Did you mean: 

Shrinking Member Count.

tag
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Re: Shrinking Member Count.

Good observation @805orbust.

I recall that membership was just under 300,000.   Now is it 198,122 as of this post's time/date stamp.

There must have been a purge of the inactive accounts.

Message 11 of 135
805orbust
Valued Contributor

@NoMoreE46  dude thats one hell of a purge... crazy.  Must have been a long time coming.  Although there are ALOT of lurkers. I can't count how many times I hear New Members comment on how they've been lurking for a long time when asking a question then you never hear from them again.. maybe just another small part of it.  

Message 12 of 135
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

@805orbust Down even more today.... interesting

Message 13 of 135
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@JoeRockhead wrote:

Here's one thought; I am a moderator on a number of other forums and we have occasionally performed house cleaning by correlating IP addresses with inactive users with known spammers.  On one site, with only a fraction of the traffic of myFICO, I ended up deleting over 300,000 users.  Not sure if that is what is going on here, but it is possible.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!

In the proverbial sock drawer:
Message 14 of 135
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Count is down to about 194,000 now.  Interesting to note that members who haven't logged in since 2008, still exist here.  

Regarding spammers, the CMs (fka the Mods) were pretty good at picking them out @Horseshoez .

@Horseshoez wrote:

@JoeRockhead wrote:

Here's one thought; I am a moderator on a number of other forums and we have occasionally performed house cleaning by correlating IP addresses with inactive users with known spammers.  On one site, with only a fraction of the traffic of myFICO, I ended up deleting over 300,000 users.  Not sure if that is what is going on here, but it is possible.

Message 15 of 135
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@NoMoreE46 wrote:

Count is down to about 194,000 now.  Interesting to note that members who haven't logged in since 2008, still exist here.  

Regarding spammers, the CMs (fka the Mods) were pretty good at picking them out @Horseshoez .

@Horseshoez wrote:

@JoeRockhead wrote:

The point I was trying to make is, as they pick out new spammers, correlating the IP Addresses of said new spammers to inactive older accounts.  Just today on another site I had two new spammers come in with IP Addresses in the 122.168.* and 223.236.* ranges, and when I checked, there were literally hundreds of older accounts on that site, all of which had either sneaky spam posts, or a pattern of user names like "markwahlberg##" (where the "##" portion was some number between "00" and "99").

The problem with these latent accounts popped up on several of the forums I moderate, years after I was minted as a moderator, and years after the accounts were created; the bot which created them circled back and posted thousands of spam messages in less than an hour.  By cleaning out old accounts you mitigate this risk.

Message 16 of 135
805orbust
Valued Contributor

Ok I gotcha. So basically at some point we're just gonna have AI fighting this battle for us on both sides eventually.

...until it decides that our existence is the problem 🤣

Message 17 of 135
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@805orbust wrote:

Ok I gotcha. So basically at some point we're just gonna have AI fighting this battle for us on both sides eventually.

...until it decides that our existence is the problem 🤣

LOL, I design AI systems, and contrary to the common belief, AI will not become sentient anytime within our life times.  Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 135
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

I have no inside connections of course. Went by cleaning house of old accounts that were no longer active for who knows how long.  Years it seems. This is from the GC 04/2017. 5 yrs ago. Many Anonymous usernames. Dont know who they were. A couple of them I knew their pattern. But doesnt mean its them. Scroll thru and see. Purging old non use user accounts?

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Garden-Club-April-2017/td-p/4906097 

Message 19 of 135
805orbust
Valued Contributor

Good stuff guys... Oh, and by the way, 181,000.  Boy we are quickly approaching a 50% purge.  Impressive. 

Message 20 of 135
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.