Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shrinking Member Count.

tag
DSTforlife
Regular Contributor

Re: Shrinking Member Count.

whew, this forum can be brutal sometimes.  I didn't think Lotta's post was demeaning.  I took it as she was making about a point about younger generations preferring social media groups over forums.

anyhooo....I'll give a DP on this original topic.  I used to frequent these boards ALOT from 2012-2016.  Since that time, I changed email addresses, forgot my password here, and had to create a new account last year.  I notice my original user account still shows up and still shows the date I last accessed it.  I also noticed that many of the posts I either started or contributed to have a bunch of Anoymous responses.

I'm assuming the Anonymous posters are those who have been deactived/purged.  It would be very interesting to know why my old account was not impacted. I know i'll never find out.

Message 121 of 134
Aim_High
Super Contributor

It appeared to me (and apparently others)  that Lotta meant to be somewhat offensive and controversial.  

The points about the generational shift may indeed be somewhat valid in terms of younger generational preferences. 

On the other hand, hardly posting or participating at all for 16 months after joining My FICO, and then making your first posting (according to their profile) to declare message boards like My FICO as "dead" isn't helpful or supportive to the community.  Even more-so, it's like an outsider came in to watch and then criticize without being a true member.  If they don't like message boards or want to participate, then why be here at all?   Even with the generational shift, I don't see how social media apps - that aren't specific to a topic like credit or finances - could ever equate to the same experience on My FICO.   The short-bullet formats on those message threads wouldn't allow members like me to pontificate!  Lol Smiley LOL  But seriously, the topics are more involved than the message space often allows or that someone wants to type on a mobile device on-the-fly.

Back in May, I noted that our membership was at 204,482.  Today, I show the current membership at only 107,434.  Smiley Sad  So now, I'm wondering if there has been further "purging" from the new moderators?    Still, we continue to add new members slowly back in.  I show at least five new profiles established today.  I imagine our member roles were inflated with idle profiles, duplicates, or spam-bots.  A small, but active, membership is a healthier community.  Bigger isn't better and I think the smaller community allows for a higher quality. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$900K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 122 of 134
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

Last month I ran into a situation where I could no longer access the MyFico forums. I entered my ID and PWD which were good and was supposedly emailed a code for 2 factor identification. Nothing was received. Tried multiple times, same result.

I found a phone # and called customer service. I was told my account info had been purged due to non use. I mention I had just logged in the previous week. The CSR said I had not purchased any Fico products since late 2020 and account info is purged for customer security purposes if not used for 2 years. I mentioned use of the forums does not require purchasing products. She kept repeating I had not purchased any products and policy requires accounts be purged of personal info.

I had to ask for a supervisor and go up the chain to resolve the situation and regain access. I think they manually re-entered data for me. I initially had set-up an account to purchase a Fico report. Later I joined the MyFico forums using the same login info. As a result, I had a common login that shared the same account data. Fortunately, I was able to retain my profile name and post history on the forums.

Long story short - those with a common account may be losing access/membership status if they don't purchase a product periodically. Best to set-up a completely seperate account profile for the MyFico forums with a different pwd. That may reduce the risk of losing membership status.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 123 of 134
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

Last month I ran into a situation where I could no longer access the MyFico forums. I entered my ID and PWD which were good and was supposedly emailed a code for 2 factor identification. Nothing was received. Tried multiple times, same result.

I found a phone # and called customer service. I was told my account info had been purged due to non use. I mention I had just logged in the previous week. The CSR said I had not purchased any Fico products since late 2020 and account info is purged for customer security purposes if not used for 2 years. I mentioned use of the forums does not require purchasing products. She kept repeating I had not purchased any products and policy requires accounts be purged of personal info.

I had to ask for a supervisor and go up the chain to resolve the situation and regain access. I think they manually re-entered data for me. I initially had set-up an account to purchase a Fico report. Later I joined the MyFico forums using the same login info. As a result, I had a common login that shared the same account data. Fortunately, I was able to retain my profile name and post history on the forums.

Long story short - those with a common account may be losing access/membership status if they don't purchase a product periodically. Best to set-up a completely seperate account profile for the MyFico forums with a different pwd. That may reduce the risk of losing membership status.

Wow that is unpleasant. Don't they realize there's a whole wing of the building dedicated to @Thomas_Thumb 

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 124 of 134
DSTforlife
Regular Contributor

I agree that forums are easier to read, and I prefer this format.  I am also in various financial related social media groups (specifically on Facebook), and there's a lot of useful information provided there.  It does, however, require more savviness (if that's a word) to navigate and find info.

The younger generations have grown up on social media, and they seem to thrive in those formats because it's what they are familiar with.  As a Gen Xer, I much more prefer simplicity.  I will also say that as the world evolves digitally, everything is becoming more complicated to navigate.  I now have to ask my kids to help me figure things out....and I used to pride myself on being computer savvy.   Smiley Very Happy

Message 125 of 134
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

I''m still around, but not near as much as I used to be due to working crazy hours out 2.5 hours from home! I'll still slide in when something noteworthy happens like a solid CLI or new card approval though.

Loss of the "official" garden took a good chunk of the fun from the site, leaving MyFico without one of its best features and the place where we all gathered and got to know the personality behind a lot of the screen names. Taking MOD powers from the likes of K-in-Boston, gdale6, UncleB, Remedios, etc was a mistake as well IMO. They earned the title and kept TOS alive while interacting with all of us, just like one of us. The KH group seems effective, but void of the essential interaction that we had previously.

And yes, needing 2 factor authentication for a forum is over the top. Experian doesn't even require this to see my CR and access freeze controls, and that is someplace I wouldn't mind it.

Message 126 of 134
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@ChargedUp wrote:

I''m still around, but not near as much as I used to be due to working crazy hours out 2.5 hours from home! I'll still slide in when something noteworthy happens like a solid CLI or new card approval though.

Loss of the "official" garden took a good chunk of the fun from the site, leaving MyFico without one of its best features and the place where we all gathered and got to know the personality behind a lot of the screen names. Taking MOD powers from the likes of K-in-Boston, gdale6, UncleB, Remedios, etc was a mistake as well IMO. They earned the title and kept TOS alive while interacting with all of us, just like one of us. The KH group seems effective, but void of the essential interaction that we had previously.

And yes, needing 2 factor authentication for a forum is over the top. Experian doesn't even require this to see my CR and access freeze controls, and that is someplace I wouldn't mind it.

I kudo this post!! 

Message 127 of 134
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

Re: Shrinking Member Count; how long until we're below 100,000?

I just noticed our member count hit 101,100 today; I'm guessing we're going to be south of "six-figures" pretty soon.  Any bets on how long until that happens?

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 128 of 134
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

@Horseshoez wrote:

I just noticed our member count hit 101,100 today; I'm guessing we're going to be south of "six-figures" pretty soon.  Any bets on how long until that happens?

This site deletes inactive accounts and allows only one user per person! Unlike other sites that people have multiple accounts and majority of users are inactive and thier accounts are kept to inflate member numbers.

Message 129 of 134
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@CYBERSAM wrote:

@Horseshoez wrote:

This site deletes inactive accounts and allows only one user per person! Unlike other sites that people have multiple accounts and majority of users are inactive and thier accounts are kept to inflate member numbers.

I moderate a number of forums, mostly automotive and aviation related, and we are very aggressive when it comes to duplicate accounts.  Do it once, the second account gets banned; do it again and all accounts get banned.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 130 of 134
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.