Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

getting married with separate finances

tag
SeaProbe
Regular Contributor

Re: getting married with separate finances

@GTS wrote:

@Rogue46I couldn't have said this any better. My significant other and I have been together for 10yrs and living together for 7yrs and and talking about marriage. We have a system to split the bills that works. She is a little less irresponsible and I have been working with her. At this point I would never get a joint account with her. I save for the future and any misfortune and she doesn't, she likes to splurge after her bills are paid. My fear is that with a joint account she would spend the "savings". Her credit is in the toilet and I have been rebuilding mine (because I used to be like her). Or with a joint credit card she would max it out. I would never not have her back if she would become unemployed or whatnot, that's what I save for, I'm just a little more mature when it comes to finances.

Well said.

Compatibility covers a broad spectrum, of which money is just one part. The key, as always, is finding ways to make things work. Separate finances can absolutely help keep the relationship thriving when differing money habits would otherwise derail things.

I really see it similar to a food allergy; we can enjoy different foods and still have a great meal together.

Message 11 of 30
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@GTS wrote:

If people get married but don't get joint accounts, cards, mortgage,  etc can one who is financially irresponsible affect the others credit?

Technically, in the circumstances you describe, if one of the two has bad credit, it has no direct effect on the other's credit.

But if two people are married, their lives are intertwined, which can wind up in many ways causing one spouse's finances to impact the other's.

Examples: Spouse A can't afford to pay for things, so Spouse B has to pick up the slack.

Spouse A has judgment creditors, who can try to levy on Spouse B's bank accounts used to support Spouse A.

Spouse A owes a lot of taxes, so Spouse B can't get the benefit of a joint tax return without becoming liable for Spouse A's taxes, so Spouse B winds up paying more taxes.

Total revolving limits 710800 (590300 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 712 TU 710 EX 710

Message 12 of 30
iced
Valued Contributor

@privacyadvocate69 wrote:

I guess if I couldn't trust someone I wanted to marry with money or credit, I don't feel I could trust her with much of anything else.

I also think it is inaccurate to refer to a pot of money as "our" money if only one person has control over it.

Our decision to keep everything separate had nothing to do with trust, but rather convenience. There is visibility into each others' finances (we've linked Fidelity accounts and share statements from other accounts, as examples) so nothing's hidden, but it's a pain to combine and an even bigger pain to separate should it ever be needed, and for no gain in doing so.

Simply put, there's nothing to gain by having joint accounts but something to lose in doing the same.

Message 13 of 30
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@Horseshoez wrote:

Long story short, no one financial formula works for every couple; it takes communicating with one another and a lot of hard work to keep a marriage together, even if money isn't a problem, and if there are financial issues, things are even more difficult.

^^^ This

Message 14 of 30
robsteriam

My wife and I have all of our finances together. Regarding loans, we are currently renting. However, our last house was financed only under my wife's name. The thinking behind that was to get an investment property under my name. I manage our finances, I ensure all the bills get paid on time, I pay off our CC, and we each get an allowance from our check to spend freely on anything we want without feeling guilty. She's not great with money but I am, and that's the reason I manage our money. As long as I give her a "budget" on how much she can spend, she sticks to it. She trusts my judgment and decisions when it comes to our finances.

We have one bank, which is a joint account. We have multiple savings accounts (Emergency, Travel, and Everything else), which my wife has full access to but no visibility when she logs in. It helps her not overspend :-).

The most important aspect of our relationship is open and honest communication. I learned from my previous relationship money was challenging to talk about and caused a lot of strife. My wife and I speak freely about money regularly, which is very important.

Active Accounts:

Next Card:
March 2023 FICO Scores:

Last signature update: 03/08/2023
Message 15 of 30
Gladius
Frequent Contributor

Separate CCs, separate checking and savings, separate car payments, 2 joint savings accounts which we both contribute accordingly, 1 joint checking, two shared CCs (0 balance), joint mortgage.  It's all about convenience.

Message 16 of 30
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@GTS wrote:

If people get married but don't get joint accounts, cards, mortgage,  etc can one who is financially irresponsible affect the others credit?

The correct answer is NO. However, late payments on bills such as utilities or cable/phone bills may impact certain credit scores for both if both names are listed.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 17 of 30
Latoria

Nowadays, separate finance in a couple is a great idea. It allows everyone to be responsible for their credit score and make both expensive and cheap purchases without their spouse.

Message 18 of 30
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Latoria wrote:

Nowadays, separate finance in a couple is a great idea. It allows everyone to be responsible for their credit score and make both expensive and cheap purchases without their spouse.

Ummm, wut?

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 19 of 30
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Latoria wrote:

Say what? Were on to you and your posts and threads you've started @Latoria. Lets see how your own thoughts are. Not something thats generated.

Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.