cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If your s/o doesn't have some kind of income....

tag
Rangel11984

Re: If your s/o doesn't have some kind of income....

I would disagree. I went into my marriage with a game plan of my wife being a stay at home. Then we had a special needs child and she definitley need to stay home. With that being said budgeting has become an important part of our financial health. With a couple of tune ups and a steady budget you can make it work. I mean it does help to have a good income but having a game plan is key. 

Message 11 of 14
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

It all comes down to communications, expectations and income of the single earner.

My brother and his wife were both lawyers. She quit her job and moved to be with him when they married. She has never had a paying job since although she does a lot of volunteer work. That was 35 years ago and they remain happily married. Of course, her not working had been discussed before marriage.

My guess is the OP either did not have the single income discussion or did but there was an expectation that both needed to work to make ends meet. In that case we are dealing with a deadbeat spouse. That can become a real hardship in retirement if savings are low and an estranged couple only has a single SSI benefit.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 12 of 14
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

My wife is a stay at home mom and we wouldn't have it any other way.  

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 13 of 14
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

My wife and I were both working when we married, at the time I was earning about 3x her income; then her climb up the corporate ladder started, and not long after our second child was born she was making 3x my income.  Then my income dropped to about half its previous levels while hers continued to rise, and just as she was becoming a little annoyed with my lack of income, during the recession I might add, her company imploded and she lost her job.  We both managed to bring our incomes back up over the next decade or so, not to previous levels, but good enough to survive after downsizing, and then during the whole COVID thing her company was working her like crazy and all but demanding 30+ extra hours per week with no pay; after begging for months, I finally got her to quit.  Fortunately since the start of the pandemic my income has doubled, so she is now free to do whatever makes her happy, even if she doesn't earn another dime for the rest of her life.  Smiley Happy

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.