cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If your s/o doesn't have some kind of income....

tag
Annabe
Established Member

If your s/o doesn't have some kind of income....

I can't stress this enough!!!!

If your S/O does not have some kind of income coming in at the very begining of your relationship/engagement.....RUUUUUUNNNNNNNNN! AS FAST AS YOU CAN THE OTHER DIRECTION!!!!!!!  I repeat RUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNN! I am living a nightmare after 23 years of being married to this situation. UGH! And I am afraid that I may be headed toward a Bankruptcy (along with a divorce!) 

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

Re: If your s/o doesn't have some kind of income....

One size does not fit all.

I'm very sorry you're dealing with this, but this was the situation I was in many years ago. It all turned out pretty well for us, so it can work. What matters most is that your philosophies on money (saving, spending, prioritization of expenses) align well. Without that, it won't matter how much money is brought in or by whom.

Message 2 of 14
DONZI
Established Contributor

23 years is a long time.

If your advise is based on the last 3 years, maybe it's not quite so simple?  ..lots of new factors emerged in the recent past, and continue to bubble up.

Could it be that the response/defense by the s/o and you about recent chaos is something new and different.. and maybe convo about it and a plan is just late coming?

2014 credit2020 credit2021 credit2023 credit
paypal credit imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecharge card image
[2020-12-09]=[EQ8|786]-[TU8|746]-[EX8|772] .... gardening until I can't (again).
[2023-10-01]=[EQ8|797]-[TU8|776]-[EX8|775]
Message 3 of 14
Rogue46
Established Contributor

Maybe I'm missing some context here but that's a pretty big red flag going into a relationship.. Why would you possibly stay with someone that won't or cannot contribute financially to the relationship?

Message 4 of 14
Creditwiser
Valued Contributor

@Rogue46 wrote:

Maybe I'm missing some context here but that's a pretty big red flag going into a relationship.. Why would you possibly stay with someone that won't or cannot contribute financially to the relationship?

I'm willing to bet there are still many couples in a one income relationship / marriage.  Contibutions come in other forms aside from monetary. Understanding that this is the 21 century , there's a lot to be said for stay-at-home moms / dads / couples with families.  Not for me, but I know a few who do this happily & willingly. 

NFCU Visa 30k | NFCU Platinum 30k | Cap1 QS 12K | Cap1 QS 11.5K | Barclay MC 9k | Delta Gold Amex 30K | Discover IT 14K | CFNA FS 3200 | CareCredit 20k| Paypal Credit 5k |
Message 5 of 14
Rogue46
Established Contributor

@Creditwiser wrote:

@Rogue46 wrote:

I'm willing to bet there are still many couples in a one income relationship / marriage.  Contibutions come in other forms aside from monetary. Understanding that this is the 21 century , there's a lot to be said for stay-at-home moms / dads / couples with families.  Not for me, but I know a few who do this happily & willingly. 

@Creditwiser 

Agreed, I know plenty of people that choose to be stay at home moms/dads which is fine but the tone here almost implies the OP was given no choice at the beginning and throughout the relationship that they are unwilling to work or otherwise provide some monetary help especially with the possibility of having to file for bankruptcy. But let's not jump to conclusions. It's best to wait for the OP to come back and offer more context.

Message 6 of 14
Jesse123
New Visitor

I agree with you. There's a lot more to contribute to a happy and healthy family besides the source of income.

Message 7 of 14
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

Ouch! Sorry OP! It's a case by case issue though, I've tried to get DW to quit working her medical practice for 2 years now.. no luck! She likes her independence while at work. 

originally it started off with her not working and me making 80-100k-ish. Times have changed quite drastically!

Message 8 of 14
MarkintheHV
Frequent Contributor

I didnt know true love had a check box for bank accounts/employment status

What's in my wallet?
NFCU Flagship - 80k | AmEx Delta Reserve - $70k | Citi AA Executive - $37k | AmEx Delta Reserve Biz - 60k | Citi AA Biz - 20k
Message 9 of 14
CorpCrMgr1
Valued Contributor

I totally understand. Early in my marriage I was in that situation. Between child care, gas, wear and tear on her car, and time spent on the road she could have worked down the street at a fast food place and made the same money plus gotten free lunch. Must add she had a degree from one of the top universities. Her then boss had a h.s. diploma and another was in her first year of community college.

She did finally get her act together. Seven years after her B.A. and grad school. All of which I paid. It was basically too late.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.