Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying off the credit card

tag
Fester82
Established Member

Paying off the credit card

I'm getting inheritance at the end of the year and plan on paying off my credit cards. I've been playing with the scenarios to get the biggest bang for my buck. My question is though should I pay it all off at once or do what the scenario said and don't pay them all off but leave a 10% balance and pay it off over 12 months instead of just one lump sum. Not exactly sure what to do thank you

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Friendlyfranknbeans
Established Member

Re: Paying off the credit card

Pay it all off. Debt free is the way to be. 30-45 days your score will skyrocket. If you have trash credit then get a large secured card (5,000) or a pledge loan from NCFU and you'll be good. 

Message 2 of 4
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Fester82 wrote:

I'm getting inheritance at the end of the year and plan on paying off my credit cards. I've been playing with the scenarios to get the biggest bang for my buck. My question is though should I pay it all off at once or do what the scenario said and don't pay them all off but leave a 10% balance and pay it off over 12 months instead of just one lump sum. Not exactly sure what to do thank you

There is zero benefit to staying in debt, especially when there is interest you could put to better use elsewhere; pay it all off, leave one card reporting say, $10 to avoid the All-Zero scoring penalty, and watch your scores rise.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 3 of 4
Fester82
Established Member

Thank you very much

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.