Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove a authorized user from closed account

tag
vanskills
Valued Member

How to remove a authorized user from closed account

American Express...

I am a autorized user off on a AMEX account where the card holder faulted on their debt ($15,000) in 2020 and its showing on my credit report.

Should i call AMEX or dispute it with credit agencies

thanks

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: How to remove a authorized user from closed account

Call AMEX.800-528-4800  If that doesnt work then you can dispute it. Save disputes as a last resort.

Message 2 of 8
RSX
Valued Contributor

i would call Amex first and see what they can do

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 3 of 8
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

@vanskills wrote:

American Express...

I am a autorized user off on a AMEX account where the card holder faulted on their debt ($15,000) in 2020 and its showing on my credit report.

thanks

Just dispute it with the bureaus.   Indicate "I am an authorized user only, I am not responsible for this debt."   They will remove it from your reports.   This is an easy fix.

Message 4 of 8
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

@vanskills wrote:

American Express...

thanks

You should contact AMEX and have yourself removed properly, just in case you want to do future business with them.

Message 5 of 8
pbtxlady
Established Member

Not Amex, but I just recently did this. TU removed the acct immediately from my report. Equifax took about 2 weeks and I got constant alerts (no score changes). Ultimately they did remove it, but even though my report clearly said authorized user, they still went through the whole verification process with the creditor (and made me very nervous in the meantime). 

Message 6 of 8
7774x
Established Contributor

@RSX wrote:

i would call Amex first and see what they can do

Did the AU also place charges on the Card ?.. If not ask for removal from CRs

Message 7 of 8
journeyto

Adding a 2nd to this. I was an authorized user on my husband's account with Citi. It was charged off and went to collections on his report, but mine was showing a Closed Account, Charge Off. I called Citi and they couldn't locate the account with mine or my husband's SSN. I disputed online with Transunion (only place it was reporting) and it was literally instantly removed. I got the confirmation email "Dispute Recieved, Investigation in Process", ONE MINUTE later the "Dispute Investigation Completed" email came in saying it was Deleted. I couldn't believe it!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.