Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

700+ is my goal, advice appreciated

tag
twilliam1313
Established Member

Re: 700+ is my goal, advice appreciated

Did you get the Amex with those charge offs reporting?

Message 11 of 14
Snook_on_the_Line
Regular Contributor

The ones that charged off in 2017 are just about ready to fall off the report.     You could try a dispute with 'too old to report' being the reason.       This will cause the CRA to verify the date of the delinquency with the creditor.     It may or may not result in the charge off being dropped off your report now.    
I've had mixed results.   I had two collections removed six months early.  I also had two that had their 'data updated', whatever that means.      Looking at the reports side by side I saw no difference between before and after.  Those aged off at their 7 year mark.

as for adding new accounts I would wait 

most prime issuers want nothing to do with those of us with past charge offs. 

a piece of advice I was given early on in my rebuild was 'app for the cards you Want/Need, not the cards you can get'

meaning in the beginning of a rebuild you app for rebuilder cards because you need them to establish positive payment history and usage stats.    

after that just tend the garden for however long it takes for all baddies to fall off

Then app for the cards you want

for me it was over two years.   
started in the 500s with five collections and a charged off auto loan

now I'm in the 750s because I didn't keep getting cards along the way.   
everytime you get a new card you take a hard inq hit and lower your average age of accounts

Im just about ready to start shopping for a new card now

Starting Score:FICO8s 505ex, 508 eq&tu
Current Score:FICO8s 758ex,752tu,766eq
Goal Score: 800+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Current cards:
Cap1 platinum 200
Cap1 Walmart 1500
Credit one Amex 550
Mission lane visa 400
Lowe’s 30,000
Rebuilding since 12/2021

Always pif, never late
0/24 on inq’s & new accounts
AAoA 2.2years
All time highs (fico8) :

Formerly known as @44456009a
My FIs. WF & AMEX
Message 12 of 14
Snook_on_the_Line
Regular Contributor

Why not try for some soft pull CLIs on the accounts you already have to pad your uti.

If those are your only negative marks on your reports, and you hold off on opening any new accounts

AND , if you keep up 100% on time payments and your uti low while waiting those charge off out, your scores should  jump way past 700 as soon as the last one falls off

I saw a 78 point jump in my fico 8s as soon as my last collection was removed.  

Starting Score:FICO8s 505ex, 508 eq&tu
Current Score:FICO8s 758ex,752tu,766eq
Goal Score: 800+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Current cards:
Cap1 platinum 200
Cap1 Walmart 1500
Credit one Amex 550
Mission lane visa 400
Lowe’s 30,000
Rebuilding since 12/2021

Always pif, never late
0/24 on inq’s & new accounts
AAoA 2.2years
All time highs (fico8) :

Formerly known as @44456009a
My FIs. WF & AMEX
Message 13 of 14
Onthemove24
Established Member

When my one charge off dropped off my credit reports last fall, my score jumped up nicely despite still having collections.  The monthly reporting and high utilization was really affecting my score.  P.S.  I did do early exclusion with Transunion, but I think I let the other two drop off on their own time schedule which was at about 7 years. 

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.