Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Avoid Checking Account Maintenance Fees

tag
FicoMike0
Established Contributor

Re: How to Avoid Checking Account Maintenance Fees

There's also the issue of early closing fee or penalty.  Most don't have them, some have 6 months. It's generally considered poor form to close after less than 6 months anyway. The only one I have a special note on is associated, they claw back bonus if closed less than a year. They offer $600 sub, I'll put up with them for a year with no fee no min. Who knows, I might decide I like them.

my strategy is close single account banks first, get their app off my phone. Since I have both a cc and attractive savings at capone, I have to force myself to close checking there.

I should close amex, but I kinda like them. Everyone has a visa or mc debit card, amex, not so much. Only rewards debit card I have too, but I never spend with debit, lol. Irrational.

Message 11 of 37
CorpCrMgr1
Valued Contributor

Having a CU for my main financial institution, another for certain expenses, and a major bank, I don't play the SUB any longer. Did it a couple of times and it wasn't fun. Just my experience.

Message 12 of 37
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

I believe OP isn't really looking for free checking per se, they presumably are targetting accounts with good SUBs, and then wondering how to avoid fees on those.  But since that can be hard, going for lower SUBs on accounts without minimums (or otherwise easily waivable fees) may make more sense

Message 13 of 37
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

I believe OP isn't really looking for free checking per se, they presumably are targetting accounts with good SUBs, and then wondering how to avoid fees on those.  But since that can be hard, going for lower SUBs on accounts without minimums (or otherwise easily waivable fees) may make more sense

To be a really good sub chaser you need to be in an Alula-class sub.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 14 of 37
FicoMike0
Established Contributor

@Horseshoez  that brings up the triva question, what is the most powerful fighting vehicle in history?

The Ohio class sub! Worldwide  unrefueled range, carries 24 trident slbms each of which carries 8 reentry vehicles, allowing it to attack 192 targets. Each rv delivers a 400 kt warhead, more than 10 x the yield of the Hiroshima or Nagasaki devices.

Message 15 of 37
Beast26
Established Contributor

Yes this is right.  I saw some people on doctor of credit comments saying they get the monthly fee on some banks waived sometimes if the bonus takes a while to hit.  I know BMO bank right now requires a $10,000 daily balance to keep the highest account free.  I've also seen where some have downgraded and upgraded their accounts before the bonus hit also.

Revolving history: 2 years 4months across the board
AAoA:
TU: 5yrs 10months
EX: 2yrs 2 months
EQ: ~5yrs 6 months
Inquiries: Ex: 1/12. EQ: 1/12 Tu: 1/12
As of 10-5-2020

Quicksilver $3,000
Discover It Miles $17,500
Chase Freedom Flex $4,400
Amazon Prime Store Card $6,000
Walmart MC $2,500
Wells Fargo Active Cash $8,000
Citi Custom Cash $8,400
Verizon Visa $20,000
Message 16 of 37
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

Transfering over some money 1/month frequently works, because their systems can't always tell the difference between a random ACH transfer and a direct deposit, and DDs are usually one of the ways to bypass the monthly charges. But that requires some research and luck, because banks often exclude ACH transfers from other popular institutions, and the only way to tell is crowd-sourced DPs. Some like Chase are very restrictive, though many smaller financial institutions will see almost any ACH as a DD. The only real guarantees are if you use a real direct deposit from your employer (works best if you can just login and switch it), or if you have a subscription to one of the online payroll systems.

Message 17 of 37
FicoMike0
Established Contributor

Right about bmo and the fee is $25. However, their 2nd tier account is no fee, no min. Their bonus timeline is long, 120 days. I  went with the 2nd tier account for a lesser sub, to avoid fee. Opened in December, just collected the $400!

Message 18 of 37
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

@Beast26 wrote:

How do you guys avoid high maintenance fees with checking accounts have a minimum daily  balance of around $5000 when churning multiple bank accounts?  Do you actually leave the $5000 tied up on the account for the duration of getting the bonus or is there another way?

Oftentimes, it is $5,000 collectively among all deposit accounts and this can include savings and even CDs.  

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 19 of 37
FicoMike0
Established Contributor

I think $5000 is often mostly with chase. Even the wells cargo highwaymen only ask for $500. And that can be gotten around by smirfing a dd monthly. Amex, CapOne, Fidelity all are no fee, no min. USB is if your young, old or have their cc.

Message 20 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.