Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me help a family member! debt settlement

tag
WildestDreams
Regular Contributor

Help me help a family member! debt settlement

I hope this is the correct forum, sorry if it is not.

I am trying to help a family member avoid what I think might be a huge mistake (maybe I am wrong ??) by going with a debt settlement company/plan.

Details:

$30,000 in credit card /personal loan debt

Current on everything, only able to make minimums which are $1,200 a month.

Plan from the settlement company is $495 a month for 48 months. 

Single mom with 3 kids under 11, works full time and clears about $5600 a month. 

She cannot take on a second job, has been applying for higher paying jobs with the kids its hard to find felxible employeers. 

Overall has no way to reduce expenses - rent is low for her area, ditched cable already, doesn't eat out, no real beeding of money in her budget.

She has no one to borrow enough from to make a difference.

Denied for a consolidation loans

I suggested auto loan refinance however her current rate is 4.9%  not sure she'd get approved for a refi if she can't get consolidation loan.

Am I overlooking other options? Is debt settlement really the only path?

I'd really like to help her, open to any ideas, thank you

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
GZG
Valued Contributor

Re: Help me help a family member! debt settlement

it's my understanding debt settlement companies usually work by defaulting on all of your loans and then settling them. 

if you're going to do that, just file BK

Single mom with 3 kids under 11, works full time and clears about $5600 a month.

I imagine daycare/babysitting is eating into the $4400?  if not, I'd go through the budget again. 

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 2 of 12
WildestDreams
Regular Contributor

@GZG wrote:

it's my understanding debt settlement companies usually work by defaulting on all of your loans and then settling them. 

if you're going to do that, just file BK

I imagine daycare/babysitting is eating into the $4400?  if not, I'd go through the budget again. 

Thanks. I told her yesterday that BK is probably better then debt settlement. 

Since i've been trying to help I do know most of her budget 

Rent - $2800

Debt payments - $1,200

Car - $630

Groceries - $450

Internet / Cell - $150

Gas - $130

Electric - $100

Car Insurance - $100

Total = $5560 / $5600

I cannot figure out anything to fix/change in the budget

Message 3 of 12
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

The only thing a debt settlement company is going to do is tell her to stop paying her bills, (so they can negotiate with her creditors). Once that happens,  the lates, charge offs and collections start hitting her reports and wrecking her credit completely. 

There is no special knowledge they posses, nor anything any of these companies can do, that someone can't do for themselves... for free.

While bankruptcy might be worth exploring, I'd also recommend looking into any hardship programs her current lenders may offer including interest rate reductions.

Message 4 of 12
WildestDreams
Regular Contributor

@JoeRockhead wrote:

The only thing a debt settlement company is going to do is tell her to stop paying her bills, (so they can negotiate with her creditors). Once that happens,  the lates, charge offs and collections start hitting her reports and wrecking her credit completely. 

There is no special knowledge they posses, nor anything any of these companies can do, that someone can't do for themselves... for free.

While bankruptcy might be worth exploring, I'd also recommend looking into any hardship programs her current lenders may offer including interest rate reductions.

Thank you. I had suggested she try for hardship or rate reduction plans last year, most of the creditors only had temporary ones if anything, might be worth another try. 

I tried to explain that these companies who are offering her a 'deal' at paying only $500 a month are really just holding on to her money and waiting for settlements while her credit tanks further, harassing calls start and the charge offs/lates are probably just as bad a bankruptcy.  I'm also assuming that some creditors refuse to settle with these programs. Am I correct that if she stops paying on her own she can just ask the creditors to settle just as these companies would? 

Realistically when if ever would a consolidation loan make sense? pending she could get approved, I know her 70-something% utilization is NOT good. 

Message 5 of 12
FlaDude
Established Contributor

@WildestDreams wrote:

Realistically when if ever would a consolidation loan make sense? pending she could get approved, I know her 70-something% utilization is NOT good. 

I'm not sure the value is really consolidation, it is really interest rate reduction, assuming you can significantly improve the interest rate. At one point I had 2k/min payments and 950 was going to interest. Over the course of about a year and a half I got new 0% BT cards and lower interest rate loans and got down to around $200/month in interest. My min payments weren't any lower, but a lot more was going to paying down the balance and over the course of a few years all got paid off. I had the advantage of my wife having great scores because most of the debt was in my name so she got a couple of good SL 0% BT cards to get the ball rolling. Once some of that debt was out of my name, scores went up and I got three comparitively low interest loans.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 6 of 12
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

@WildestDreams  There are credit unions that offer debt consolidation loans. Here are three of them Alliant, Affinity, and Penfed.  The check the credit union for rates and length of time for a loan decision. Getting  the payments cut in half or more plus a much lower rate would help.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 7 of 12
FicoMike0
Established Contributor

That budget looks tight, except the rent.  Wow, I'm sure glad I own my house. I did a quick calc. At 10%, you can pay off $30000 in 48 months at $761 a month.  20% takes it to $913. She's paying some eye watering interest! New  0% card with balance transfer, credit union personal loan, try anything. 

If you post each loan, balance and interest rate, you might get more specific advice. Oh, post fico8 scores to. The solution may be a combination, not some big magic fix.

Message 8 of 12
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

@WildestDreams wrote:

@JoeRockhead wrote:

Thank you. I had suggested she try for hardship or rate reduction plans last year, most of the creditors only had temporary ones if anything, might be worth another try. 

I tried to explain that these companies who are offering her a 'deal' at paying only $500 a month are really just holding on to her money and waiting for settlements while her credit tanks further, harassing calls start and the charge offs/lates are probably just as bad a bankruptcy.  I'm also assuming that some creditors refuse to settle with these programs. Am I correct that if she stops paying on her own she can just ask the creditors to settle just as these companies would? 

From everything I've seen, it seems bankruptcy has a less obstructive path to recovery. It's true that a Chapter 7 stays on the report for 10 years but, under bankruptcy protections, there are no more calls from creditors, or collection agencies. No worries of being sued, and have seen lots of people here getting credit again in relatively short order. 

In contrast, the path of "debt relief" isn't as simple as these companies make it sound. There's always the very real possibilities of collections being reported in addition to the charge offs, not to mention the statute of limitations and being sued by creditors. While some might argue that one's credit can recover in seven years, keep in mind that with a BK the damage to your credit is done all at once. With debt relief, or defaulting on your own, the hits don't come all at once, they come spread out.

First comes the 30 day lates, then 60, then 90, then 120. at that point maybe some creditors deem an account a CO. Maybe some others wait until the account is 180 days late before claiming a CO. Then there will be differing time lines when accounts might be placed with a collection agency and further still, when those collections get reported. All the while, there's still the unknown of whether or not any of them will pursue legal action, and when.

My point is, unlike a BK, all this adverse information comes staggered, over several months, or even years, which can extend the recovery time of someone's credit reports well beyond 7 years. It's a frustrating, uphill battle... the entire time. Yes there is always a possibility that a creditor is unwilling to negotiate, or settle for less, with anyone. Like I said, these companies have no special knowledge, powers, or inside connections to ease the damage that will be done to someone's credit. 

I have walked this path myself (defaulted on my own), as have others here. I had any kind of adverse information, and action reported and taken against me you can name, including a repo, judgements, and a tax lien for the cherry on top. I couldn't file for BK because of my high income, but, because of my income, I was able to get myself right again (in more ways than one). With all the lingering effects to my credit scores, it took me more than 10+ years of paying cash for everything, and before my reports were completely clean. Only then was I able to get approved for mainstream cards, etc... My Fico 8 scores at their lowest sunk to, EQ 478, TU 478, EX 446. Today they are EQ 802, TU 799, EX 796.

There have been some good suggestions here regarding loans from a CU, etc... I would encourage your family member to either pursue all these options, or seek a consultation with a BK attorney. 

Message 9 of 12
WildestDreams
Regular Contributor

Thank you all. I am showing her these posts, not sure she believed me that all the lates get reported before any possible settlements can be reached with these companines, sounds a lot worse than BK reporting. The compaines she spoke with made it sound like a loan from them with little credit impact.

Thanks for the credit unions idea, maybe condensing he a few of her credit cards - shes got 3 that have 31.99% APRs and another 2 with 29.99% - would help. I'm guessing she got denied for a $30,000 loan partly due to the ammount, maybe a lesser amount would be more realistic. 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.