Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied checking accounts at multiple banks

tag
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Denied checking accounts at multiple banks

Recently I got the idea to take advange of some checking account sign on offers. I researched a bunch of banks and started opening accounts. This was actually benefical because I'm going to maintain relationships with a number of them. Especially when they offers savings accounts at close to 5%. Yup, I moved some money!  Anyway, I was surprised when I got denied by a number of banks. They are -

Bank Hometown

Bank of America

Citizens

Santander

Chase

M&T

BMO

I received a letter from BoA. It shows a deposit account score of 715 . It lists the key factors that adverserly affected my score as -

The number of different banks inquiring during the past year

The maximum number of days the consumer has had an open account(s)

It kind of sounds like this is a version of too many inquiries. Never knew it existed for checking accounts.

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 690 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800 / Apple Card - $2700 / Walmart Mastercard - $2500

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Denied checking accounts at multiple banks

That's exactly why you were denied....they are pulling your Chexsystems report...you can request a free copy like you can your credit report...and many/most banks will pull that prior to opening an account.   Liken it to applying to too many credit cards and banks seeing too many recent inquires or new accounts reporting and they too will deny you for credit.  With credit at least, there's some variations in which CB banks will pull so not all banks will see all inquires....but checking/savings accounts...they mostly all go to 1 source.  

Bank Account Spree = BAD 

Message 2 of 20
masscredit
Valued Contributor

@cashorcharge wrote:

That's exactly why you were denied....they are pulling your Chexsystems report...you can request a free copy like you can your credit report...and many/most banks will pull that prior to opening an account.   Liken it to applying to too many credit cards and banks seeing too many recent inquires or new accounts reporting and they too will deny you for credit.  With credit at least, there's some variations in which CB banks will pull so not all banks will see all inquires....but checking/savings accounts...they mostly all go to 1 source.  

Bank Account Spree = BAD 

How old do the new accounts have to be before they don't matter anymore?

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800 / Apple Card - $2700 / Walmart Mastercard - $2500

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 3 of 20
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@masscredit wrote:

@cashorcharge wrote:

Bank Account Spree = BAD 

That's really a bank specific thing...and I haven't seen a lot of data points on here like you do for Credit Card Applications/Timing...my guess would be just that...a guess

Message 4 of 20
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@masscredit wrote:

Recently I got the idea to take advange of some checking account sign on offers. I researched a bunch of banks and started opening accounts. This was actually benefical because I'm going to maintain relationships with a number of them. Especially when they offers savings accounts at close to 5%. Yup, I moved some money!  Anyway, I was surprised when I got denied by a number of banks. They are -

Bank Hometown

Bank of America

Citizens

Santander

Chase

M&T

BMO

I received a letter from BoA. It shows a deposit account score of 715 . It lists the key factors that adverserly affected my score as -

The number of different banks inquiring during the past year

The maximum number of days the consumer has had an open account(s)

It kind of sounds like this is a version of too many inquiries. Never knew it existed for checking accounts.

Yes it does.

Total revolving limits 710800 (590300 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 712 TU 710 EX 710

Message 5 of 20
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@masscredit wrote:

@cashorcharge wrote:

Bank Account Spree = BAD 

It is believed by many to require a minimum 3-month hiatus between new accounts.

Total revolving limits 710800 (590300 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 712 TU 710 EX 710

Message 6 of 20
GZG
Valued Contributor

@masscredit wrote:

Bank Hometown

Bank of America

Citizens

Santander

Chase

M&T

BMO

I would be incredibly surprised for BoA and Chase if you couldn't just go in branch and be approved.

way more surprised personally you got denied at BMO, my chex score is like 600 (just inquires) and BMO instantly approved me online, perhaps you can go in branch there as well. 

but yeah, grab you that $900 chase coupon code and open the account in branch would be my next step, personally

BoA should honor the online $200 checking offer as well in branch, they did for me

it doesn't surprise me that like Citizens and MT and Santander are more skittish to high bank account velocity, other than any bonuses they had, no real loss, IMO

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 7 of 20
masscredit
Valued Contributor

@GZG  My mistake. I did get approved for BMO. $400 for ACH deposits totaling $7500.  I'll get about $1700 after I complete all the requirements. It's been interesting trying to do this. Square shut down my account pretty quick. That was after I charged one of my cards, then set up a transfer to move to Money to my Capital One 360 checking. Now they are holding it hostage for three months.  I have a business account as a sole proprietor. It's set up under my Social Security number and not under a TIN. I didn't want to jump through the hoops for that so I scratch that idea. I like the challenge though. Never did this before.

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 8 of 20
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@cashorcharge wrote:

@masscredit wrote:

@cashorcharge wrote:

Bank Account Spree = BAD 

That's really a bank specific thing...and I haven't seen a lot of data points on here like you do for Credit Card Applications/Timing...my guess would be just that...a guess

It's very much a YMMV but IME it's at least 12 months and the level of sensitivity to new accounts also varies from bank to bank. 

Consistent with an earlier comment made in the thread you may have more luck with smaller local banks that have a branch either in your town or 1 town over when you apply in branch, but given the number of your recent attempts you might want to hold off from trying to open any accounts for the next several months.

(5/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 9 of 20
FicoMike0
Established Contributor

According to

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/bank-account-reference-pages/

these pull Chex: bmo, Santander

And these pull EarlyWarning: BoA, chase, Santander

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.