cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Title company wants SS number from seller

tag
SCarpenter

Title company wants SS number from seller

I am selling my home. The title search company has asked for my SSN to run a credit report. Why do they do this?

2 REPLIES 2
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

Re: Title company wants SS number from seller

Aside from using it to satisfy IRS reporting requirements after a completed sale, they may want to run a consumer report to look for any type of liens which might be an issue.

Message 2 of 3
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Title company wants SS number from seller

Title company doesn't run a credit report, but they do run a public records search which is most likely why your SS# was asked for.  You might even be required to complete a form called the "Statement of Information" (example) which asks about the past 10 years of your employment history, residence history and other personal information.  To get the most accurate answer for your own situation I'd recommend you ask the title company this question since they are the party that is requesting it.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.