Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELOC shopping

tag
citymunky
Established Contributor

HELOC shopping

I'm in the beginning stages of trying to make a primary home a rental when I have to move cross country this summer for work.

I have over $100K in equity but the house would need some minor updates to make it competitive in the local rental market (ie flooring, paint, newer appliances). 

Since I have low interest, a Cash-Out refinance is not an option, and I don't want a HEL as I don't want to pull out a set amont of equity as I don't have any big purchases planned, and I don't need a  debt payout.

So I was looking into HELOCs.

-I looked to AVEN CC and was pre-approved with a SP, but with a APR of  12% with no real access to cash, I'm not 100% sold on the product. IIRC there was $250 cash advance fee to take an amount from the CL and deposit it to banking account.

-Figure. Another Fintech, was offer somewhere in the 11% APR, but I wasn't fan of the small print. They require large minimum drawn,  (i forget the details) but I didn't want a bill for cash that I wasn't using yet.  Also you weren't to pull form paid backed funds, so not a HELOC.

- Citizens Bank Current approved for $90K with a EQ HP  at 11.5% APR with a $50 AF. I didn't mean to apply but they pulled my credit when I unfroze my EQ for Chase (loan officer wanted a triple pull). They keep calling and emailing to close, but I don't like the high APR.

-US Bank. Was pre-approved for $90K with a TU HP at 9.5% APR, but was denied with they found out I had a loan modification on my mortgage in the past during the dark time. Sucks because they were awesome to deal with for the most part. 

- Signature FCU. I joined because I read good things about this CU. Was pre-approved for $90K with EQ HP, the loan officer had ticked me a few times, and he keeps pressuring me to do stuff but everything is "time critical", however what info I get from him via email or over the phone didn't match the info in app well as the disclosure has a incorrect fee structure for a HELOC. 

Also they are want wayyyyy to much data financial data (ie. All my assets with account info like IRA, HYSAs, MMAs), all my liabilities to include Child Support, which I listed.  Upon providing the amount of CS, they wanted a copy of my divorce to make sure I was not also paying alimony and to confirm my CS monthly payment. I have never had any CU or bank ask me for any divorce documents. Also if was ordered to pay alimony I would have listed.it. 

They i was emailed again to sign the disclosure even though it has wrong info.

I called the manger, and was told the disclosure would be fixed, .....it wasn't.

So Far, these are bunch of red flags, and I I'm not impressed with the whole HEzlzozc process.

What your do? Close with Citizens Bank, or try dealing with SFCU pickyness. At the end of the day, I would like to close ASAP to start repairs and I don't want any more HPs if I can help it.

Thx

Rebuilding since 2021

Closed CCs
USAA (Jul 2019| Settled CO), Jasper $1 CL (Jul21-Jul22), Sable $250CL{Secured} (Jan22-Jun23), CreditOne Platinum $750CL (Jul21-Aug23), Prosper $1.9K CL (Jan22-Apr24)

Starting FICO 8 Scores:
Current FICO 8 Scores:

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
markbeiser
Established Contributor

Re: HELOC shopping

What state?
If in Texas, check with Amplify FCU. That is where I got my HELOC at Prime+0% last year.

Back to gardening until Late February 2025.
Current FICO8:
Message 2 of 5
citymunky
Established Contributor

VA

Rebuilding since 2021

Closed CCs
USAA (Jul 2019| Settled CO), Jasper $1 CL (Jul21-Jul22), Sable $250CL{Secured} (Jan22-Jun23), CreditOne Platinum $750CL (Jul21-Aug23), Prosper $1.9K CL (Jan22-Apr24)

Starting FICO 8 Scores:
Current FICO 8 Scores:

Message 3 of 5
ScenicRouteTo850
New Contributor

I know you aren't looking for another HP, but have you considered Virginia Credit Union? I think their home products are quite competitive. Right now you can get a HELOC with 6.99% for a year followed by prime+something. The underwriting process was pretty smooth IME. Maybe worth a look for you if you are eligible for membership! 

Message 4 of 5
citymunky
Established Contributor

Due to timing with my upcoming relocation, I decided to Close with Citizens Banks mainly to due to timing (poor planing on my part) and I need to 'get the ball rolling' with these house repairs. Overall the their Closing Process was quick and easy as they sent a notary to a place and time of my chosing, in addtional with all the documents the day prior for my review.   

I'll report back, when I I'll start using the account for the overall experience for ease for drawing funds, payment processing times, Citizens UI, etc 

Rebuilding since 2021

Closed CCs

Starting FICO 8 Scores:
Current FICO 8 Scores:

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.