cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay off small card amounts or pay down large card amounts?

tag
Brokenroad

Pay off small card amounts or pay down large card amounts?

I have some extra cash to apply to my credit card debt. Is it best for me to pay off several cards with small balances or pay down a few cards that have large amounts that are close to full utilization?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
FicoMike0
Established Contributor

Re: Pay off small card amounts or pay down large card amounts?

Good one.

myself, I'd pay the highest interest first. Finance before fico.

As far as score impact, you'll need to give more details for the wizards to evaluate. You want individual utilization to be below 29%, aggravate below 9%, and at least half of accounts reporting zero. The relative weighting is beyond me.

Message 2 of 9
CreditPoor
Regular Contributor

Pay down the highest one charging you the most interest.

Message 3 of 9
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

Your best overall outcome is going to come by tackling the high UTI accounts first. This will give your scores a nice boost by reducing your reported UTI, eliminate red flags from your profile for any maxed out (89%+) cards as well as alleviate higher payout of interest charges (if you're paying interest on them).

The plus side is once the larger debts are gone, the smaller ones become much more manageable and you can focus on AZE0, or AZE2.

Tip of the day: You should consider giving more details, list your accounts (acct 1, 2, etc), balances, limits, apr (if any)... and what kind of funds you have to throw at this.... you'll get more insightful responses.

Message 4 of 9
Gunnerboy
Frequent Contributor

Divide and conquer.  Pay all of the smallest balances first.  You'll get the most satisfaction from this.

"Not everyone who helps you is a friend, and not everyone who challenges you is an enemy."
Message 5 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Brokenroad wrote:

I have some extra cash to apply to my credit card debt. Is it best for me to pay off several cards with small balances or pay down a few cards that have large amounts that are close to full utilization?

1. Welcome to the forum.

2. Since you have accounts that are close to full utilization, your first objective should be to get those down to 78%.

3. Once you have nothing at 78% or higher, then start paying accounts down to 48%.

4. Once you have nothing at 48% or higher, then there are several strategies to apply. One is to pay the smallest balances off first. Another is to pay the highest interest rate balances off first. A third would be to first get everything down to 28%, then start using one of the other two methods I just mentioned.

Total revolving limits 710800 (590300 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 712 TU 710 EX 710

Message 6 of 9
Rogue46
Established Contributor

@Gunnerboy wrote:

Divide and conquer.  Pay all of the smallest balances first.  You'll get the most satisfaction from this.

Agreed depending on the individuals mindset this method might work better since you have instant gratification seeing more accounts at zero. Financially speaking it's better to hack away at the highest apr/balances first. Using @SouthJamaica method would benefit your credit and financials, Either way depends on what you want to accomplish.

Message 7 of 9
Iusedtolurk
Established Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Brokenroad wrote:

1. Welcome to the forum.

2. Since you have accounts that are close to full utilization, your first objective should be to get those down to 78%.

3. Once you have nothing at 78% or higher, then start paying accounts down to 48%.

4. Once you have nothing at 48% or higher, then there are several strategies to apply. One is to pay the smallest balances off first. Another is to pay the highest interest rate balances off first. A third would be to first get everything down to 28%, then start using one of the other two methods I just mentioned.

@SouthJamaica  While reading your post I noticed Number 2 stated your first objective should be to get those down to 78%.

78% is new to me. I know if you over 90%  (88?)then getting under that would have an effect but I thought the next would be getting under 50% then under 30% for a few more positive points and then of course under 10%.

Message 8 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Iusedtolurk wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Brokenroad wrote:

1. Welcome to the forum.

@SouthJamaica  While reading your post I noticed Number 2 stated your first objective should be to get those down to 78%.

78% is new to me. I know if you over 90%  (88?)then getting under that would have an effect but I thought the next would be getting under 50% then under 30% for a few more positive points and then of course under 10%.

I can't prove it but I think of 80% as a threshold, and I pick 78% to avoid rounding up.

Total revolving limits 710800 (590300 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 712 TU 710 EX 710

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.