Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insurance scoring

tag
ReturnOfTheCredi
Contributor

Insurance scoring

Not sure if this is the right place and if not, please feel free to move the thread. 

I'm curious to know how one can check and or dispute anything in their insurance credit score? In shopping for policies, I've seen a couple of lenders mention my insurance score being low and can't figure out why. My credit score is ebbs and flows between 750 and 800, I have no late payments, no missed payments, low utilization, etc. One carrier, Lemonade, gives a star rating to different aspects of your application from one to five stars. My insurance credit scoring section was half a star. Surely something is amiss? Any ideas?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Insurance scoring

ETA: sorry, I was talking about overall insurability and how rates are set. Please see the post below mine for insurance scores specifically. 

Your internal score is a combination of credit, claims history, and future risk calculated into a score. Typically the score is created using a proprietary algorithm. Progressive, the largest insurer, scores between 200 and 997. Anything below 500 is considered poor and I believe anything 776 and greater is considered excellent, iirc.

When it comes to insurance, LexisNexis is king. If you believe something is incorrect, that's probably where it starts. It's not uncommon for people to find out they were attached to a claim with another insurance carrier and found at fault, even if they weren't contacted about it. Usually because the carrier had enough info to ID the person, but not enough to find their insurance or contact info. LexisNexis being LexisNexis, they'll attach anything to your report that might be remotely you. 

Another factor is location. In California, as long as you're not majority at fault, it typically doesn't weigh as heavily. In some states, being in an accident at all can be held against you.

Lastly, it's also hugely dependent on the company's underwriting. GEICO, for example, will never penalize you for using first party coverages like collision or comprehensive. Other companies consider any kind of insurance use as a negative factor. Some will even go as far as suing their own policyholders if the loss is large enough. *cough*farmers*cough*

So as you can see, it's not so simple to view an insurance score and figure out what the issue is. Most lenders will tell you what is the big reason(s) for their decision and you can start there. Next, you can make sure your credit score and reports are accurate. Then go through your LexisNexis to make sure that's accurate. Other than moving to a state that doesn't use credit scores, or to one with different rules, there's not much more you can do. You're in underwriting's hands and most lenders will not allow you to speak to them. 

Message 2 of 10
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@ReturnOfTheCredi wrote:

Not sure if this is the right place and if not, please feel free to move the thread. 

I'm curious to know how one can check and or dispute anything in their insurance credit score? In shopping for policies, I've seen a couple of lenders mention my insurance score being low and can't figure out why. My credit score is ebbs and flows between 750 and 800, I have no late payments, no missed payments, low utilization, etc. One carrier, Lemonade, gives a star rating to different aspects of your application from one to five stars. My insurance credit scoring section was half a star. Surely something is amiss? Any ideas?

Insurance based credit scores, CBIS, look at different metrics than do credit scoring algorithms such as Fico and Vantagescore. Many people have a high credit score but rather low CBIS. Credit scores reflect risk of a 90 day late payment while CBIS reflect risk of a claim being filed - based on credit related information in agency files. In NO case do CBIS look at your driving record. Insurers obviously look at driving records, vehicle to be insured and location. Those are separate factors, or "stars", that insurers use in decisioning independent from CBIS.

A majority of lenders use Fico for CS whereas a majority of insurance companies use Lexis Nexis, CBIS. Secondary CBIS providers include TransUnion and Fico. Each provider has its own scoring model. You cannot dispute a CBIS score but, you can dispute something in your file. Ask what CBIS the insurer is using, they should be required to tell you. My insurer, State Farm uses Lexis Nexis. A different insurer may use Transunion or may not look at CBIS. [FWIW - LN CBIS top out at 997 and TU CBIS tops out at 950].

I contacted Lexis Nexis (LN) to get a free copy of information they had on file which they mailed to me for review. LN has an exhaustive list of reason codes on their web site that are considered in their scoring model. If something looks incorrect, the company has a dispute process.

Side note: Many insurers never contact CBIS providers to refresh CBIS for existing clients. You can require them to do up to once per year, but must submit a written request each time. For those who think their CBIS may have improved, a re-rate could save up to 50% with an existing insurer.

Below are links to a few past threads concerning CBIS  :

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/quot-Credit-based-insurance-score-quot/m-p/47...

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Free-Transunion-Credit-Based-Insurance-Scores...

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Insurance-denial/m-p/5314295#M264255

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 3 of 10
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

@ReturnOfTheCredi wrote:

Insurance based credit scores, CBIS, look at different metrics than do credit scoring algorithms than do Fico and Vantagescore. Many people have a high credit score but rather low CBIS. Credit scores reflect risk of a 90 day late payment while CBIS reflect risk of a claim being filed - based on credit related information in agency files. In NO case do CBIS look at your driving record. Insurers obviously look at driving records, vehicle to be insured and location. Those are separate factors, in your case "stars" from CBIS.

A majority of lenders look at Fico and a majority of insurance companies look at Lexis Nexis, CBIS. Secondary CBIS providers include TransUnion and Fico. Each provider has their own scoring model. You cannot dispute a CBIS score but, you can dispute something in your file. Ask what CBIS the insurer is using, they should be required to tell you. My insurer, State Farm uses Lexis Nexis. A different insurer may use Transunion or may not look at CBIS. [FWIW - LN CBIS top out at 997 and TU CBIS tops out at 950].

I contacted Lexis Nexis (LN) to get a free copy of information they had on file which they mailed to me for review. LN has an exhaustive list of reason codes on their web site that are considered in their scoring model. If something looks incorrect, the company has a dispute process.

Side note: Many insurers never contact CBIS providers to refresh CBIS for existing clients. You can require them to do up to once per year, but must submit a written request each time. For those who think their CBIS may have improved, a re-rate could save up to 50% with an existing insurer.

Below are links to a couple past threads concerning CBIS  :

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/quot-Credit-based-insurance-score-quot/m-p/47...

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Free-Transunion-Credit-Based-Insurance-Scores...

Thanks for the correction. In my rush I was mixing up the cbis and internal scoring for a carrier while explaining. Very important distinction. 

Message 4 of 10
ReturnOfTheCredi
Contributor

All good info! Thanks to both of you. I'm going to contact Lexis Nexis to get a copy of my report and see if there's anything obvious. Really the only negative factor I know of that they figure into it would be inquiries as I've had a bunch in the last couple of years. In spite of that, my scores are great. We've also never had any claims, auto or home, nor moving violations in the last seven years. If mine is low, I'd hate to think of what drivers with bad credit and poor driving history look like. Yikes!😳

Message 5 of 10
ReturnOfTheCredi
Contributor

FWIW, TU rep tells me they don't produce any scores. Says they only provide the TrueRisk credit information and the individual carrier uses that to produce their own score. That doesn't seem right.

Message 6 of 10
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@ReturnOfTheCredi wrote:

FWIW, TU rep tells me they don't produce any scores. Says they only provide the TrueRisk credit information and the individual carrier uses that to produce their own score. That doesn't seem right.

This PowerPoint from the NAIC may help to understand it. It's old, but you'll at least get an idea. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://content.naic.org/sites/default/files/in...

Message 7 of 10
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

Your internal score is a combination of credit, claims history, and future risk calculated into a score. Typically the score is created using a proprietary algorithm. Progressive, the largest insurer, scores between 200 and 997. Anything below 500 is considered poor and I believe anything 776 and greater is considered excellent, iirc.

@Brian_Earl_Spilner 

Yeah thanks for reminding me.  That's another thing I'm looking forward to later this year when my reports go clean... lower insurance rates.

30+ years of driving... never late on a payment... never had a claim *knocks on wood* but yet because I filed Ch 13 my insurance rates nearly tripled.

They've since come down but still aren't where they were prior to filing.  You'll never ever convince me what my credit score has to do with the possibilities of me filing an insurance claim and if I default on payment they can just cancel the policy.

Insurance rates based on credit scores is one of the biggest scams.

*rant over*

Smiley LOL

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 8 of 10
ThomasJNewton
Frequent Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:

@Brian_Earl_Spilner 

Yeah thanks for reminding me.  That's another thing I'm looking forward to later this year when my reports go clean... lower insurance rates.

Good luck on that. Important to remember you need to actively ask for a re-rate, but you might discover that you are better served getting a new policy from a different company, that has no negative history for you.

30+ years of driving... never late on a payment... never had a claim *knocks on wood* but yet because I filed Ch 13 my insurance rates nearly tripled.

They've since come down but still aren't where they were prior to filing.  You'll never ever convince me what my credit score has to do with the possibilities of me filing an insurance claim and if I default on payment they can just cancel the policy.

Insurance rates based on credit scores is one of the biggest scams.

*rant over*

Smiley LOL

Your financial profile logically affects your rates in two ways:

1. Your ability to pay for maintenance (and the likelihood of your doing it).
  2. The likelihood of you committing insurance fraud.

If you are financially strapped, their models show that you are less likely to keep your vehicle or home in top shape, and so are more likely to have claims. Also, if you need money, that makes it more likely that you will file claims (either completely fraudulent ones or borderline ones), rather as a way of getting some.

Finally, like most of these scores, they are just based on correlations from looking at big data sets, not based on specificly looking at individuals. 

Message 9 of 10
TrapLine
New Contributor

Looking at this very interesting posting and my own insurance matters ... I went and met with my Independent Insurance Agent. the agency writes for twenty-three companies so there are lot's of choices and opportunities. Well there was anyway.

The agent informed me that right now only three companies they write insurance for would take new business! While we all likely know about Florida and California and their mega losses he informed me my state was now on the not good list. I was shocked! Then he ran down the losses over the last three years: flooding, heavy snow falls (causing accidents and property damage), along with lots of hail.

My mouth dropped open. Yes I lived through much of that and never read or heard a word in the local news about localized insurance losses? For myself, I got hit with replacing a retaining wall (105 foot) at my expense because it was not covered for flooding. Nice $20,000 in cash now. The carrier agreed they would cover any expenses of the neighboring property but not mine. The wall dated back to 1955. Fortunately, the neighboring property was with minimum damage.

Insurance carriers are being hit from all sides and do not have sufficient reserves to cover everything so, using an insurance term, they must mitigate their losses. As many know, some carriers are leaving some states as they cannot continue to sustain the losses they are paying on much more picking up new ones.

Not good for the no loss personal lines clients who are clean at this time.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.