Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTC - Call or Write?

tag
ktl55
Regular Contributor

FTC - Call or Write?

I disputed an inquiry with TU and I was given the speel about contacting the inquirier in which I did. it was NCO Group.  I do not have any TL's from NCO group. When I called NCO they had no record of me and no reason why I should have had a hard inquiry from the on my CR. I sent them a letter from this board via CMRR the 2nd week of April. I haven't heard anything from them. From reading many boards I believe my next step is to call/write the FTC. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to say to them? Any advice would be great.

Thanks
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FTC - Call or Write?

You can file complaints online at the FTC website: http://www.ftc.gov.  Click on "Consumer Protection" and then "File a Complaint."  They probably won't intervene in your specific situation, but if they get enough complaints about NCO (you'd be far from the first to lodge a complaint) they might investigate the company.
Message 2 of 19
ktl55
Regular Contributor

Why won't they "intervene in my specific situation"? What's the point in contacting the FTC if they don't do anything?
Message 3 of 19
Boswd
Valued Contributor

Do you have any accounts that are currently in collections or any really late accounts that could be ont their to collections, that you haven't made any payments on?   If so my guess is they are looking to sell your account and NCO could have been a potential buyer of it.
Message 4 of 19
ktl55
Regular Contributor

No I do not. I have no accounts with NCO. When I called them I was told by their office that they did not have any accounts for me and no reason why they should have pulled a hard inquiry. I called about 6 different NCO offices and no on could find me. By my SS#, maiden name or married name.  Their CSR told me I should write the letter to them and what to say.
Message 5 of 19
Boswd
Valued Contributor

No what I mean was,  do you have any other accounts that are in the hands of another collection agency not NCO  or do you have any type of accounts with any other company be it a cc or anything else that you are really late on and could be on it's way to collections.
and if so the other collection agencies could be selling your debt and NCO probably took a look at it to see if they were interested in purchasing it.  
Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

ktl55 wrote:
Why won't they "intervene in my specific situation"? What's the point in contacting the FTC if they don't do anything?

I said they "probably" wouldn't intervene for you -- but that doesn't mean for sure that they won't.

The FTC's job is to enforce consumer protection law against evil wrongdoers like NCO on behalf of all of us, but it's not their job to prosecute them for individual situations.  But if enough people complain, the FTC can make them pay fines or ultimately put them out of business.  You can also complain to the BBB and the AG's office.

You'd have to take it up directly with NCO (most drastic step is to sue them) for your personal situation.

Message 7 of 19
ktl55
Regular Contributor

again, no I do not. I do not have or ever had a collection with NCO.
Message 8 of 19
ktl55
Regular Contributor

Thanks. I filed a complaint on FTC's website. I'm hit BBB next. What method do I use to contact AG's office. I'm not up to going to court or anything like that over an inquiry. if contacting the FTC, BBB and AG doesn't work, I'll just wait to 24 months for it to drop off.
Message 9 of 19
ktl55
Regular Contributor

I have/had 1 CC in my life (current, never been late) and 1 SL (current for the last 6 years, never late)

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.