cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card limits and insurance scores..

tag
EAT_SLEEP_JEEP
Valued Contributor

Credit Card limits and insurance scores..

I remember seeing something here a long time ago that said there is a correlation between low limit credit cards and your insurance score and how it effects your insurance premium. Does anyone know the hard and fast on it? I'm sure its not in every state but it seemed to say that having low limit cards like less than $5k negatively impacted you?

KEEPER EVERYDAY CARDS/ AMEX CHARLES SCHWAB PLATINUM NPSL/ AMEX GOLD NPSL / AMEX GREEN NPSL/ AMEX EVERYDAY PREFERRED $30,000 CL/ AMEX BLUE BUSINESS PLUS $5000 SL/ AMEX BLUE CASH EVERYDAY $6000 / FIDELITY REWARDS VISA $23,500 SL/ NFCU FLAGSHIP $40,000 CL/ NFCU MORE REWARDS $33,000/ WELLS FARGO AUTOGRAPH $8200/ CITI COSTCO ANYWHERE VISA $6000 SL/ DISCOVER IT $3000 SL/ CAPITAL ONE SAVORONE $3000 SL

SOCK DRAWERED/ FNBO JEEP CARD $7700/ APPLE CARD $6500/ / PAYPAL CREDIT LINE $1700

9 REPLIES 9
FicoMike0
Established Contributor

Re: Credit Card limits and insurance scores..

Great question! I'll be waiting for the answer.

Message 2 of 10
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I'd start here and follow the links down the rabbit hole:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Insurance-scoring/m-p/6652474#M326535

CBIS is a pretty complex issue, but you are correct that some states do not allow CBISs to be used (MA for example) and certain credit lines can cause dings in the scores.  More importantly some types of accounts can cause score dings; according to their data and its archaic interpretation of retail cards, the person who has a Lowe's card with a $35,000 limit and wants to save 5% on every purchase is much more likely to file an auto claim than the responsible person who uses their $500 secured card with no rewards.  Credit mix is also an important factor; the person with 17 bank loans at 18.9% and 3 credit cards is a much lower risk than the person with 17 responsibly used credit cards, an auto loan and a mortgage.

Message 3 of 10
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Insurance-scoring/m-p/6652474#M326535

CBIS is a pretty complex issue, but you are correct that some states do not allow CBISs to be used (MA for example) and certain credit lines can cause dings in the scores.  More importantly some types of accounts can cause score dings; according to their data and its archaic interpretation of retail cards, the person who has a Lowe's card with a $35,000 limit and wants to save 5% on every purchase is much more likely to file an auto claim than the responsible person who uses their $500 secured card with no rewards.  Credit mix is also an important factor; the person with 17 bank loans at 18.9% and 3 credit cards is a much lower risk than the person with 17 responsibly used credit cards, an auto loan and a mortgage.

Very insightful answer @K-in-Boston.

Who comes up with this stuff (rhetorical question)? If someone comes back with... it's some IT guy influencing the algorithm, I'm might just lose my S%!*, jus sayin' Smiley Very Happy

Message 4 of 10
markbeiser
Established Contributor

@JoeRockhead wrote:

Very insightful answer @K-in-Boston.

Who comes up with this stuff (rhetorical question)? If someone comes back with... it's some IT guy influencing the algorithm, I'm might just lose my S%!*, jus sayin' Smiley Very Happy

Insurance comany actuaries crunching through mountains of actuarial data to find statistical patterns that indicate risk.
Some of the things they find as factors indicating increased risk may seem nonsensical to most, and having it explained by an actuarial scientist will probably make it seem even more nonsensical, or just put you to sleep!🤣

Back to gardening until Late February 2025.
Current FICO8:
Message 5 of 10
TrapLine
New Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

This seems like a fairy tale! Unreal and on the surface would appear to be unrealistic. As has been said over time, insurers want to search for every honest deductible? Could scare an insured if they knew.

In today's underwriting world, the losses of the last few years have changed our insurance provider's landscape. It is reported that some insurance companies have had such large losses that survival is predicated on how they move forward.

My example is two companies that discontinued writing insurance in high risk geographic areas. Much to my shock, there has been no information on the fact my geo area has been added to the high risk areas. What caught my attention was the renewal rates. A friend saw 22% for our area. Talked to the insurance agents and their carriers representatives and found our geo was going to be hit harder.

Yes, I found that out and the insurance providers were shy about seeking new business for our geo area (making insurance shopping a real challenge). In truth, we had two very heavy snow winters, floods and hail. An awakening for sure.

Tough it out for now with a wondering as to why our news sources never mentioned our insurance challenges ... not one word?

Message 6 of 10
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@EAT_SLEEP_JEEP wrote:

I remember seeing something here a long time ago that said there is a correlation between low limit credit cards and your insurance score and how it effects your insurance premium. Does anyone know the hard and fast on it? I'm sure its not in every state but it seemed to say that having low limit cards like less than $5k negatively impacted you?

CBIS looks at average CL across all cards as a scoring factor. CLs are not looked at on an individual card basis.

As I recall, 10 years ago one of the CBIS providers had $3k and $9k as thresholds for average CL. I believe it was TransUnion.

Given inflation, this threshold may have changed. A full list of reason codes is available for LexisNexis CBIS. LN lists values for many of its scoring factor increments. I believe their top threshold for average bankcard CL is $10.5k. Do an internet search for "LexisNexis reason codes"

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 7 of 10
FicoMike0
Established Contributor

Now another thing to worry about!

Message 8 of 10
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

Do an internet search for "LexisNexis reason codes"

This was fascinating information.  I found reason code 5260 to be highly amusing:

"Count of accounts opened in the last 60 months is 1 - 4
What information is this message derived from? The score considers the number of accounts you have opened in
the last 5 years. This includes accounts that are open/active as well as accounts that have been closed. It does not
include auto loans or leases or mortgage accounts.
How does this affect my insurance risk score? Insurance industry research shows consumers with fewer recently
established accounts experience fewer insurance losses.
What can I do to improve this aspect of my score? Having no accounts opened in the last 5 years is better."

What percentage of MyFICOers haven't opened any new accounts in the last 5 years?

May 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, NO New Revolver [will be reassigned when new account starts reporting]
FICO8:
FICO9:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 0 mos | New Accounts: 1/6, 1/12, 3/24 | Util: 1% | DTI: 1%
Message 9 of 10
Zoostation1
Valued Contributor

If average CLs are a factor for CBIS, then effectively income while it may not be a direct scoring factor, it indirectly impacts your ability to get the best rates (given that it impacts CLs and TCLs with a given lender).

Rebuild Started Nov 2021
June 2022 FICO 8:
June 2022 FICO 9:
May 2024 FICO 8:
May 2024 FICO 9:
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.