Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection

tag
Student_Loans_Kill
Frequent Contributor

Collection

I had a service for landscaping. I did not sign up for it the following year they did it anyway. I ended up paying for it despite me not wanting the services, not calling for services and not signing a contract.  The following year they did it again and send me a bill.   Followed by giving it to a collection agency 
My question is how is this a legal obligation and how can they report it on my credit without judgment etc?

Starting Score: 656
Current Score: 678 TU 08, 665 EQ MyFico, 698 EX PSECU
Goal Score: 7OO needed for Mortgage application

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Collection

@Student_Loans_Kill wrote:

I had a service for landscaping. I did not sign up for it the following year they did it anyway. I ended up paying for it despite me not wanting the services, not calling for services and not signing a contract.  The following year they did it again and send me a bill.   Followed by giving it to a collection agency 
My question is how is this a legal obligation and how can they report it on my credit without judgment etc?

From what you describe it may not be a legal obligation, but you need to fight this type of thing early on, rather than sit back and allow them to unfold.  At this point you should send them a certified mail letter making it clear that you don't want their services and never requested them after the first year. Then you should dispute it with the collection agency and any credit bureau to whom they reported it.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 2 of 10
Student_Loans_Kill
Frequent Contributor

To me I don't understand how you can report to credit agency without any proof of debt, other than a bill they make up, no judgement and no contract. Anyone can create a bill and say you owe this much etc . Overall debt reported on credit report is less than $900 the damage from a score drop is significantly worse 

Message 3 of 10
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

It appears you have a yearly auto renewal contract. Many such contracts are 3 years for snow removal or landscaping. Some paid subscription services, such as Malwarebytes or certain memberships, renew indefinitely.

You must take action to officially cancel such contracts otherwise they renew. As mentioned above, send a certified letter by registered mail stating cancellation of service.

If the contract was for a service and the service was not performed, then dispute the collection in addition to an official notice of cancellation.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 4 of 10
CorpCrMgr1
Valued Contributor

You should have received a bill early in the season. That was your opportunity to cancel/stop the service. Waiting until the end of the season after they did the entire applications makes you in agreement with their service. They did the work you originally contracted. I would contact the lawn service and see what it would take to make it go away.

Message 5 of 10
Student_Loans_Kill
Frequent Contributor

I actually notified them I didn't want service after paying for it in my second year. Additionally they sent out a new system for email to sign up for services which I didn't do. Finally I contacted office like you suggested and they said I had to go through collection agent to make payment 

my original question remains. Shouldn't I have a contract for services that explains all of this?

@CorpCrMgr1 wrote:

You should have received a bill early in the season. That was your opportunity to cancel/stop the service. Waiting until the end of the season after they did the entire applications makes you in agreement with their service. They did the work you originally contracted. I would contact the lawn service and see what it would take to make it go away.

Message 6 of 10
FicoMike0
Regular Contributor

if you think you have a good story, maybe small claims court. Probably quicker and easier to bribe the collection pirates.  Pay for delete.  Offer them 30%, see what the counter.

Message 7 of 10
Student_Loans_Kill
Frequent Contributor

Would I be suing in small claims court? I don't understand.  Does pay for delete actually work?  Or will they just leave collection on books?

To me seems off when invoices aren't even 6 months out.  Why

@FicoMike0 wrote:

if you think you have a good story, maybe small claims court. Probably quicker and easier to bribe the collection pirates.  Pay for delete.  Offer them 30%, see what the counter.

@FicoMike0 wrote:

wouldn't company take this offer?  Seems like bad business not to take it, especially given there is no signed contract , no proof work was done... etc

Message 8 of 10
CorpCrMgr1
Valued Contributor

@Student_Loans_Kill  It appears you did everything correct. I'm guessing someone thought you would just pay. Write to the collection agent and demand a copy of your contract for the period you did not sign up for the service.Then contact the BBB. Please report back or email me. I've helped a lot of people with this type of problem and have never charged anyone.

Message 9 of 10
keekers
Established Contributor

Good luck. This kind of thing infuriates me.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.