cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Agency STEPPED OUT OF BOUNDS!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection Agency STEPPED OUT OF BOUNDS!!

Smiley SadI'm a newbie/myFico forum addict and trying my best to get on the right track. I was unemployed for 3 months several years ago, and boy, what a mess it made out of my credit.

My question is this: I received a text message from my Ex-husband stating that a Mrs. Holmes was trying to reach me and gave me her number. Keep in mind that we have been divorced for 12 years and have NEVER had any joint accounts together, even when we were married. Anyway...I had a medical bill that was obviously sent to collections in 2/07 (which i assumed was paid by my insurance). I'm assuming that the collection agency did not have a good phone number for me, so they searched their system for somebody with the same last name/same city and found him. They informed him of MY debt, and asked for a good # for me. Well, I contacted Mrs. Holmes and informed her that she was violating my privacy by informing my ex husband of my personal business. I set up a payment arrangement with her, and told her to NEVER contact him again. Needless to say, I had a death in my family and was out of town for 10 days, which happened to fall when my next payment was due. I had EVERY intentions of paying it when I returned, but Mrs. Holmes decided she would contact my ex husband AGAIN!!!!!!  I called and asked to speak with her manager, the manager pulled the recorded calls, and all she could say was "sorry".

This company obviously does not honor the HIPPA PRIVACY POLICY, and I'm wondering if there is anything I can/should do. They have totally embarrassed me by involving my ex. 

"Tired of having class....yet being classified as the "underdog" because of my credit"
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
sl
Established Contributor

Re: Collection Agency STEPPED OUT OF BOUNDS!!

The CA definitely broke the law.  I would file a complaint with your State's AG office and persue it.  I would also call the CA back and speak with a supervisor and say because of your embarrasing me, I feel the least you could do for me is a PFD.  If nothing else, they owe you that much.

Get it in writing.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.