Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WMT suing Capital One

tag
Zoostation1
Valued Contributor

Re: WMT suing Capital One

Given that Synchrony still has the Sam's Club MC, I do wonder if WM would entertain going back to Synch.

Rebuild Started Nov 2021
June 2022 FICO 8:
June 2022 FICO 9:
May 2024 FICO 8:
May 2024 FICO 9:
Message 31 of 37
ZackAttack
Established Contributor

Not surprised that the judge ruled in Walmart favor. It does make you wonder where they would go with the portifolo. Seeing how it used to be with Sync -> Walmart ... so where now???

@NoMoreE46 wrote:

Appreciate this update @Scottisthename.

Looks like CapOne will be busy with Discover and trying to hold onto WMT.

I, for one, hope that the regulators in US don't allow it to happen. Discover has great customer service vs Capital One. Also on the merge topic, both companies do it differently (CLIs, BK issues for someone restarting, etc).

MSGCU Rewards | $10.5kDiscover Cash It | $10kAmex BCE | $15kBest Buy Visa | $20kChase Freedom Flex | $8kDCU Platinum | $8kNFCU Flagship | $43kNFCU cashRewards | $30kAffinity FCU Cash Rewards | $7kAmazon Prime | 12.5kChase Unlimited | 16.4kUSAA Cashback Rewards Plus Amex | 10kAmex Business Cash | 10k

Loans
Ford Credit Car Loan 2-year 6/22/2023 ($299/month)
Message 32 of 37
CorpCrMgr1
Valued Contributor

Mayne it's Comenity's turn? Wonder if this might be a good time to request a CLI on my WM store card???!!

Message 33 of 37
GhostCredit
Contributor

I think they should go with fnbo

Message 34 of 37
Barkius

FNBO is way too chicken. They won't even approve people outside their little geofence anymore

Message 35 of 37
Barkius

So, being the lawyer I am, I read the entire 41 page opinion and what jumped out at me is that, according to the contract: among other things, 99.9% of  transactions have to post the following business day, 99.9% of electronic payments must post the following business day, 97% of non-electronic payments have to post the following business day and 99.9% of replacement cards must be mailed within 5 days.

These are very difficult metrics for a bank as large and complex as Capital One with a user base as large as Walmart card to achieve. It was almost certain to go in Walmart's favor and it was frankly a crap contract for Capital One.

Undoubtedly Walmart had so much power that it could dictate these terms, knowing that it was very likely to eventually be in a position where it could unilaterally cancel the contract because these metrics are almost impossible to achieve.

Reminds me of the Goldman Sachs / Apple contract where Apple completely dictated the terms. Goldman Sachs didn't default on those terms but they were so bad for Goldman Sachs that they couldn't make any money off the thing.

I've known vendors who have worked or tried to work with Walmart and they say that Walmart will lowball them every chance and will renegotiate contracts all the time and the majority of them say they will never work with Walmart again. They think, hey Walmart's going to order 100,000 widgets from me, what could go wrong, but in the end they make very little profit from the deal.

Of note perhaps only to lawyers, the decision turned on the definition of the word "a."

Message 36 of 37
Zoostation1
Valued Contributor

@Barkiuswhere do we insert the Rubbermaid story?

Rebuild Started Nov 2021
June 2022 FICO 8:
June 2022 FICO 9:
May 2024 FICO 8:
May 2024 FICO 9:
Message 37 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.