Community Leader
Senior Contributor

WMT suing Capital One

Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: WMT suing Capital One

Good. Hopefully it goes to someone that actually gives increases. 

Message 2 of 37
Royalbacon
Frequent Contributor

Yeah just saw this front page on the news on my browser, crazy. They just dumped Synchrony for Capital One a few years back too. They were with Synchrony for like 20 years and Walmart alone was like 10% of Synchrony's overall portfolio. Sam's Club hit 25 y ears with Synchrony according to this press release. Sam's Club and Synchrony Extend Strategic Credit Card Program Collaboration with Multi-Year Agreemen...

Walmart Sues Capital One to End Its Credit-Card Partnership (msn.com)

Unfortunately, Capital One was consistently unable to meet the customer-service standards required by the contract,” Walmart’s lawyers said in a lawsuit filed Friday in Manhattan.

Capital One failed to meet customer care standards in at least five “critical” categories, including delivering replacement cards to customers within five days and promptly posting transaction and payment information to cardholders’ accounts, according to the lawsuit.

Hilarious because Synchrony is astronomically worse in every regard to customer service compared to Capital One. Wonder if Walmart could go back to Synchrony. Is another lender going to be inclined to give Walmart a good deal if they're the one that wants out from Capital One? Could the lawsuit make another lender hesitant to offer a contract with Walmart? I guess we'll find out. Time will tell.

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

I don't think 99% of the population outside of Myfico care about getting gigantic SPCLI every 90 days or 6 months. Synchrony is better then Capital One in regards too getting gigantic SP CLI on a regular basis until your card hits $25k or whatever, but in every other metric they're way worse then Capital One. I can say for sure the average person outside of Myfico doesn't have 15-30 cards and goes around obsessively asking for CLI on them all until they hit a $25k+ limit.

Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Filed-September 2020 Discharged-December 2020
Kohl's Credit Card $3000 Limit (Opened October 2016) Survived Bankruptcy for whatever reason
Closed Capital One Venture One $3000 Limit (Opened December 2020, Closed by me September 2022 since I wanted the SavorOne and couldn't product change to it)
Capital One Auto Loan (Opened March 2021)
Capital One Cabela's $5000 Limit (Opened December 2021)
America First Credit Union Visa $1000 Limit (Opened December 2021)
Capital One SavorOne $5000 Limit (Opened September 2022)
Sam's Club Mastercard Synchrony Bank $2500 Limit (Opened March 30 2023) (Burned Synchrony in my CH7 BK, One card with a $745 balance)
Idaho Central Credit Union ICCU Visa $10,000 Limit (Opened April 2023)
Message 3 of 37
Traveler101
Established Contributor

Maybe Barclay's will take it over. Then you will never see an increase in your cl 😉

Message 4 of 37
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Royalbacon wrote:

Yeah just saw this front page on the news on my browser, crazy. They just dumped Synchrony for Capital One a few years back too. They were with Synchrony for like 20 years and Walmart alone was like 10% of Synchrony's overall portfolio. Sam's Club hit 25 y ears with Synchrony according to this press release. Sam's Club and Synchrony Extend Strategic Credit Card Program Collaboration with Multi-Year Agreemen...

Walmart Sues Capital One to End Its Credit-Card Partnership (msn.com)

Unfortunately, Capital One was consistently unable to meet the customer-service standards required by the contract,” Walmart’s lawyers said in a lawsuit filed Friday in Manhattan.

Capital One failed to meet customer care standards in at least five “critical” categories, including delivering replacement cards to customers within five days and promptly posting transaction and payment information to cardholders’ accounts, according to the lawsuit.

Hilarious because Synchrony is astronomically worse in every regard to customer service compared to Capital One. Wonder if Walmart could go back to Synchrony. Is another lender going to be inclined to give Walmart a good deal if they're the one that wants out from Capital One? Could the lawsuit make another lender hesitant to offer a contract with Walmart? I guess we'll find out. Time will tell.

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

I don't think 99% of the population outside of Myfico care about getting gigantic SPCLI every 90 days or 6 months. Synchrony is better then Capital One in regards too getting gigantic SP CLI on a regular basis until your card hits $25k or whatever, but in every other metric they're way worse then Capital One. I can say for sure the average person outside of Myfico doesn't have 15-30 cards and goes around obsessively asking for CLI on them all until they hit a $25k+ limit.

I'm not talking about 25k. Cap1 is just stingy, so any increase. I've gotten 1 in 3 years for a whopping 250. I'm sure that kind of tightness has not fallen on deaf ears at Walmart. People can't buy things like TVs when they're only approved for 300 and there's no growth. 

Message 5 of 37
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

If there's a chip shortage, then I'm assuming this is coming into play on getting replacement cards out in a timely manner. Cap One being one of the nations largest card issuers likely has a better tract on getting cards out as fast as possible vs. a smaller lender.

As far as payments posting, my Savor payments post to my balance and available credit as soon as I hit the "conform" button. Doesn't the same happen with their co-branded cards?

WM has burned through Synch, now looking to move on from Cap One... Comenity going to give it a shot? Maybe Chase or Citi Retail? (I see another Amazon like fiasco over terms happening if Chase takes this over.)

Message 6 of 37
Royalbacon
Frequent Contributor

@ChargedUp wrote:

If there's a chip shortage, then I'm assuming this is coming into play on getting replacement cards out in a timely manner. Cap One being one of the nations largest card issuers likely has a better tract on getting cards out as fast as possible vs. a smaller lender.

As far as payments posting, my Savor payments post to my balance and available credit as soon as I hit the "conform" button. Doesn't the same happen with their co-branded cards?

WM has burned through Synch, now looking to move on from Cap One... Comenity going to give it a shot? Maybe Chase or Citi Retail? (I see another Amazon like fiasco over terms happening if Chase takes this over.)

Sams Club is still with Synchrony and is one of their largest portfolios, especially after Walmart left. They could very well go back to Synch if they wanted. Is Synch going to be incenticized to give them good deals on a contract though if Walmart comes back knocking on their doors though?

If Chase or Citi picks them app i'd app immediately since it'll be a loooooooooong time before I could ever get a Chase or Citi card with a BK on my report and I burned Citi in BK as well on top of that.

It very well could just be Walmart is being Walmart and abusing their power to get better terms in their favor with Capital One by suing them. They're infamous for doing these kinds of shenanigans with their suppliers and merchandisers.

Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Filed-September 2020 Discharged-December 2020
Kohl's Credit Card $3000 Limit (Opened October 2016) Survived Bankruptcy for whatever reason
Closed Capital One Venture One $3000 Limit (Opened December 2020, Closed by me September 2022 since I wanted the SavorOne and couldn't product change to it)
Capital One Auto Loan (Opened March 2021)
Capital One Cabela's $5000 Limit (Opened December 2021)
America First Credit Union Visa $1000 Limit (Opened December 2021)
Capital One SavorOne $5000 Limit (Opened September 2022)
Sam's Club Mastercard Synchrony Bank $2500 Limit (Opened March 30 2023) (Burned Synchrony in my CH7 BK, One card with a $745 balance)
Idaho Central Credit Union ICCU Visa $10,000 Limit (Opened April 2023)
Message 7 of 37
markbeiser
Established Contributor

Back to gardening until Late February 2025.
Current FICO8:
Message 8 of 37
markbeiser
Established Contributor

@Royalbacon wrote:

I'll be fine with 10-15 cards with $15k+ limits, I'm not greedy.😜

Back to gardening until Late February 2025.
Current FICO8:
Message 9 of 37
Jeffster1
Valued Contributor

If it goes to Barclays, anybody who IIB Barclays in the past will be given their walking papers and told to get lost as we saw in Barclays takeover of the GAP card portfolio. 

FICO 8 (3/1/24) EX 805 EQ 824 TU 844

Current lineup as of 9/23
American Express Gold | American Express Blue Cash Everyday 11K | American Express Blue Cash Preferred 10K I American Express Marriott Bonvoy Bevy 5K I American Express Hilton Honors Surpass 3K I Bank of America Customized Cash Rewards Visa 20K | Kinecta MyPerks Rewards MC 35K | TD Bank Double Up Visa 4K | USBank Platinum Visa 5K | BMO Harris Cash Back MasterCard 12K | Capital One SavorOne MC 3K | Capital One Walmart MC 2K | NFCU Amex 15K | NFCU CashRewards Visa 20K I Citi Best Buy Visa 10K I Macy’s Amex 4K I Bread Financial American Express 8K l AAA Daily Advantage Visa Signature 6K I Wells Fargo BILT World Elite MC 30K I BCU Cash Rewards Visa 8K I Chevron Techron Advantage Visa 2.5K I JCPenney Mastercard $6K I UCLA Wescom CU Rewards Visa 7K I
Message 10 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.