Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible Interest rate hike??

tag
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Possible Interest rate hike??

The articles below gives the reasons they think it might happen.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/rate-cut-expectations-give-way-to-questions-about-a-fed-hike-and-h... 

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/11/economy/fed-interest-rate-hike-probability/index.html 

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
keekers
Established Contributor

Re: Possible Interest rate hike??

I'd be surprised if they raised rates at this point given the collateral impacts it would have.

Message 2 of 11
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

@keekers  The article below is on Jerome Powell and his admiration of Paul Volker the last Fed Chief that had to fight inflation. Paul Volker raised rates much higher than Fed Chief Jerome Powell has.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jonathanponciano/2022/11/02/fed-chair-jerome-powell-haunted-by-the-ghos... 

I below is screen shot of a CD that I took out back when Paul Volker was fighting inflation.  The time frame is in the early nineteen eighties. This proves I am not exactly young at this point in time. Notice the rate of interest I received.

savings rate.PNG

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 3 of 11
keekers
Established Contributor

@AndySoCalThe inflation rate in 1980 was over twice that of the latest inflation peak in 2021 (~15% vs. ~7%) so that isn't surprising. I feel like the inflationary environment that existed in 1980-82ish was worse than where we are now. When he increased the rates north of 20% it caused huge impacts to industries like construction and farming, there was a recession, and the unemployment rate rose to over 10%. I'm not criticizing those actions at the time; I'm merely suggesting that the current economic climate doesn't require similar action, particularly given that inflation has cooled over the last year or so. I do recognize, however, that it has somewhat stagnated though.

Message 4 of 11
CorpCrMgr1
Valued Contributor

Thank you for sharing! 

Message 5 of 11
TrapLine
Contributor

It just keeps on raining?Smiley Sad

Note, I do remember back when residential housing loans ran 10% to 18% in the late 1970s. Along with that was very high inflation as has already been pointed out by another poster.

For myself I caught a VA Home Loan at 7.75% fixed for 30 years (1976) and it was one of those 'ooh and aw' moments.

It was not a good time then?Smiley Mad

Message 6 of 11
FicoMike0
Established Contributor

I don't expect on increase during an election year.

Message 7 of 11
Yawgoog
Established Member

More Fed officials ready to say goodbye to low-rate world

"Initial evidence of a change in thinking among some Fed officials came at their March meeting, when policymakers' median estimate for the longer-run federal funds rate was nudged up to 2.6% from 2.5%, where it had largely resided since early 2019."

"Dallas Fed President Lorie Logan, speaking in April, noted seven policymakers saw a longer-run policy rate of 3%, up from three with that view a year ago."

https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/more-fed-officials-ready-say-goodbye-low-rate-world-2024-05-01/

Message 8 of 11
keekers
Established Contributor

We will know this afternoon the outcome of the Fed meeting.

Message 9 of 11
TrapLine
Contributor

No rate hike for the sixth consecutive month according to the AP News.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.