cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is your unicorn no AF credit union card? (no AOD or other discontinued/grandfathered cards)

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: What is your unicorn no AF credit union card? (no AOD or other discontinued/grandfathered cards)

@ptatohed wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@ptatohed wrote:

To be completely honest, I would have nothing to do with CUs if it were not for better or different cards than banks.  My only CU experiences are AOD (which I know you said not to mention, sorry) and nusenda.  AOD needs no explanation and nusenda offers 5% rotating which often staggers from  freedom and Disco Cash Back.  Otherwise, give me a big name, chain bank any day of the week.  

Yes, but I guess the point of the thread is to expose interesting deals from perhaps little known CUs, of which there are (technical term) "a lot"

Most people here know of the offerings from the big banks, but at the time AOD/US Alliance were little-known gems!

I love to see someone who knows 'alot' is actually two words!  Smiley Wink

And you don't love to see the rest of us? Thanks alot @ptatohed 

Total revolving limits 710800 (590300 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 712 TU 710 EX 710

Message 11 of 23
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: What is your unicorn no AF credit union card? (no AOD or other discontinued/grandfathered cards)

@Drifter73 wrote:

buccees

Mentioning Buccees was anough for me to give you a kudo ;-)

(5/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 12 of 23
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

My new favorite CU CC is Redstone’s Visa Signature card 5% on food and gas. 😍

Been using them for past 3 months and they have been great. 👍

Message 13 of 23
Wu-Credit
Contributor

@CYBERSAM wrote:

This one has been on my radar, too! It is a wonderful card, indeed. Probably one of the best CU cards out there if not THE  best!

Cards & Loans

myFICO | 754↑
Message 14 of 23
Rockysocks
Frequent Contributor

@Wu-Credit wrote:

It can be for any reason! Rewards. Low rate. Length of history. Special attachment to your credit union. Etc.

Mine used to be the Affinity Cash Rewards before they nerfed the 5% stackable quarterly categories (decided to close it). Now, it's the Addition Financial Premier Rewards (geofenced CU in FL); 5% quarterly rotating (Back to school category is OP!), 3% travel, no FTF, cell protection.

What's yours? Please share!

I love a good credit union! That's why I work for one. Smiley Tongue My "unicorns" for credit union credit cards would be... Abound's no cap 5% gas card (because I don't think any other card offers no cap), and one strictly geofenced (to a single county) credit union nearby because of their fixed 6.9% card. Applying for that thing felt like I stepped back into a time of banking before I was even alive LOL.

Message 15 of 23
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

@Wu-Credit wrote:

@CYBERSAM wrote:

This one has been on my radar, too! It is a wonderful card, indeed. Probably one of the best CU cards out there if not THE  best!

@Wu-Credit  You can get their membership with no HP,  just open a saving account and after couple of months with good credit you can be pre qualified for this card using SP only!

For me membership was easy, just upload what they asked and that's it. BTW I'm way outside of their geofence.

Message 16 of 23
northway
Frequent Contributor

Mine is my Visions FCU 2% CB card.

No AF, no CA/BT or FTF. No games, no gimmicks, just a straight up 2% card with an extensive benefits list and a reasonable interest rate (15.25%).

Right behind that is my BFSFCU Beyond card. 5% on Airfare, 3% Dining and Hotels, 2% Car Rentals, 1% everything else, again no games or gimmicks, packed with insurance benefits with no AF/CA/BT/FTF and a 15.74% interest rate.

Personal Cards:
Message 17 of 23
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Since the OP had asked us not to include discontinued or grandfathered CU cards in our responses:  like some of the other posters who had also mentioned it on this thread, my favorite CU card that is not a discontinued/grandfathered card is the Redstone FCU card that offers 5% cashback on restaurants and gas  Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 23
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

I have three unicorn cards:

1. SCSCU Platinum Visa, 9.49% fixed APR, no fees at all for anything. This is the first card I was approved for after my chapter 7 bankruptcy was discharged. This credit union is geofenced, but if you join inside the branch, they will try to get you approved.

2. SDFCU Cash Back Plus Signature Visa, 2% cash back with $5.00 minimum redemption requirements, and no fees.

3. Redstone Signature Visa, 5% cash back on restaurants and gas, 3% cash back on utilities, and no fees. I also like how this CU has a page to actually your rewards. 

Guyatthebeach

Message 19 of 23
cws-21
Established Contributor

@northway wrote:

Mine is my Visions FCU 2% CB card.

No AF, no CA/BT or FTF. No games, no gimmicks, just a straight up 2% card with an extensive benefits list and a reasonable interest rate (15.25%).

Right behind that is my BFSFCU Beyond card. 5% on Airfare, 3% Dining and Hotels, 2% Car Rentals, 1% everything else, again no games or gimmicks, packed with insurance benefits with no AF/CA/BT/FTF and a 15.74% interest rate.

The Visions FCU Elite Visa Signature is my potential backup for the AOD FCU Visa Signature, but I probably won't apply for it unless or until the AOD VS is nerfed for existing customers.

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.