cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are your top five credit cards and why?

tag
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

Re: What are your top five credit cards?

@xenon3030 wrote:

@ptatohed wrote:

If I could get 10% cash back on everything, I think I could easily become a 1 card guy.  lol  Smiley LOL  

It is less likely that any credit card company would issue such a card in the world anytime soon Smiley Happy

In the US, the credit card companies afford to provide chasback/reward programs (~2-5%) and SUB (~10%, one-time to attract new customers), because of their high processing fee (2-3%). They already collected such money from customers. They simply create a large pool of money (adding also AF/interest from balances to the equation), and afterward, pay back to the customers as rewards.

For comparison, this processing fee is only ~0.3% in the other countries (Canada, UK, etc). Since the credit card companies in the other countries cannot create such a large pool, there are limited reward/SUB programs outisde the US.

As a comparison, Amex Platinum in Switzerland has AF of 900 CHF ($1000!!!). Since there is a limited transaction fee, the AF is elevated to be able to provide several benefits like lounge access.

Pretty sure we all knew the 10% CB card was simply a fun hypothetical.  Smiley Wink  

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 71 of 94
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

Re: What are your top five credit cards and why?

@Saleen099 wrote:

1) American Express, Centurion card
2) JP Morgan Reserve
3) Ritz Carlton 
4) Hyatt 
5) Freedom, Unlimited 

1. AMEX green

2. AT&T Citi Universal Mastercard

3. Discover More

4. Fidelity signature Visa

5. Best Buy store card

The cards have all aged over 10 years. I like AMEX and Discover service. I am dreading Discover's demise. No more respect once Cap One eliminates Discover's policies.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 72 of 94
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@ptatohed wrote:

Pretty sure we all knew the 10% CB card was simply a fun hypothetical.  Smiley Wink  

Smiley Indifferent   Perhaps.  Unless @longtimelurker is indeed hiding his protected "secret weapon" which he has alluded to possessing.  Smiley Wink   Do tell, inquiring minds want to know.  

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$900K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0 - SYCH - 65.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 73 of 94
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

@ptatohed wrote:

Smiley Indifferent   Perhaps.  Unless @longtimelurker is indeed hiding his protected "secret weapon" which he has alluded to possessing.  Smiley Wink   Do tell, inquiring minds want to know.  

At small local stores, just use any credit card, handing it to the owner, and make sure they see the note attached to the back:  "Accidents happen at stores like this every day!  We can help, return 10% of this purchase"    So you get 10% PLUS whatever the card gives.

Message 74 of 94
galahad15
Valued Contributor

I'll divide my top 5 into 2 categories:  rewards cards and fixed-rate, low-APR cards:

Rewards Cards

1.   AAA Daily Advantage card:  5% cashback rewards on groceries, 3% on gas and pharmacies

2.  Redstone FCU VISA Signature:  5% cashback rewards on restaurants and gas

3.  2x US Bank Cash+:  5% cashback rewards on cellphones, fast food, Internet/cable/streaming

4.  3x BoA Customized Cash Rewards:  3.3%/3% cashback rewards on online shopping

5.  AOD FCU VISA:  3% cashback rewards on all purchases

Fixed-rate, Low-APR Cards

1.   BEFCU VISA:  5.49% F go-to APR

2.  Dover FCU Rate Advantage MC:  6.99% F  go-to APR

3.  AOD FCU VISA7.49% F go-to APR

4.  PACU MC:  7.5% F go-to APR

5.  Unify FCU Fixed-Rate Platimum VISA:  8.99% go-to APR

Message 75 of 94
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

@galahad15 wrote:

I'll divide my top 5 into 2 categories:  rewards cards and fixed-rate, low-APR cards:

Rewards Cards

1.   AAA Daily Advantage card:  5% cashback rewards on groceries, 3% on gas and pharmacies

2.  Redstone FCU VISA Signature:  5% cashback rewards on restaurants and gas

3.  2x US Bank Cash+:  5% cashback rewards on cellphones, fast food, Internet/cable/streaming

4.  3x BoA Customized Cash Rewards:  3.3%/3% cashback rewards on online shopping

5.  AOD FCU VISA:  3% cashback rewards on all purchases

Fixed-rate, Low-APR Cards

1.   BEFCU VISA:  5.49% F go-to APR

2.  Dover FCU Rate Advantage MC:  6.99% F  go-to APR

3.  AOD FCU VISA7.49% F go-to APR

4.  PACU MC:  7.5% F go-to APR

5.  Unify FCU Fixed-Rate Platimum VISA:  8.99% go-to APR

^^ Impressive!  Great lineup gala.  

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 76 of 94
TyrannicalDuncery2
Contributor

I moved groceries to Instacart (~25% off due to using discounted GC and using instacart pick-up, instead of delivery). 

Awesome strategy @xenon3030 ! What are you seeing in the discounted Instacart gift card metagame? Interested in whatever your thought process is, like what you consider a good price, is there a certain price you wait for and pounce, where do you get them, etc. Or like what % gift card discount are you factoring into your 25%?

Best I see is 13%ish on Raise.

I know some people get pretty nice Instacart promo deals sent to them (example); do you get these or know a trick to getting them?

Message 77 of 94
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

To stack multiple discounts for groceries, I purchase $100 Instacart GCs from Costco at 20% discount. The GCs are sold either online or in-store (2x per member). I pay it with a CC that gives ~5% discount. The purchase is eligible for the 2% Costco executive membership. There is another 5% discount for Instacart pickup orders (choosing only the stores that provide in-store prices without markup). So, the entire discount on groceries would be 32%.

I could not succeed to include any CB website in this formula, since none of my Instacart purchases via TCB or Rakuten were triggered in the past 6 months.

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 78 of 94
Wu-Credit
Contributor

Re: What are your top five credit cards and why?

I think I've reached my endgame cashback setup. Just need to get keep increasing my Merrill accounts to reach Platinum Honors with BofA. Probably a few years lol.

1. Citi Custom Cash (5% groceries/gas/restaurants)

2. BofA CCR 2x (4.5% online, gas/restaurants/home improvement, 3% groceries and wholesale)

3. Addition Financial Premier Rewards (5% rotating, 3% travel, no FTF)

4. Discover it (5% rotating, 0% Apr offers)

5. BofA Unlimited Rewards (2.25% catch all)

Cards & Loans

myFICO | 754↑
Message 79 of 94
TyrannicalDuncery2
Contributor

Awesome, @xenon3030.  Thanks much! How do you find out which stores offer prices on instacart not marked up? Is it just this filter?

Also, what card do you use at costco to get the ~5% discount? Order online through CCR? Some other way?

Message 80 of 94
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.