cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are your top five credit cards and why?

tag
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

Re: What are your top five credit cards?

@Aim_High wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

1.) Amex Gold.  Have to put this one at #1 because dining and grocery at 4x adds up fast.

2.) Amex Business Platinum - 35% rebate on Delta and J/F flights on any airline more than covers the annual fee on its own without the other credits, and I've booked a number of business class flights in Europe that used fewer points than I would have otherwise paid for Y.

3.) Amex Blue Business Plus.  2x on all purchases beats most 3-5% cards for me.

4.) Amex Business Delta Reserve - helps with status and keeps me comfy.

5.) BoA Učitaje Cash Rewards - nearly $100k limit with never-ending balance transfer offers.

Honorable mentions would be US Bank Altitude Reserve for the 4.5% effective rewards on mobile purchases, Amex Bonvoy Brilliant and Business combo for the head start on status each year, and BECU Visa and NFCU Flagship for large limits and low/no APR BTs with no fees.

That's an interesting list, @K-in-Boston.  Just wondered about your thoughts about a few observations, purely for discussion.

• No concerns about 4/5 cards with the same lender and diversity with only two?
  • No concerns about only two personal cards that would report to the CRBs and potential affect on FICO? 
  • No concerns that one of your two cards reporting to personal credit report would be a charge card, so you'd only have one credit limit reporting (although a high one) ? 

I guess I am confused with the worry/concern that someone's theoretical card line-up would only be with 1 or 2 lenders/networks.  If I could only have 5 cards and all 5 cards just happened to be on the Visa network, I'm not understanding how this should keep me awake at night.  ?

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 41 of 94
Jeffster1
Valued Contributor

Re: What are your top five credit cards and why?

@ptatohed wrote:

@Jeffster1 wrote:

1. BofA CCR

2. Amex BCE

3. NFCU Amex

4. NFCU Cash Rewards Visa

5. BMO Cashback MC

...... "and why?"      Smiley Wink  

@ptatohed The "why":

My CCR is my main "go-to" card. Since I'm Platinum Honors with BofA, the enhanced rewards I get make it easy for me to keep it simple by mainly using that card. However, AMEX, NFCU are 3 banks with whom I enjoy doing business, so I put lots of spend on those cards, as well. Also, since I practice AZEO, I stop using a card a few days prior to the due date, and I use the others. 

FICO 8 (3/1/24) EX 805 EQ 824 TU 844
FICO 9 (2/17/24) EX 821 EQ 778TU 850
I practice AZEO - NEVER above 1% utilization across all cards.

Current lineup as of 9/23
American Express Gold | American Express Blue Cash Everyday 11K | American Express Blue Cash Preferred 10K I American Express Marriott Bonvoy Bevy 5K I American Express Hilton Honors Surpass 3K I Bank of America Customized Cash Rewards Visa 20K | Kinecta MyPerks Rewards MC 35K | TD Bank Double Up Visa 4K | USBank Platinum Visa 5K | BMO Harris Cash Back MasterCard 12K | Capital One SavorOne MC 3K | Capital One Walmart MC 2K | NFCU Amex 15K | NFCU CashRewards Visa 20K I Citi Best Buy Visa 10K I Macy’s Amex 4K I Bread Financial American Express 8K l AAA Daily Advantage Visa Signature 6K I Wells Fargo BILT World Elite MC 30K I BCU Cash Rewards Visa 8K I Chevron Techron Advantage Visa 2.5K I JCPenney Mastercard $6K I UCLA Wescom CU Rewards Visa 7K I
Message 42 of 94
MarkintheHV
Frequent Contributor

@ptatohed wrote:

If I could only have 5 cards and all 5 cards just happened to be on the Visa network, I'm not understanding how this should keep me awake at night.  ?

Visa recently had an outage....I for one would not like to be somewhere trying to make a purchase and be affected by an outage or having issues with one bank where my cards were not available to me.  Thats why I carry one network of each (Visa, MC and AmEx) in my wallet.  

What's in my wallet?
NFCU Flagship - 80k | AmEx Delta Reserve - $70k | Citi AA Executive - $37k | AmEx Delta Reserve Biz - 60k | Citi AA Biz - 20k
Message 43 of 94
UncleB
Credit Mentor

For the record, in my post the cards I listed were simply the answer to the thread's subject line ("What are your top five credit cards and why?"). 

While those five are getting the most use at the moment, they aren't necessarily my "ride or die" lineup if I had to choose only five, since I would have other considerations in addition to rewards. That list would probably look similar, but that's a discussion for a different thread. Smiley Happy

Side note:  I'm thankful that my being limited to five cards isn't likely to happen, since it would be very hard to pick which five to keep. Heck, ten would likely be a struggle, LOL. Smiley Embarassed

Message 44 of 94
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@MarkintheHV wrote:

@ptatohed wrote:

If I could only have 5 cards and all 5 cards just happened to be on the Visa network, I'm not understanding how this should keep me awake at night.  ?

Visa recently had an outage....I for one would not like to be somewhere trying to make a purchase and be affected by an outage or having issues with one bank where my cards were not available to me.  Thats why I carry one network of each (Visa, MC and AmEx) in my wallet.  

Right, but the risk is fairly small.   Trouble is that here we have an artificial constraint, five cards only.   In that situation, you might have to analyze risk/reward  "Do I have to drop this valuable Visa card and use this less good MC just do get network divesity?"   In the real-world, sure, carry (or virtually carry) a backup MC.

It's far more likely that a particular merchant PoS is out that a network crash IME.   But issuer diversity (more than one bank) is a must.

Message 45 of 94
redpat
Senior Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

For the record, in my post the cards I listed were simply the answer to the thread's subject line ("What are your top five credit cards and why?"). 

While those five are getting the most use at the moment, they aren't necessarily my "ride or die" lineup if I had to choose only five, since I would have other considerations in addition to rewards. That list would probably look similar, but that's a discussion for a different thread. Smiley Happy

Side note:  I'm thankful that my being limited to five cards isn't likely to happen, since it would be very hard to pick which five to keep. Heck, ten would likely be a struggle, LOL. Smiley Embarassed

Lol B, It can be done, I triple dog dare you.

Funny how many are now hemming and hawing which ones after their original posts.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 46 of 94
cjesser15
Contributor

I'll play.  Here's mine:

1) Fidelity Visa:  my catch all for non category.  My rewards go straight into investments.

2) Hilton Surpass:  still unsure what to do when the elevated annual fee catches up to me but I've gotten some great experiences due to this card.  

3) Cap One Venture X:  I don't put much spending on it but the lounge access alone keeps me paying the annual fee. 

4) US Bank Altitude Go:  one of the more underrated credit cards out there in my opinion.  4x on all restaurants with no AF. 

5) Citi Custom Cash:  for me this is my dedicated gas card.  

Message 47 of 94
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@NoHardLimits wrote:

@Aim_High wrote:

So I'd have five cards with the lender-diversity of five different lenders, cash back (or equivalent) of 3% - 4% - 5% on anything I purchase, no AF, network diversity with all four payment networks.  

@Aim_High  I think you would be down to only 3 payment networks due to eliminating Amex.

Oh, you are correct, @NoHardLimits!  Still, having the other three is good enough.  Just wouldn't want to delete Visa or Mastercard since they are more dominant.  

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$900K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0 - SYCH - 65.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 48 of 94
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

Oh, you are correct, @NoHardLimits!  Still, having the other three is good enough.  Just wouldn't want to delete Visa or Mastercard since they are more dominant.  

Then there are those of us with only two, Visa and Mastercard.  I doubt I'll ever reapply for a Discover card and the odds are stacked against me when it comes to AMEX letting me back in the door, so I'll simply sit on the two I have and be happy.  Smiley Happy

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 49 of 94
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Aim_High wrote:

That's an interesting list, @K-in-Boston.  Just wondered about your thoughts about a few observations, purely for discussion.

• No concerns about 4/5 cards with the same lender and diversity with only two?
  • No concerns about only two personal cards that would report to the CRBs and potential affect on FICO? 
  • No concerns that one of your two cards reporting to personal credit report would be a charge card, so you'd only have one credit limit reporting (although a high one) ? 

I answered the thread title at face value (even if @Saleen099 didn't answer his own "why?"), so this would likely differ and require more thought if I was answering "You can only keep 5 of your cards," in which case I'd be combining limits like crazy and playing Sophie's Choice with my Amex cards!  Personal Amex Platinum would almost certainly replace one of the business cards due to age alone.  But honestly, I've been with Amex long enough and they see 95+% of my spend when I am not chasing SUBs - I would actually be comfortable having 4 Amex cards and either Chase CSR or USB AR if I was actually forced to pick 5.

Oh, maybe I went down an unintended path with my reply.  I immediately thought of previous "down-sizing" threads instead of just picking five, but my rationale was that if those five were most valuable and getting the majority of spend, that other cards could be closed.  Thanks for that clarification, @K-in-Boston.  

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$900K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0 - SYCH - 65.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 50 of 94
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.