cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are your top five credit cards and why?

tag
redpat
Senior Contributor

Re: What are your top five credit cards?

A big difference for me, because of large business spend cash back on business cards are taxable as points are not.  As they say free, free....Free.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 31 of 94
cws-21
Established Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

Not to further rock your boat, @cws-21, but doesn't this list neglect the all-important "catch-all" everything uncapped rewards card (baseline maybe 2%)?   ... unless your catch-all is World of Hyatt at 1 point per dollar, which could be worth maybe 1.7 cpp?   Everything else you listed would be 1 cpp out of special category, correct?  Just wondered, although this is more of a hypothetical exercise.  

No worries, @Aim_High. Yes, my primary catch-all card is the World of Hyatt and the only catch-all card that I chose for this thought exercise. I spend ~$15k/year on non-category spending and, for that amount and with the WoH, I get a Free Night Award at a Category 1-4 Hyatt (worth up to $300) and 15k points that are enough for another Category 1-4 Hyatt (worth up to another $300). This earning potential in addition to the initial Free Night Award each anniversary (worth up to another another $300), Chase Offers, purchase protections, and travel protections made it my choice for my theoretical five-card  setup catch-all card over my AOD FCU Visa Signature.

Message 32 of 94
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

So I'd have five cards with the lender-diversity of five different lenders, cash back (or equivalent) of 3% - 4% - 5% on anything I purchase, no AF, network diversity with all four payment networks.  

@Aim_High  I think you would be down to only 3 payment networks due to eliminating Amex.

May 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, NO New Revolver [will be reassigned when new account starts reporting]
FICO8:
FICO9:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 0 mos | New Accounts: 1/6, 1/12, 3/24 | Util: 1% | DTI: 1%
Message 33 of 94
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Aim_High wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

1.) Amex Gold.  Have to put this one at #1 because dining and grocery at 4x adds up fast.

2.) Amex Business Platinum - 35% rebate on Delta and J/F flights on any airline more than covers the annual fee on its own without the other credits, and I've booked a number of business class flights in Europe that used fewer points than I would have otherwise paid for Y.

3.) Amex Blue Business Plus.  2x on all purchases beats most 3-5% cards for me.

4.) Amex Business Delta Reserve - helps with status and keeps me comfy.

5.) BoA Učitaje Cash Rewards - nearly $100k limit with never-ending balance transfer offers.

Honorable mentions would be US Bank Altitude Reserve for the 4.5% effective rewards on mobile purchases, Amex Bonvoy Brilliant and Business combo for the head start on status each year, and BECU Visa and NFCU Flagship for large limits and low/no APR BTs with no fees.

That's an interesting list, @K-in-Boston.  Just wondered about your thoughts about a few observations, purely for discussion.

• No concerns about 4/5 cards with the same lender and diversity with only two?
  • No concerns about only two personal cards that would report to the CRBs and potential affect on FICO? 
  • No concerns that one of your two cards reporting to personal credit report would be a charge card, so you'd only have one credit limit reporting (although a high one) ? 

I answered the thread title at face value (even if @Saleen099 didn't answer his own "why?"), so this would likely differ and require more thought if I was answering "You can only keep 5 of your cards," in which case I'd be combining limits like crazy and playing Sophie's Choice with my Amex cards!  Personal Amex Platinum would almost certainly replace one of the business cards due to age alone.  But honestly, I've been with Amex long enough and they see 95+% of my spend when I am not chasing SUBs - I would actually be comfortable having 4 Amex cards and either Chase CSR or USB AR if I was actually forced to pick 5.

Message 34 of 94
smitty1
New Contributor

Re: What are your top five credit cards and why?

I carry these 7 cards- mostly because these are the ones I prefer to use.  Good limits, only one with a annual fee- I have had it since 1980- so I keep it and use it.

1. NFCU- Go Rewards Visa

2. NFCU- Flagship Rewards

3. American Express Green

4. ACU Rewards Visa

5. Penfed Gold

-----

6. NFCU Cash Rewards

7. Amex Everyday Clear

Message 35 of 94
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

@smitty1 wrote:

I carry these 7 cards- mostly because these are the ones I prefer to use.  Good limits, only one with a annual fee- I have had it since 1980- so I keep it and use it.

1. NFCU- Go Rewards Visa

2. NFCU- Flagship Rewards

3. American Express Green

4. ACU Rewards Visa

5. Penfed Gold

-----

6. NFCU Cash Rewards

7. Amex Everyday Clear

...... "and why?"      Smiley Wink  

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 36 of 94
Jeffster1
Valued Contributor

1. BofA CCR

2. Amex BCE

3. NFCU Amex

4. NFCU Cash Rewards Visa

5. BMO Cashback MC

FICO 8 (3/1/24) EX 805 EQ 824 TU 844
FICO 9 (2/17/24) EX 821 EQ 778TU 850
I practice AZEO - NEVER above 1% utilization across all cards.

Current lineup as of 9/23
American Express Gold | American Express Blue Cash Everyday 11K | American Express Blue Cash Preferred 10K I American Express Marriott Bonvoy Bevy 5K I American Express Hilton Honors Surpass 3K I Bank of America Customized Cash Rewards Visa 20K | Kinecta MyPerks Rewards MC 35K | TD Bank Double Up Visa 4K | USBank Platinum Visa 5K | BMO Harris Cash Back MasterCard 12K | Capital One SavorOne MC 3K | Capital One Walmart MC 2K | NFCU Amex 15K | NFCU CashRewards Visa 20K I Citi Best Buy Visa 10K I Macy’s Amex 4K I Bread Financial American Express 8K l AAA Daily Advantage Visa Signature 6K I Wells Fargo BILT World Elite MC 30K I BCU Cash Rewards Visa 8K I Chevron Techron Advantage Visa 2.5K I JCPenney Mastercard $6K I UCLA Wescom CU Rewards Visa 7K I
Message 37 of 94
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

@Jeffster1 wrote:

1. BofA CCR

2. Amex BCE

3. NFCU Amex

5. BMO Cashback MC

...... "and why?"      Smiley Wink  

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 38 of 94
AyaMai
Frequent Contributor

@Jeffster1 wrote:

1. BofA CCR

2. Amex BCE

3. NFCU Amex

5. BMO Cashback MC

Do you bank with BMO and why you decided to apply for BMO Cashback MC, any data regarding the rate of approval, are they sensitive to inquiries, I do bank with them. 

Message 39 of 94
imaximous
Valued Contributor

Top 5 based on spend? Value?

Based on spend in no particular order:

- Chase Amazon Prime for the 5% standard cashback, but it can be higher many times.

- US Bank Altitude Reserve gets me 4.5x because I only use it with Apple Pay and redeem for travel.

- Capital One Walmart also gets me 5%.

- AmEx Business Gold gets maxed out on a 4x category. Planning to get a second card.

- PayPal Business MC 3% cashback on all PayPal purchases.

Based on value, I'd add or switch some cards above with:

- Chase Hyatt helps me reach Globalist every year. All stays are personal, so I can't hit 60 nights without putting spend on this card.

- Citi AA Executive for lounge access and helps with status via spend.

- AmEx Platinum for the perks. Spend is low compared to other cards.

Message 40 of 94
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.