cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are your top five credit cards and why?

tag
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Re: What are your top five credit cards and why?

@Saleen099, you said "... And Why?"  I'm assuming those are cards you have but you didn't say why they were your top five?  Extra kudos to those who explained the "Why?"

I recently private-messaged another member discussing this type of topic.  My list isn't about just optimizing rewards but taking into consideration factors such as lender diversity, account age, credit limits, perks, and payment network diversity.  With BofA Premium Rewards Elite and Preferred Rewards Platinum Honors, my baseline earnings would be 2.625% on anything with no caps.   While four out of five of these cards have significant annual fees, there are enough credits and/or perks to easily offset those fees in my estimation. 

• Chase Sapphire Reserve: $141.4K (all Chase personal limits)
  • Bank of America Premium Rewards Elite: $99.9K (all BofA personal limits + recoup $200 lost in account changes)
  • AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant: $75K (all AMEX personal limits)
  • Discover IT: $52K (oldest card at 30+ years and network diversity)
  • CITI AAdvantage Executive: $49.5K++ (Potentially a fast growing card at $14K annually.)

That would give me (5) cards with $417.8K in total credit limits; all 4 processing networks; oldest card 30 years; 4 premium metal cards with exceptional perks; Average CL $83,560; lender diversity with 5 major national lenders.    I doubt I would do it to this extent but it's very clean.  I like it.  I just wouldn't want to trash the lender diversity I've worked so hard to achieve and the potential back-ups as my needs change.  Plus the loss of some rewards such as the CSR+CFU and PRE+CCR.

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$900K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0 - SYCH - 65.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 21 of 94
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

That would give me (5) cards with $417.8K in total credit limits; all 4 processing networks; oldest card 30 years; 4 premium metal cards with exceptional perks; Average CL $83,560; lender diversity with 5 major national lenders.    I doubt I would do it to this extent but it's very clean.  I like it.  I just wouldn't want to trash the lender diversity I've worked so hard to achieve and the potential back-ups as my needs change.  Plus the loss of some rewards such as the CSR+CFU and PRE+CCR.

This is exactly why I divided my earlier response into my top 5 for rewards/perks and top 5 for FICO scoring.  If I had to limit myself to ONLY 5 cards, it would look like this:

1.  Chase Freedom Flex (ancient account, consolidate all my Chase credit limits and use for 5% and 3% categories)

2.  Discover It (ancient account, use for 5% categories)

3.  Amex Platinum (semi-ancient account, use for coupon book credits and travel perks, no FTF)

4.  US Bank Altitude Reserve (use for 3x categories and car rental insurance, no FTF)

5.  Citi Double Cash (2% flat rate)

This would provide me with 5 major banks, 4 processing networks, 20 years of average age, $200k in credit limits, and heaps of rewards/perks.

May 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, NO New Revolver [will be reassigned when new account starts reporting]
FICO8:
FICO9:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 0 mos | New Accounts: 1/6, 1/12, 3/24 | Util: 1% | DTI: 1%
Message 22 of 94
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: What are your top five credit cards?

@Aim_High wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Saleen099 wrote:

1) American Express, Centurion card
2) JP Morgan Reserve
3) Ritz Carlton 
4) Hyatt 
5) Freedom, Unlimited 

How does the Freedom Unlimited slip in there!   With the other 4 cards, you still wouldn't be able to transfer URs so it would be basically a 1.5% (OK, with some 3% categories)

That's not true, @longtimelurker.  The JP Morgan Reserve is just a premium version of the Chase Sapphire Reserve for HNW clients, and it has similar benefits including the ability to consolidate Ultimate Rewards points from other cards.  So the Freedom Unlimited rewards, while earning 1.5% in cash could be redeemed for 2.25% (at 1.5x multiplier) for in-portal travel or up to around 3% in travel when transferred to partners.  The CSR (or JPMR) and CFU is a powerful 2-card combo with no spending caps to worry about either. 

Right, I forgot that it also did transfers.   I agree given that CFU can make sense.

Message 23 of 94
cws-21
Established Contributor

This was more painful than I anticipated. Below are my five choices and the specific reasons for them in addition to the variety of benefits that follow. I would have five different cards from five different issuers. I would have two Mastercards, two Visas, and an American Express. I would have mostly 5% cash back on all major spending categories. I would benefit from Citi Merchant Offers, Amex Offers, and Chase Offers. I would have some flexibility with the Custom Cash and the Max Cash Preferred. I would have a total credit limit of over $100k and an average credit limit of over $20k. I would have purchase protections from two cards and travel protections from one. I would have one no FTF Visa and one no FTF Mastercard.

1. Amex Blue Cash Preferred: mostly for 6% (4.4% after annual fee subtracted) cash back on groceries up to $6,000 yearly cap, Disney Bundle Credit, and 6% on streaming, but also for Amex Offers and purchase protections
  2. Target RedCard Mastercard: mostly for 5% discount at Target, but also for no foreign transaction fee Mastercard
  3. Citi Custom Cash: mostly for 5% cash back on dining up to $500 monthly cap, but also for occasional month of 5% on travel, 5% on home improvement stores, or 5% on live entertainment as well as Citi Merchant Offers
  4. Elan Max Cash Preferred: mostly for 5% cash back on home utilities and Internet, but also for occasional quarter of 5% on entertainment or 5% on recreation
  5. Chase World of Hyatt: mostly for annual free night award at any Category 1-4 Hyatt after cardmember anniversary, annual extra free night award at any Category 1-4 Hyatt after $15k in purchases, 4x points at Hyatt, and 2x points on transit, but also for Chase Offers, purchase protections, travel protections, and no foreign transaction fee Visa
Message 24 of 94
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

1.) Amex Gold.  Have to put this one at #1 because dining and grocery at 4x adds up fast.

2.) Amex Business Platinum - 35% rebate on Delta and J/F flights on any airline more than covers the annual fee on its own without the other credits, and I've booked a number of business class flights in Europe that used fewer points than I would have otherwise paid for Y.

3.) Amex Blue Business Plus.  2x on all purchases beats most 3-5% cards for me.

4.) Amex Business Delta Reserve - helps with status and keeps me comfy.

5.) BoA Učitaje Cash Rewards - nearly $100k limit with never-ending balance transfer offers.

Honorable mentions would be US Bank Altitude Reserve for the 4.5% effective rewards on mobile purchases, Amex Bonvoy Brilliant and Business combo for the head start on status each year, and BECU Visa and NFCU Flagship for large limits and low/no APR BTs with no fees.

Message 25 of 94
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

1)AOD - 3% (simple non cat spend best in class)

2)Ritz - Low AF overall and 85k point certificate and airline credit, etc

3)Custom Cash cards (5% back on groceries)

4)IHG OG $49 card(why not a free hotel for $49 night once a year)

5)Cash+ 5% cats for util/cell phone

Message 26 of 94
Xanthos472
Regular Contributor

1. BoA Premium for 2.62 everywhere uncapped.

2. Citi DoubleCash for the overflow from BoA Premium.

3. USB Cash+ set to Utilities and Sporting Goods for 5%. Local mom and pop hardware store codes as sporting goods.

4. Discover for 5% rotating.

5. Huntington Voice for 3% category 

Didn't include business or I would have added Chase Ink Cash for office supply.

Cap 1 QS #1 2.5K | Cap 1 QS#2 16K | Citi DC 5410. | Synch 2% 10K | Disco IT 11.3K | Disco Miles 10K | Amex BCE 6K EDP 6.2K Schwab 3K | Citizen's 1.8% 12.2K | Wells Cashwise #1 20K #2 1K | USBank Cash+ 21K | Fidelity 20K | Truist Spectrum #1 7.5K Spectrum #2 4.5K Bright 5K | PNC Cash #1 3K Cash #2 600 Points #1 600 Points#2 600 | BECU Cash 23.4K Low Rate 10.5K | BoA Premium Rewards 25.8K Travel Rewards 30K | FNBO Evergreen 20K | SAFE CU Cashback + 10K | Huntington Voice 7150 | Keybank Latitude 8K |
BECU CLOC 15K
~BIZ Credit~ Amex BBP 9.6K BBC 10.2K Biz Plat NPSL x3 Biz Gold NPSL x2 | USBank Biz Cash 10K | Citizen's ED Points Biz 7K | FNBO Biz Evergreen 13.7K | BoA Biz Unlimited #1 7.5K |BoA Biz Unlimited #2 50K | BoA Biz CCR #1 7K | BoA Biz CCR #2 22K | CIC 9K | INK Premier 80K/16K Flex | CIU 11K |
~formerly known as Xatos~
Message 27 of 94
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@cws-21 wrote:

This was more painful than I anticipated. Below are my five choices and the specific reasons for them in addition to the variety of benefits that follow. I would have five different cards from five different issuers. I would have two Mastercards, two Visas, and an American Express. I would have mostly 5% cash back on all major spending categories. I would benefit from Citi Merchant Offers, Amex Offers, and Chase Offers. I would have some flexibility with the Custom Cash and the Max Cash Preferred. I would have a total credit limit of over $100k and an average credit limit of over $20k. I would have purchase protections from two cards and travel protections from one. I would have one no FTF Visa and one no FTF Mastercard.

1. Amex Blue Cash Preferred: mostly for 6% (4.4% after annual fee subtracted) cash back on groceries up to $6,000 yearly cap, Disney Bundle Credit, and 6% on streaming, but also for Amex Offers and purchase protections
  2. Target RedCard Mastercard: mostly for 5% discount at Target, but also for no foreign transaction fee Mastercard
  3. Citi Custom Cash: mostly for 5% cash back on dining up to $500 monthly cap, but also for occasional month of 5% on travel, 5% on home improvement stores, or 5% on live entertainment as well as Citi Merchant Offers
  4. Elan Max Cash Preferred: mostly for 5% cash back on home utilities and Internet, but also for occasional quarter of 5% on entertainment or 5% on recreation
  5. Chase World of Hyatt: mostly for annual free night award at any Category 1-4 Hyatt after cardmember anniversary, annual extra free night award at any Category 1-4 Hyatt after $15k in purchases, 4x points at Hyatt, and 2x points on transit, but also for Chase Offers, purchase protections, travel protections, and no foreign transaction fee Visa

Not to further rock your boat, @cws-21, but doesn't this list neglect the all-important "catch-all" everything uncapped rewards card (baseline maybe 2%)?   ... unless your catch-all is World of Hyatt at 1 point per dollar, which could be worth maybe 1.7 cpp?   Everything else you listed would be 1 cpp out of special category, correct?  Just wondered, although this is more of a hypothetical exercise.  

Business Cards

Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0 - SYCH - 65.0
Message 28 of 94
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

1.) Amex Gold.  Have to put this one at #1 because dining and grocery at 4x adds up fast.

2.) Amex Business Platinum - 35% rebate on Delta and J/F flights on any airline more than covers the annual fee on its own without the other credits, and I've booked a number of business class flights in Europe that used fewer points than I would have otherwise paid for Y.

3.) Amex Blue Business Plus.  2x on all purchases beats most 3-5% cards for me.

4.) Amex Business Delta Reserve - helps with status and keeps me comfy.

5.) BoA Učitaje Cash Rewards - nearly $100k limit with never-ending balance transfer offers.

Honorable mentions would be US Bank Altitude Reserve for the 4.5% effective rewards on mobile purchases, Amex Bonvoy Brilliant and Business combo for the head start on status each year, and BECU Visa and NFCU Flagship for large limits and low/no APR BTs with no fees.

That's an interesting list, @K-in-Boston.  Just wondered about your thoughts about a few observations, purely for discussion.

• No concerns about 4/5 cards with the same lender and diversity with only two?
  • No concerns about only two personal cards that would report to the CRBs and potential affect on FICO? 
  • No concerns that one of your two cards reporting to personal credit report would be a charge card, so you'd only have one credit limit reporting (although a high one) ? 

Business Cards

Message 29 of 94
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Five cards - Revisted.

My list above was very heavy in high-AF travel cards*, assumes I'd continue to highly value travel and perks, and depends upon my Merrill Lynch investments to retain the high-earning 2.625% baseline on the Premium Rewards Elite.  So .... what if I was unable or uninterested to travel, the high AFs no longer made sense, and I withdrew my BofA investments?  That could substantially shake things up.   I would want to shift to a no-AF cash-back only scenario, similar to how some of our other members approach card rewards.

*My current fees on those five cards are: $650 (AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant); $595 (CITI AAdvantage Executive); $550 (Chase Sapphire Reserve); $550 (BofA Premium Rewards Elite); and $0 on Discover.  Total AFs on those five = $2,345. Smiley Surprised

My revised list in that scenario would be:

• AOD FCU Visa Signature for 3% back on everything for a baseline.
  • Oddly enough, Synchrony Verizon Visa, which would give me uncapped 4% on gas and groceries.  (In Verizon Dollars, which would just lower my monthly bill.)
  • Discover:  For 5% in rotating categories.  $1500/qtr; $6K annually.  And my oldest card. 

Then, I'm actually at a point where none of my other cards outearn the above in cash, except perhaps my Chase INK Cash for 5% on office supplies and 5% on tv/internet/cellphone.   But the practical choice would be a couple of product-changes.  Now, as much as I've advocated against rotating category cards for the added complexity, if I only had five cards and was focused on optimizing rewards, having three rotating cards and two fixed cards would be manageable. 

• Chase Freedom Unlimited (one of my four oldest cards) product changed to Chase Freedom Flex.  That would give me a Mastercard and additional 5% categories for better rewards.  5% on up to $1500/qtr; $6K annually.
  • CITI AAdvantage Executive - which I believe CITI allows PC to their core cards - product changed to CITI Custom Cash.  If PC not available, this would be a new application.  The CCC has the "pinch-hitter" ability to adapt to whichever category is best needed for that month, so the flexibility would be quite useful in a cash rewards lineup.  5% on up to $500 monthly; $6K annually. 

So I'd have five cards with the lender-diversity of five different lenders, cash back (or equivalent) of 3% - 4% - 5% on anything I purchase, no AF, network diversity with all four payment networks.  The existing credit limits would be $297.9K if consolidated, for an average of $59,580 per card.  (Although it's doubtful some lenders would allow high unused credit lines to stay intact over time on no-AF cash back cards.  But the loss of some credit limits would still be acceptable.)   Retaining the AOD FCU Visa also allows a lower-APR card since the 7.49% APR is fixed.  I wouldn't keep the Chase INK Cash for the top five since my planned 5% spend would always be less than the $1500/qtr potential on the Freedom Flex.   My only other consideration would be if a US Bank Cash Plus for the 5% on utilities would out-earn the 5% on CITI Custom Cash or Chase Freedom Flex over time. 

Business Cards

Message 30 of 94
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.