Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question About Discover CLI Request

tag
elboullee
Regular Contributor

Question About Discover CLI Request

Pretty simple question.

Does a CLI denial letter from Discover stating "insufficent experience with current credit line" just mean "it's been less than six months since your last increase"?

Thx.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Wu-Credit
Contributor

Re: Question About Discover CLI Request

@elboullee wrote:

Pretty simple question.

Does a CLI denial letter from Discover stating "insufficent experience with current credit line" just mean "it's been less than six months since your last increase"?

Thx.

I've been getting this denial for the last 6 months every other week. Or it may be "insufficient usage of current credit line."

I guess I can just try again and report back lol.

Edit: Denied again.

Cards & Loans

myFICO | 754↑
Message 2 of 7
keekers
Established Contributor

@elboullee wrote:

Pretty simple question.

Thx.

I wouldn't say 6 months specifically but yes, they want to see you use the CL you have now responsibly for longer.

Message 3 of 7
Heatt99
Frequent Contributor

It just means you're not using enough of the current CL.

Disco is weird, you can use 30% of the line, pay in full, and denied CLI

But if you use 30%, and let 30% post for two to three billing statement, one might get a CLI.

So most grow Disco in the 0% intro period or 0% BT phase.

Message 4 of 7
GZG
Valued Contributor

@elboullee wrote:

Pretty simple question.

Thx.

usually means not enough spend or you're at the maximum limit 

I got 2 CLIs in 3 months, so there's no 6 month requirement between CLIs

perhaps with the whole cap1 thing, things might have changed since then 

just try everytime you see the FICO scorecard update with a new date, that means a new report was pulled

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 5 of 7
Zoostation1
Valued Contributor

@elboulleeIt's not directly related to 6 months IMO.   Discover gave me that message with denial for over a year before approving the next two CLI requests I made with them.

Rebuild Started Nov 2021
June 2022 FICO 8:
June 2022 FICO 9:
May 2024 FICO 8:
May 2024 FICO 9:
Message 6 of 7
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

Discover is most likely to give you a CLI if you are near the max on their card and it appears that you could use additional limit.

I've had a Disco BT strategy going on for a while where I execute a BT with the idea of using it to help increase my limit on the card.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.