cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Close cc can't afford monthly payment!

tag
JoeWash82

Close cc can't afford monthly payment!

I have a citicard been going through a rough patch, can't afford monthly payment. Citi offered to cut payment in half but close the card. How does the affect my credit? Do you all have any other suggestions.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Re: Close cc can't afford monthly payment!

@JoeWash82  If it will help you keep the acount current take it. It will be closed account with a balance

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 2 of 11
RSX
Valued Contributor

they will be dropping your payment amount in half - but you will still need to fully pay it off

they will not allow more purchases on the card, as it will be closed fully once you pay it all the way down

your choice on this - you will take a big hit if you let it go to collections

so hopefully you can make the smaller payments and just take the time to pay it down

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 3 of 11
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

The account will be closed and show as closed on your reports, but the limit will still factor into your utilization. As long as you don't miss a payment, it continues to report like normal. You also will not be able to apply for another Citi card while on the program. 

Message 4 of 11
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

If you need the payment to be cut in half, then you may consider their offer.  If you have not yet, do request a rate reduction.  Don't be afraid to negotiate.  Here are some links to citi's Hardship program.

https://www1.citibank.com.au/help-and-support/financial-hardship

https://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html/citi_credit_card_hardship_prog.html

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 5 of 11
stonedog23
Frequent Contributor

@RSX wrote:

they will be dropping your payment amount in half - but you will still need to fully pay it off

they will not allow more purchases on the card, as it will be closed fully once you pay it all the way down

your choice on this - you will take a big hit if you let it go to collections

so hopefully you can make the smaller payments and just take the time to pay it down

No offense, but you stated everything the OP already knew/knows. No new information. 

NFCU GoRewards Sig ($40,000), NFCU Cash Rewards ($33,000), PenFed Power Cash ($25,000), FNBO Evergreen Visa ($20,000), Bread Financial Rewards Amex ($19,150), PNC Cash Rewards ($18,400), PNC Cashbuilder ($18,700) , Citi Double Cash ($9600), Discover It Cash ($9000), Walmart MC ($8000), Bank of America Unlimited Cash Rewards ($7500), Fifth Third Unlimited Cash Back Mastercard ($7500), Wells Fargo Active Cash Sig($7000), Apple Card ($6000), Amex BCE($6000), Amex ED($6600), X1 Card ($5000), PNC Points ($8000), Amex Cash Magnet($2000), Fifth Third Truly Simple ($4000), Truist Spectrum Cash Rewards($4500), Truist Bright Card($4500), CapOne Quicksilver(Bucketed @$1500), US Bank Cash+ ($5,000), US Bank Cash+ ($1,000), WF mortgage 195K Fico 8: EQ 766, TU 763, EX 753, FICO 9:EQ 829, TU 812, EX 791, AAoA-97 months, AoOA-28 years
Message 6 of 11
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@JoeWash82 wrote:

I have a citicard been going through a rough patch, can't afford monthly payment. Citi offered to cut payment in half but close the card. How does the affect my credit? Do you all have any other suggestions.

I don't pretend to know the answer to your question, but I have a hunch it will reflect negatively... i.e. that Citi will put something in your report about it that's derogatory.

Total revolving limits 657200 (536700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 706 TU 710 EX 708

Message 7 of 11
willmsbrg
Regular Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@JoeWash82 wrote:

I don't pretend to know the answer to your question, but I have a hunch it will reflect negatively... i.e. that Citi will put something in your report about it that's derogatory.

Read the section "Whilst I receive financial assistance, how will my repayment history be reported to the credit bureaus?"

Not sure where the original poster is from but, that weblink is for Citi customers based in Australia...  it has a .au attached to the webpage... 

Message 8 of 11
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

@willmsbrg wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@JoeWash82 wrote:

Read the section "Whilst I receive financial assistance, how will my repayment history be reported to the credit bureaus?"

Not sure where the original poster is from but, that weblink is for Citi customers based in Australia...  it has a .au attached to the webpage... 

Good catch.  That's probably my fault.  But hopefully the general advice stays the same.  Smiley Happy  

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 9 of 11
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@willmsbrg wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@JoeWash82 wrote:

Thanks for pointing that out. I'm going to delete that section from my original response.  Sorry @JoeWash82 

Total revolving limits 657200 (536700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 706 TU 710 EX 708

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.