Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BoA Closed Card due to inactivity

tag
lhaymond
New Visitor

BoA Closed Card due to inactivity

I had a 28 year account history on a BoA card with a $30,000 limit closed due to inactivity. I have read through some posts that suggest a reopening is possible, but the vast majority seem to suggest its hopeless. My score took a 56 point hit overnight. Anybody have any luck with BoA reopening? My wife and I have a checking account and another card with a smaller line. Any thoughts other than use and payoff my cards going forward? Thanks

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: BoA Closed Card due to inactivity

@lhaymond wrote:

My score took a 56 point hit overnight.

This increased your revolving utilization ?   What are your other cards / limits / balances ?

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 20
lhaymond
New Visitor

I have very little revolving credit. I have one Chase card with a $4,000 limit. Overall credit utilization 6%

Message 3 of 20
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@lhaymond wrote:

I had a 28 year account history on a BoA card with a $30,000 limit closed due to inactivity. I have read through some posts that suggest a reopening is possible, but the vast majority seem to suggest its hopeless. My score took a 56 point hit overnight. Anybody have any luck with BoA reopening? My wife and I have a checking account and another card with a smaller line. Any thoughts other than use and payoff my cards going forward? Thanks

No real answer to your questions.

However curious as to how long with no use before they closed it ?

Message 4 of 20
lhaymond
New Visitor

Several years.... clearly just my lack of education. Had I known I would have managed it.

Message 5 of 20
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

Given that you can actually talk and escalate to BOA management, (unlike Cap1) I would say try to see if you can reactivate your card!

Message 6 of 20
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@lhaymond wrote:

Welcome to the forum.

You should certainly try to get it reopened, whether other people do or do not think it is hopeless.

Total revolving limits 657200 (536700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 712 TU 710 EX 708

Message 7 of 20
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@lhaymond wrote:

Welcome to the forum.

You should certainly try to get it reopened, whether other people do or do not think it is hopeless.

Yes, and promise that you will start using it if reopened (and, if they do, do use it for a while!)  

Message 8 of 20
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Kforce wrote:

However curious as to how long with no use before they closed it ?

2 years puts you on their radar.  They at least used to mail you a warning before taking AA that you needed to make a transaction by a stated date else the card would be closed.

(5/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 9 of 20
Janneman
Established Contributor

Synchrony closed my card early of last year by reporting me to CRAs that I was deceased...Not that they received some wrong info from SSA or some other ways, rather in the end it was found that the reason was that I didn't use the card for 10 months which sounded weird...Anyway, it took me a while to get the same card re-activated. However,  in OP case, odds are none to impossible to get re-opened, but I would definitely try my best to get it re-opened. If not, then it would be just another HP to get another card with them. It did happen to me in the past when BOA closed my account out of blue even though card was being used regularly....No any negatives or anything with utilization or TCL as well....

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.