Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex CEO: More Card ‘Refreshes’ (& Fee Hikes) Are Coming Soon

tag
Zoostation1
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex CEO: More Card ‘Refreshes’ (& Fee Hikes) Are Coming Soon

I don't have any of the higher AF Amex cards, only BCP and at it's current rate I'll definitely keep it (especially with the CAP discount).  If it were to go up significantly and become more of a coupon book like the MR cards are I'd look into downgrading it to BCE.  At that point I'd move my streaming spend and most of my grocery spend to Savor since the C1 duo gets a majority of my monthly spend as it is.  I'd keep the BCE for gas, online purchases and grocery back up.

Rebuild Started Nov 2021
June 2022 FICO 8:
June 2022 FICO 9:
May 2024 FICO 8:
May 2024 FICO 9:
Message 11 of 70
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

@CYBERSAM wrote:

Always liked AMEX and their services, so hopefully they "revamp" their obsolete cards such as 1.5% rewards etc...

I have perhaps the most obsolete of Amex's offerings...  the "Amex EveryDay" card.  That's the one that earns Membership Rewards points, and should not be confused with "Blue Cash Everyday".  It's rewards program is hardly worth putting any spend on, but it's my third oldest card and has my highest single credit limit.  I'm keeping it alive for its outsized contribution to my FICO profile, but I live in hope that it will eventually be refreshed into a more competitive product.  I would love a consumer version of Blue Business Plus.  

May 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, NO New Revolver [will be reassigned when new account starts reporting]
FICO8:
FICO9:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 0 mos | New Accounts: 1/6, 1/12, 3/24 | Util: 1% | DTI: 1%
Message 12 of 70
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@NoHardLimits wrote:

I have perhaps the most obsolete of Amex's offerings...  the "Amex EveryDay" card.

I'll see your ED and raise you my American Express Blue, which came with a handy card reader for shopping on the world wide web at all of today's biggest merchants like Circuit City and KB Toys, that plugs into my printer port (LPT, not USB) and also gets me 30% off CDs at Virgin Megastores!

#AmexLifer My cards aren't going anywhere.

Message 13 of 70
GZG
Valued Contributor

conflicted, hoping to see the Amex gold refresh before too long, my AF is coming up

hoping to get a not completely terrible retention offer, I've seen like 10k points for $3k spend, which might as well offer me nothing instead

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 14 of 70
Zoostation1
Valued Contributor

@GZGYou sure you want a refresh? If it's too much of a coupon book now it's only going to get worse imo.

Rebuild Started Nov 2021
June 2022 FICO 8:
June 2022 FICO 9:
May 2024 FICO 8:
May 2024 FICO 9:
Message 15 of 70
Wu-Credit
Contributor

Almost guaranteed the BCP and EDP go up to $150 AF. 

Cards & Loans

myFICO | 754↑
Message 16 of 70
GZG
Valued Contributor

@Zoostation1 wrote:

@GZGYou sure you want a refresh? If it's too much of a coupon book now it's only going to get worse imo.

in the sense that I want to know what the refresh is before I pay the AF

as opposed to thinking that the card should be refreshed

card is great where it is, wish the dining credit was less restrictive, adding more partners to that would be nice, but grubhub is good enough for me

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 17 of 70
Aim_High
Super Contributor

I'm not against the high AFs, per se.  And I'm not against having credits that help to offset it.   The overall value of a card in the end is what matters.  But IMO, the whole idea with an AF and credits should be to motivate the consumer to USE their card more heavily and make it a daily driver.   So the way AMEX approaches the AF/credits is disingenuous.   I feel like they are purposefully trying to work against their customers to optimize AF spoilage while an opposite tactic would be more motivating to many of us.  I've often posted about this on the Blue Cash Preferred, where no one ever gets a NET return of the advertised 6% (GROSS return) on groceries between the burden of the AF on one end and the $6K cap leading to 1% returns on the other.  Before streaming, it's only 4.41%. 

For another example, they've shown they can make money off a high AF card like the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant ($650 AF) that credits $25 monthly or $300 annually on non-specific restaurant charges monthly.  But the Gold card dining/ride share credits are much more narrow.  If they did the same thing on the Gold card while perhaps adding at least one other useful annual credit (maybe $200 airline fee credit, similar to what they used to have when I first got the Gold and before they shuffled the credits?), it might be worth it to pay as much as $500 for the Gold instead of $250 and you wouldn't feel like they were playing so many games.   Then maybe enhance the rewards a little so you'd get not only 4x dining + groceries, but also 3x on ALL travel, 2x everything else with a higher AF and more useful credits.   The Gold just wouldn't have the 5x airfare and lounge benefits of Platinum.   Maybe offer some upgraded travel protections and that would be a killer card, even at that high AF. 

Whatever they do, I think they need to stop making such frequent changes to their cards if they want to build more card loyalty.  Its no wonder they accuse so many of churning the bonus by cancelling their cards when they keep the targets moving. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$900K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0 - SYCH - 65.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 18 of 70
redpat
Senior Contributor

Well I made out better with the last Delta Res change w/ the new $200 hotel credit.  I'll wait to see if any changes happen to Plat but I'm not going anywhere, I only have 4 personal cards and if there are changes it wouldn't bother me as much as it would others.

Let the games begin.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 19 of 70
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@NoHardLimits wrote:

I have perhaps the most obsolete of Amex's offerings...  the "Amex EveryDay" card.

I'll see your ED and raise you my American Express Blue, which came with a handy card reader for shopping on the world wide web at all of today's biggest merchants like Circuit City and KB Toys, that plugs into my printer port (LPT, not USB) and also gets me 30% off CDs at Virgin Megastores!

#AmexLifer My cards aren't going anywhere.

Ha ha.  Smiley LOL  I think my EveryDay was originally a Blue with Membership Rewards Express.  I product changed it after the EveryDay was introduced.  I'm surprised that you still have your Blue after all this time.

May 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, NO New Revolver [will be reassigned when new account starts reporting]
FICO8:
FICO9:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 0 mos | New Accounts: 1/6, 1/12, 3/24 | Util: 1% | DTI: 1%
Message 20 of 70
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.