cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5% Cash Back cards with selectable categories?

tag
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

5% Cash Back cards with selectable categories?

I was giving it some thought and it hit me that being able to select your own 5% cat is pretty handy.  I still enjoy my rotators but being able to know which cats you can earn 5% CB in all year long, without taking it quarter by quarter, is pretty sweet.  

I know I am missing some, can you guys help me list more 5% CB cards with a fixed list of categories to choose from (fixed list meaning it is the same list all year (so no Langely or Safe in this case)).  Bank or Credit Union.  Here is my short list:

citi Custom Cash.  Not selectable as in you check a box but selectable by your spending habits.  Great card.

BoA Customized Cash Rewards (but only with Platinum Honors).

USB Cash+ and twins.  Two selectable categories!  

Vantage West (Possible hoop jumping and/or possible geo restrictions).  

Help add to the list please.  Thanks!  Smiley Happy

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 1 of 46
45 REPLIES 45
keekers
Established Contributor

Re: 5% Cash Back cards with selectable categories?

Not 5% but Venmo Visa is a 3% category card, followed by a 2% for your second highest spend category.

Message 2 of 46
BigBS
Senior Contributor

Langley FCU VISA.

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 3 of 46
300FICOScore
Established Member

Not selectable since it includes all mobile wallet transactions which in my opinion makes it better:

US Bank Kroger Mastercard

Here's a similar thread:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Comprehensive-list-of-5-rotators-Anything-missing/td-p... 

Message 4 of 46
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@BigBS wrote:

Langley FCU VISA.

OP specifically disallowed that in the original post, as the list isn't sufficiently fixed

Message 5 of 46
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

US Bank Shopper Cash Rewards has a $95 fee, but gives 6% at 2 selectable retailers ($1500 cap per quarter).

May 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, NO New Revolver [will be reassigned when new account starts reporting]
FICO8:
FICO9:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 0 mos | New Accounts: 1/6, 1/12, 3/24 | Util: 1% | DTI: 1%
Message 6 of 46
DoppelgangerD
Contributor

@ptatohed wrote:

Vantage West.  

So I've been casually researching all cards that can be useful to me for quite a while now, but this is the first time I've heard of Vantage West.

I'm thinking there must be some kind of catch, or else this card would be much more popular (?).

EDIT: based on quick research, seems as though there is some significant hoop jumping needed to get this card from a geofenced CU.

While I think this is a good card for those who can obtain it, I think you should put an asterisk next to it to indicate that it's geofenced, or just put geofenced in parentheses.

Message 7 of 46
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

@DoppelgangerD wrote:

@ptatohed wrote:

Vantage West.  

So I've been casually researching all cards that can be useful to me for quite a while now, but this is the first time I've heard of Vantage West.

I'm thinking there must be some kind of catch, or else this card would be much more popular (?).

EDIT: based on quick research, seems as though there is some significant hoop jumping needed to get this card from a geofenced CU.

While I think this is a good card for those who can obtain it, I think you should put an asterisk next to it to indicate that it's geofenced, or just put geofenced in parentheses.

There is another recent thread where it's discussed that if an existing member invites you, you can join the CU.  

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 8 of 46
IcyCool7227
Regular Contributor

What is that link please? I'd love to get into the PCMCU one for the 5% catch all card up to $1k spend a month.

As of: 3/28/24:

EQ: 785 (prev. 778 on 2/6/24; 773 on 1/26/24 & 750 on 1/7/24 & 626 on 6/7/24 & 652 in April 2023) - FICO 8
EX: 763 (prev. 755 on 2/6/24; 753 on 1/26/24 & 732 on 1/7/24 & 643 on 6/7/24 & 619 in April 2023) - FICO 8
TU: 759 (prev. 748 on 2/6/24; 744 on 1/26/24 & 689 on 1/7/24 & 6/7/24 & 654 in April 2023) - CreditKarma

Have:
- Amazon Prime Store Card: $5,000
- Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards: $1,200
- Chase Freedom Flex: $500
- Discover it Cashback: $2,000
- Kohl’s Charge: $3,000
- Mercury Rewards Visa: $4,390
- Super Cash: Limit varies based on debit balance - doesn't show up in accounts anymore though on CRs.
Message 9 of 46
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@DoppelgangerD wrote:

@ptatohed wrote:

Vantage West.  

You found the catch.

A geofence was nothing new but there was also a back door to membership by becoming a paid member of a local bicycle club in Arizona (not unlike AOD's backdoor with an Alabama club) until the card got the MyFico FOTM treatment a few years ago.  After the deluge of applications subsided they tightened up on the membership residency qualification requirements.

Another card to add to the list would be the Affinity FCU Cash Rewards Visa that still pays 5% back on up to $1K per month on Amazon purchases.    The card used to also have rotating quarterly categories through what they called the Hi-5 program and a $3500/month cap on 5% Amazon purchases but they nerfed that at the end of 2022.

(5/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 10 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.