cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

21 Yrs Old + Thin File + Need Tips / Pointers

tag
savvysaver

21 Yrs Old + Thin File + Need Tips / Pointers

I'm a 21-year-old with a steady income of $85,000 annually looking to build a strong credit history. While my ultimate goal is to qualify for the American Express Platinum card, I understand the importance of starting with a solid foundation. Could you recommend some banks or credit card options that are beginner-friendly and can help me establish a positive credit profile? 
Scores as of today: 727 (EQ) | 749 (TR) | 721 (EX)

Currently on my file:

Navy Federal Secured Card - $500 Limit (11 Months)

CarMax Auto Loan w/Cosignor - $19,000 (27 Months)

Barclays Mastercard - $2,100 Limit (4 yrs 11 Months) - Authorized User - Only reporting on my EQ

Any suggestions?

10 REPLIES 10
Wu-Credit
Contributor

Re: 21 Yrs Old + Thin File + Need Tips / Pointers

Honestly I think you should be good to apply for an Amex right now. The good news is they now have a pre-approval tool that uses a soft inquiry when applying, and allows you to accept the offer if approved before a hard inquiry is imposed.

Good luck!

Credit Cards

Loans

myFICO | 754↑
Message 2 of 11
GZG
Valued Contributor

@savvysaver wrote:

I'm a 21-year-old with a steady income of $85,000 annually looking to build a strong credit history. While my ultimate goal is to qualify for the American Express Platinum card, I understand the importance of starting with a solid foundation. Could you recommend some banks or credit card options that are beginner-friendly and can help me establish a positive credit profile? 

Currently on my file:

Barclays Mastercard - $2,100 Limit (4 yrs 11 Months) - Authorized User - Only reporting on my EQ

Any suggestions?

why hasn't your secured card graduated? very bizzare tbh, were you ever late on it or did you overdraft navy at all? 

um, honeslty just apply for another navy card and it won't surprise me to see you get a nice big limit tbh 

you could also get discover it or savor one, (use the pre-approval) great cards I imagine you'll also be approved for 

but if you want an amex, go right ahead and apply like said above ^ ^, how do you plan the make the most of the benefits of the platinum, will you have the $8k spend for the bonus?

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 3 of 11
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@savvysaver wrote:

Currently on my file:

Any suggestions?

You would easily qualify for the Amex Platinum card right now.

The only question to ask is whether you can get enough value out of it to justify the sky high annual fee.

Total revolving limits 710800 (590300 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 712 TU 710 EX 710

Message 4 of 11
savvysaver

Never was late, when I spoke to them they advised me that it would just happen at its own pace and was not something I could request.

I would also have the $8K spend for the bonus as I intend to use it to pay bills, rent, etc. So that isn't a problem. 

I'll try the pre approvals with Discover need to unfreeze my reports. 

Message 5 of 11
Carrington59
Established Member

I would recommend looking at the Chase Freedom Flex/Freedom Unlimited (as well as any other Chase cards you like), Capital 1 SavorOne, Citi Custom Cash/Double Cash first. AMEX has a lot more lenient rules for accounts/inquiries . With your score and income, you shouldn't have a problem with AMEX. If I could do it again, I would focus on Chase, Citi, and C1 first as they are more hesitant with recent accounts/inquiries. Chase has their 5/24 rule that will lock you out from any Chase cards if you have 5 or more new accounts in the past 24 months.

Gardening Since: 07/2023 (0/6, 2/12, 11/24)

Current Cards:

Potential Future Cards:

Message 6 of 11
savvysaver

Just applied here's what they told me. The Barclays is only reporting on my Equifax and I wonder if the decision would have been different if it was reflecting on my Experian. Should I have went for the Green?

Our evaluation of the accounts on your credit report based on the number, type, length of time opened, and credit risk level. (Experian)

The average credit limit on all your credit card accounts is too low (Experian)

The length of time is too short since the first account on your credit report was opened. (Experian)

In our estimation, the amount you have paid on your bank and retail credit card accounts over the last twelve months is too low. (Experian)

Message 7 of 11
Carrington59
Established Member

Just double checked your credit profile and I think the issue was that you only have the one secured card that is 11 months old. The AU you have is nice for boosting credit score, but that is telling the banks the history of the primary user, not your history. I know Chase likes to see a full year of credit history and I imagine many other issuers are the same, but can't speak on specifics. I would wait a couple months (so your secured card reports as over a year old) and get some starter cards first like Chase Freedom Flex/Unlimited, C1 SavorOne, Citi Double/Custom Cash. I imagine AMEX is wanting to see some more history first, as the rest of your profile looks good.

Gardening Since: 07/2023 (0/6, 2/12, 11/24)

Current Cards:

Potential Future Cards:

Message 8 of 11
Heatt99
Frequent Contributor

It's great that you're thinking now about your credit foundation. While people think you have good income, they didn't ask about your DTI. 

Most lenders like to see at least 1-2 years of revolving primary accounts before they hand out the bag. Try to get another AU that reports to all 3 bureaus, its not a primary, but it might help when FI pull (EX, TU).

IMO, try Discover & 2nd NFCU card. Even if Disco hands out secured version, take it, they tend to unsecure around 7th statement.

* Call reconsideration line if you didn't get approved, it never hurts.

Once your secured navy card unsecures ask for increase every 6 months

If you get approved for an unsecured Disco, naturally spend on it, and ask for an increase every 90 days.

Before you know it 2 years will arrive, and you'll be in great position to apply for any card of your choosing.

GL

Message 9 of 11
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

The one I might look at is Bank of America as they have good limits, some nice cash back categories and generous CLIs. Citibank has Custom Cash which is 5% on whatever category you want so you can set that up for dining.

Chase is more the type of bank that is good if you are in your 30s and have a 200k+ income for massive limits.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.