Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Redstone Pre-Approval...Pure Temptation

tag
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

Re: Redstone Pre-Approval...Pure Temptation

Go for it! Visa Platinum that is. My understanding is when you get pre-approval, its going to be SP 👍

Message 21 of 41
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

OK, so I went thru the motions. I signed up for 2 Years free for AUSA. After that, I submitted the app for membership to Redstone. I was thinking they were going to ask for the AUSA Membership #, but it didn't. Then the qualifications page, I could not find anything in the drop down that mentioned AUSA. There was one the mentioned Army by itself to choose (not in the previous drop down) so I chose that and was expecting for it to ask for a AUSA Membership #, but it didn't either. Then the last page I had to upload 3 docs, (license, SS card, and a Utility Bill) which I did. Odd thing (keep in mind I was doing this while working, which I shouldn't have LOL) There was no additional submit button after the docs. The page did say I would get an email, but that was over an hour ago, and so far no email. 🤔

Anyways, we'll see what happens Smiley Happy

Potential Future Cards
Message 22 of 41
dlister70
Frequent Contributor

@Vash wrote:

I actually just got my Redstone Visa Signature a few weeks ago after two appeals.  They declined me twice before finally agreed to give me the Signature version @ $5k, instead of the visa traditional version at $2k

If you don't mind sharing, what was the reason for the declines, and how did you talk your way out of it?  Smiley Happy

I had a similar experience with Redstone where they offered the traditional Visa, and I had to call them to reconsider for the signature Visa.  They approved once an actual person looked at it, but I probably would have given up if they said no at that point (thinking that there was no more that I could do). 

I'm glad that you were able to stick with it and get the card, but it make me curious as to what changed from your/their end to make them approve.   

Message 23 of 41
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@ptatohed 

>>Also, the overly confusing .5 point system is a big turn off for me, even if it does translate to a true 5%/3%/1.5% CB at the end of the day.  

I was wondering if you could elaborate on this more Smiley Happy

I was just approved for membership - and if that pre-approved ever shows up 60-90 days from now for a CC, I want to know what I am in for Smiley Very Happy

Potential Future Cards
Message 24 of 41
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

@Wavester64 wrote:

@ptatohed 

>>Also, the overly confusing .5 point system is a big turn off for me, even if it does translate to a true 5%/3%/1.5% CB at the end of the day.  

I was just approved for membership - and if that pre-approved ever shows up 60-90 days from now for a CC, I want to know what I am in for Smiley Very Happy

W64, the real quick answer is, I wouldn't worry bout it.  It's still a great card (from what I can tell) and you'll still get a true 5/3/1.5% CB at the end of the day.  

But all I meant was the calculations and points behind the % CB is, at least in my opinion, unnecessarily confusing.  Instead of earning a straight CB % which is always my preference, with the Redstone Visa Sig, you earn points, not %.  Hmmmfff.  Smiley Frustrated  But, ok, as long as those points translate to true %CB at the end of the day, it's ok.  Well, one would think, and hope, that one point is worth a penny, right?  You earn 5 points per 1 dollar spent on gas which is 5 cents per dollar which is 5% CB.  Not with Redstone.  Points are worth only .5 cents each but then they double the points to reward you.  So, instead of 5 points per dollar spent on gas, they give you 10 points per dollar, but because each point is only worth .5c, you end up with 5c per dollar spent on gas, or 5%.  Great............. but why the unnecessary complexity?  

https://www.redfcu.org/personal/credits-cards/visa-signature/

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 25 of 41
Vash
Valued Member

@dlister70 wrote:

@Vash wrote:

I actually just got my Redstone Visa Signature a few weeks ago after two appeals.  They declined me twice before finally agreed to give me the Signature version @ $5k, instead of the visa traditional version at $2k

If you don't mind sharing, what was the reason for the declines, and how did you talk your way out of it?  Smiley Happy

I had a similar experience with Redstone where they offered the traditional Visa, and I had to call them to reconsider for the signature Visa.  They approved once an actual person looked at it, but I probably would have given up if they said no at that point (thinking that there was no more that I could do). 

I'm glad that you were able to stick with it and get the card, but it make me curious as to what changed from your/their end to make them approve.   

I already shared my whole story even before the second appeal worked lol.
Here is the original thread 
https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Redstone-Visa-Signature-DENIED-Then-3-cards-a...

Also my second thread after I received all five new cards. 
https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/5-cards-approved-almost-at-the-same-time-with...

Enjoy reading 😄

Message 26 of 41
Vash
Valued Member

@Wavester64 wrote:

@ptatohed 

I can careless about the point system. 
But what bothers me so far is that we can’t check the cash back on each individual transaction. There is only a total cashback amount you can check. So if a transaction did not give 5%, you’d never know which one if it's been a while since.  

My other new card, AAA Daily advantage for example, shows the cash back amount on every single transaction two days after it went through.  It's not without it's own negatively though.  I can’t use the available cash back to pay the (current balance).  It has to be paid for the (last statement balance).  My first statement was -$8 lol (because they actually gave me $100 statement credit as signup bonus the day I reached $1k spending).   So even after the first statement, I still can't use the cash back even though my current balance is not negative nor zero.  😅

Really liked the features on my wife’s Capital One Walmart card.  Not only it show the cashback % on each transaction, but it also allows me to use the cash back to pay for the current balance at any time (as long as it does not exceed the current balance).  

Message 27 of 41
dlister70
Frequent Contributor

@ptatohed wrote:

So, instead of 5 points per dollar spent on gas, they give you 10 points per dollar, but because each point is only worth .5c, you end up with 5c per dollar spent on gas, or 5%.  Great............. but why the unnecessary complexity?  

https://www.redfcu.org/personal/credits-cards/visa-signature/

I think it's because of the 1.5% regular cash back rate.  If they gave a straight 1 point per 1 cent, then you'd end up with half points.  Since they give double points, you don't have half points to contend with?  That's the answer I've seen that makes the most sense.

Message 28 of 41
dlister70
Frequent Contributor

@Vash wrote:

I already shared my whole story even before the second appeal worked lol.
Here is the original thread 
https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Redstone-Visa-Signature-DENIED-Then-3-cards-a...

Also my second thread after I received all five new cards. 
https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/5-cards-approved-almost-at-the-same-time-with...

Enjoy reading 😄

Quite a tale!  I'm glad that it worked out in the end!  

Message 29 of 41
dlister70
Frequent Contributor

@Vash wrote:

@Wavester64 wrote:

@ptatohed 

I can careless about the point system. 
But what bothers me so far is that we can’t check the cash back on each individual transaction. There is only a total cashback amount you can check. So if a transaction did not give 5%, you’d never know which one if it's been a while since.  

Really liked the features on my wife’s Capital One Walmart card.  Not only it show the cashback % on each transaction, but it also allows me to use the cash back to pay for the current balance at any time (as long as it does not exceed the current balance).  

You can see what category it coded at as the transactions show up on your transaction list.  Click the + sign next to the transaction, and it will tell you the category.  You can also click on your rewards on the front page, and get a more detailed look at how many points you earned for each transaction.  And finally, you can download your transactions as an excel spreadsheet and see the categories there too.  

Still not as straightforward as some of my cards, but there are ways to tell.  It took me a bit with their website to figure it out though.

Message 30 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.