Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre Approval Odds for AMEX Gold Card

tag
trentsharpe
New Visitor

Pre Approval Odds for AMEX Gold Card

Hello,

I'm thinking about applying for an Amex Gold card with an Experian 692 score. I've been repairing my credit and had a goal of obtaining an upmarket credit card this year.

1 late payment in the past year, 3 in the last 7 years. No charge offs. No current delinquincies.

1 Closed Credit One, no balance. This was the late payment.

1 Discover Card ($3,600) 90% utilized. 30 years old.
1 Avant Card ($1,500) 50% utilized.

House Mortgage 20 years, 2 cars, 2 personal loans.

I also have a high salary, $330k annually.

The Discover Card's utilization is high, but my other FICO 8 factors are good or exceptional. Was thinking about trying the pre approval link but have read a few denials after being preapproved on this forum. The Experian marketplace says I have "Good" odds for approval whatever that means.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

TK

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
FicoMike0
Established Contributor

Re: Pre Approval Odds for AMEX Gold Card

Id sure try to get that utilization down. That would boost your score. You don't say what dti is. Not that I know anything, but paying credit card interest on ~$4000 looks like $330k is stretched pretty thin. I'd suggest getting your present debt under control before looking for more. Of course the gold card isn't a credit card anyway.

I don't think the amex fee charge cards are real hard to get, I'd try the pre qual, and take a no there as a no. Do you see $250 worth of benes with the card? If you just want an amex card, they have real credit cards with no fee.

Message 2 of 7
trentsharpe
New Visitor

Thanks FicoMike0 for replying.

After tax DTI is 21% after summing all loan payments.

My plan was to eliminate Discover by end of summer.

TK

Message 3 of 7
CreditPoor
Regular Contributor

Amex looks back 24 month when it comes to history. Your score unfortunately is still kind of low and the lates are going to be a no go. I'd recommend waiting til your scores above 710 and there is more distance between the lates. Also reducing the balances on your cards. Stating that income with consistent balances for lengthy periods of time will also likely trigger 4506C, so I'd be prepared for that

Message 4 of 7
trentsharpe
New Visitor

Thanks!

This is good information.

Message 5 of 7
Zoostation1
Valued Contributor

The score isn't keeping them from approval.  It's well known with Amex that the charge cards Green/Gold/Plat have lower underwriting standards than the revolvers.  It's fairly common for people with  640-650 FICO 8 scores to get approved for any of the 3 charge cards, but the combination of a late within the last year and a card with high utilzation, is what IMO tanks their odds of approval.

Rebuild Started Nov 2021
June 2022 FICO 8:
June 2022 FICO 9:
May 2024 FICO 8:
May 2024 FICO 9:
Message 6 of 7
FicoMike0
Established Contributor

Another vote to get that utilization under control! Nice thing is, your scores will then go up within the next billing cycle. Instant gratification. Also, it's just the right thing to do.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.