Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Rewards+ or US Bank Cash+ ?

tag
Cosmic7
Established Member

Citi Rewards+ or US Bank Cash+ ?

Good day, lads.

I am here again to ask for your thoughts/advice. I want to apply for the Citi Rewards+ OR US Bank Cash+. I don't know my odds, I've been lucky with Citi in the past, and I've witnessed US Bank giving 500$ CLs like it was candy.

Profile:

1. 7 CCs Totaling 30k+ CL
  2. Under 2% Utilization
  3. FICO8: EXP 767, TU 765, EQ 764
  4. Hard Pulls: EXP 4/24, 0/12, TU 0 EQ 0
  5. Oldest Card: 2 years 9 months old
  6. Newest Card: 1 year 2 months old
  7. Average age: 1 year 9 months
  8. 2 Citi Custom Cashes (1 Double Cash PC'd a month ago if that's relevant for Rewards+)
  9. Can't bank with USB as my zipcode is not serviced (Don't know if that applies to Credit cards as well)

What would be the most obtainable card in my situation? I benefit slightly more from Cash+, so I am leaning towards USB Cash+ but I am open to feedback. Thanks!

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

Re: Citi Rewards+ or US Bank Cash+ ?

Citi and US Bank have been very sensitive to new accounts and inquiries.  But since you are 0/12, that metric will probably not cause a problem for you.  The biggest issue I see is that you already have 2 Citi cards, and Citi will have some type of maximum internal credit limit amount identified for you.  Regarding geofencing for US Bank, that does not apply to their credit cards.  I have 3 US Bank cards and do not live in their service area.

May 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, New Revolver
FICO8:
FICO9:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 10 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 0 mos | New Accounts: 1/6, 1/12, 3/24 | Util: 1% | DTI: 1%
Message 2 of 17
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

Citi Rewards+ is only good for 5X Hotel and Car Rentals! US Bank Cash+ has many 5% categories to select.

I'm actually thinking of getting 2nd Cash+ to capitalize on other categories.

Message 3 of 17
CorpCrMgr1
Valued Contributor

I'd go with the USB. Good luck!!

Message 4 of 17
FicoMike0
Established Contributor

I just did the usb altitude connect for the $500 sub.  The af is deferred and  the fine print says they're dropping it in September. I'll likely try to pc it for cash+ or shoppers after the sub. My cs are similar to yours and I was 1/6, 3/12.  Auto approved. Only unfrozen tu. You shouldn't have a problem.

Message 5 of 17
GhostPrototype
Established Member

The Cash+'s 5% cashback on Utilities category is extremely valuable because that is mandatory spending for everyone and in a category where other credit cards are not trying to compete. Internet/Streaming or Cell Phone should be probably the second 5% category choice, depending on which providers you use. Note that many ISPs actually code to the Cell Phone category so you'll need to do a bit of research to make the optimal choice and try to cover as much spending as possible.

Paypal Bill Pay complements these 5% categories by allowing you to reap rewards while avoiding credit card fees at some utility/internet providers. In certain cases, Using the Cash+ through PPBP will change the category a purchase is coded to. That can be either helpful or hurtful,  depending on the situation and requires some research, as well.

The other 5% categories on the Cash+ overlap with other cards' rewards and can be frustrating to use because USB is much more picky about MCCs on transactions than other card issuers. It's often unclear which merchants get 5% and which get 1% until AFTER you make a purchase. I tried using the Recreation category and was burned repeatedly on what did and didn't qualify.

Message 6 of 17
keekers
Established Contributor

My vote is USB.

Message 7 of 17
FicoMike0
Established Contributor

Usb also has a $500 sub on their smarty checking account. Once you have the app on your phone and a user/pw, not much extra bother. No fee if you have their card too.

Message 8 of 17
MJ-san
Frequent Contributor

Rewards+ doesn't offer any great rewards - BUT - having it does get you 10% "points back" when you redeem ThankYouPoints fromm OTHER Citi cards up to 10,000 points earned (100k redeemed).

Example - custom cash redeem 50,000 points for $500 cash, get an extra 5k points or $50.

i have it and use it once or twice a year to keep it open - it's an extra $100 per year in earnings Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 17
Wu-Credit
Contributor

The Rewards+ will give you a 10% boost when redeeming your CCC TYPs. I wish I had applied for it rather than the Cash+ in between sprees when I was under 4/12. I recently closed the Cash+ because its only use for me was the utility category which PayPal nerfed recently by removing many billers.

I've been denied for the Rewards+ three times since Smiley Sad

Cards & Loans

myFICO | 754↑
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.