Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Custom Cash & U.S. Bank Altitude Reserve

tag
AyaMai
Frequent Contributor

Citi Custom Cash & U.S. Bank Altitude Reserve

I am thinking applying for these 2 cards at the end of the year when all my new open accounts and inquiries have passed the 12 months period.  I have a checking account and Cash+ credit card with U.S Bank, as for Citibank I just recently opened a checking account and I am an authorized user on P2 Citi Costco Anywhere Visa for few years.  Is it smart to apply for both cards on the same day & time.  

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

Re: Citi Custom Cash & U.S. Bank Altitude Reserve

Waiting until 0/12 new accounts and inquiries is definitely a good strategy with both of these lenders.  Recent data points indicate that both are sensitive to new accounts, while Citi is also sensitive to new inquiries.  If it were me, I would decide which one is more important to me and apply for that one first.  If they are equally important, than I would go for Citi first when I had 0 inquiries.

May 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, NO New Revolver [will be reassigned when new account starts reporting]
FICO8:
FICO9:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 0 mos | New Accounts: 1/6, 1/12, 3/24 | Util: 1% | DTI: 1%
Message 2 of 8
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Without knowing your geography, you should do some research in the Approvals forum to find which CB they will pull in your local area.

I am "almost" certain that US Bank pulls TU regardless of where you're located but please verify with other approvals from your location with US Bank.

For Citi, I also believe they chose different CB's based on where you're at.

Check that first....then if they're different CB's....then applying at the same time would not be visible to one another

Message 3 of 8
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Agreed with @cashorcharge that simultaneous apps can be risky if you don't do your research first.  Proceed with caution, @AyaMai.  Let us know how it turns out. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$900K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0 - SYCH - 65.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 4 of 8
Janneman
Established Contributor

@AyaMai wrote:

I am thinking applying for these 2 cards at the end of the year when all my new open accounts and inquiries have passed the 12 months period.  I have a checking account and Cash+ credit card with U.S Bank, as for Citibank I just recently opened a checking account and I am an authorized user on P2 Citi Costco Anywhere Visa for few years.  Is it smart to apply for both cards on the same day & time.  

Agreed with all the statements from other members on here. However, if you couldn't find any datapoint as to which CB is pulled from by these lenders in your location then you should go first with Citi because Citi is EXTREMELY sensitive to inquiries...and even one inquiry in last 6 months would definitely make your application to be denied instantly with Citi. As for US bank then inquries don't matter much but new accounts do which are opened in last 12 months....2 accounts in 12 months are ok, but anything more than would depend on YMMV....because if you have very thick and strong profile then you could walk away with an approval despite of being even 5/12....Based on my personal experience and observation thru various credit froums/groups, a relationship doesn't matter to them even though some might think otherwise. I obtained many CCs with both of these lenders without having any relationship whatsoever with them. Good luck....

Message 5 of 8
AyaMai
Frequent Contributor

@Janneman wrote:

@AyaMai wrote:

Agreed with all the statements from other members on here. However, if you couldn't find any datapoint as to which CB is pulled from by these lenders in your location then you should go first with Citi because Citi is EXTREMELY sensitive to inquiries...and even one inquiry in last 6 months would definitely make your application to be denied instantly with Citi. As for US bank then inquries don't matter much but new accounts do which are opened in last 12 months....2 accounts in 12 months are ok, but anything more than would depend on YMMV....because if you have very thick and strong profile then you could walk away with an approval despite of being even 5/12....Based on my personal experience and observation thru various credit froums/groups, a relationship doesn't matter to them even though some might think otherwise. I obtained many CCs with both of these lenders without having any relationship whatsoever with them. Good luck....

My first preference is to get Citi Custom Cash, it is a great card with no annual fee. 

Message 6 of 8
AyaMai
Frequent Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

Agreed with @cashorcharge that simultaneous apps can be risky if you don't do your research first.  Proceed with caution, @AyaMai.  Let us know how it turns out. 

If I got approved for Citi Custom Cash, I might get cold feet to apply for U.S. Bank Altitude Reserve. Defintely I will inform you how it turned out. 

Message 7 of 8
AyaMai
Frequent Contributor

@cashorcharge wrote:

Without knowing your geography, you should do some research in the Approvals forum to find which CB they will pull in your local area.

I am "almost" certain that US Bank pulls TU regardless of where you're located but please verify with other approvals from your location with US Bank.

For Citi, I also believe they chose different CB's based on where you're at.

Check that first....then if they're different CB's....then applying at the same time would not be visible to one another

Defintely will check.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.