Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex applications

tag
Snook_on_the_Line
Regular Contributor

Amex applications

So I hit up the Amex website last night and went thru the application because I've read they will approve with just a sp and you can accept or reject the approval.   Acceptance obviously would result in a hard pull. 

so I figured it couldn't hurt just to see what they're offering and I app'd for the BCE card and they approved prompting me to accept or reject 

and I rejected because they didn't tell me the sl or apr

my question is does rejecting the approval hurt my chances of approval with Amex in the future?

I just wanted to see where I currently stand with Amex. I didn't think about the fact that if I reject the approval I might hurt my chances of getting the card in the future. 

any insight appreciated 

Starting Score:FICO8s 505ex, 508 eq&tu
Current Score:FICO8s 763ex,760tu,772eq
Goal Score: 800+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Current cards:
Cap1 platinum 200
Cap1 Walmart 1500
Credit one Amex 550
Mission lane visa 400
Lowe’s 30,000
Rebuilding since 12/2021

Always pif, never late
0/24 on inq’s & new accounts
AAoA 2yrs3mo
All time highs (fico8) :

Formerly known as @44456009a
My FIs. WF & AMEX
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
CorpCrMgr1
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex applications

Don't believe it will have any impact. I used to see what Amex CC I would be approved. Good luck!

Message 2 of 19
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

I don't believe it would have any impact. The BCE is a good card. Even if they gave you a low $1000 SL, Amex cards can grow very quickly so I wouldn't care what SL they gave me, I'd take the approval and run with it. 

Message 3 of 19
Snook_on_the_Line
Regular Contributor

My plan with them is wait them out

Now that they have my mailing address and know I'm interested in a card it is just a matter of time until they mail an offer with the apr and limit listed on it.     I've been waiting out Wells Fargo for one year now they're sending me a pre approved email every month and a mailer every other month.  The terms are slowly getting better every couple months.  They started at 29% apr. 1000sl.        
this last one said 24%. 3500sl

When they finally get to 19.99%  I'll jump on it.      

Current cards:
Cap1 platinum 200
Cap1 Walmart 1500
Credit one Amex 550
Mission lane visa 400
Lowe’s 30,000
Rebuilding since 12/2021

Always pif, never late
AAoA 2yrs3mo
All time highs (fico8) :

My FIs. WF & AMEX
Message 4 of 19
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

shouldnt have any impact but just so you know not all lenders are nice and will tell you what SL and APR.

with Amex anyway, its best to PIF.. even the revolvers unless you have a zero percent promo. Amex hates balance carrying even if they have traditional credit cards.

I really wish every lender that did soft pull pre approvals including SL and APRs.

Good luck! :-)

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 5 of 19
Barkius

Unfortunately for me Amex has been generous with the cards but stingy with the CLIs.

I have a gold, a BCE, a BBP and a BBC.  They will not budge on the $1000 limit on the BCE which has been there for nearly 9 months, even though the two business cards each have limits of about 10 grand 🤔

Message 6 of 19
Snook_on_the_Line
Regular Contributor

@Barkius wrote:

Unfortunately for me Amex has been generous with the cards but stingy with the CLIs.

I have a gold, a BCE, a BBP and a BBC.  They will not budge on the $1000 limit on the BCE which has been there for nearly 9 months, even though the two business cards each have limits of about 10 grand 🤔

that's why I want to wait until the collection falls off.   I feel like I'm at the point where I'd be approved but just barely.   I'd rather wait for the bump in score next year and then app with Amex.  That way I feel like I'd get a better rate and sl. Right now they might stick me with the worst apr and sl they offer and be reluctant to cli/reduce the apr.  

my thinking on it at least.  

Current cards:
Cap1 platinum 200
Cap1 Walmart 1500
Credit one Amex 550
Mission lane visa 400
Lowe’s 30,000
Rebuilding since 12/2021

Always pif, never late
AAoA 2yrs3mo
All time highs (fico8) :

My FIs. WF & AMEX
Message 7 of 19
Wu-Credit
Contributor

@Barkius wrote:

You can transfer limits when logging in via computer on account services tab. Not sure about business cards to personal though.

Cards & Loans

myFICO | 754↑
Message 8 of 19
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

@Wu-Credit wrote:

@Barkius wrote:

You can transfer limits when logging in via computer on account services tab. Not sure about business cards to personal though.

Unfortunately, business to personal reallocation is not allowed.  All the other combinations (personal to personal, personal to business, business to business) are okay.

May 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, New Revolver
FICO8:
FICO9:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 10 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 0 mos | New Accounts: 1/6, 1/12, 3/24 | Util: 1% | DTI: 1%
Message 9 of 19
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Snook_on_the_Line wrote:

So I hit up the Amex website last night and went thru the application because I've read they will approve with just a sp and you can accept or reject the approval.   Acceptance obviously would result in a hard pull. 

so I figured it couldn't hurt just to see what they're offering and I app'd for the BCE card and they approved prompting me to accept or reject 

and I rejected because they didn't tell me the sl or apr

my question is does rejecting the approval hurt my chances of approval with Amex in the future?

I just wanted to see where I currently stand with Amex. I didn't think about the fact that if I reject the approval I might hurt my chances of getting the card in the future. 

any insight appreciated 

No it would have no effect.

Total revolving limits 710800 (590300 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 712 TU 710 EX 710

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.