Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alaska Airlines / BofA Application Question

tag
ScarlettHusky
New Contributor

Alaska Airlines / BofA Application Question

This past October, I got a mailer from BofA for the AS Siggy Visa. Since in the terms on the letter it said it was a "firm offer of credit" (and I fly them a couple times a year), I applied. I got insta-denied, with the only reason being a CO for a very old auto loan from 2016. In April last year, I was very dumb and did a dispute on the account balance, which got it (illegally) re-aged to as if it happened 4/2023. I have documentation saying the DOFD was 1/2017, and have been trying to dispute to get them to delete it only to come back verified (I may have to retain legal counsel to get it taken off my reports since it is past the 7 year mark at this point). I was instantly approved for a store card from Synchrony later that month when I got my laptop from Lenovo.

I have enough in savings to open a checking account w/ BofA and instantly fund enough to waive any kind of service fee. If nothing has changed regarding the date of CO, would it being over a year since the supposed CO + opening an account with them have any sway in hopes of me being considered? Scores in siggy are current. Since they've partnered with Bilt, I really would like to get the card to help earn miles on rent as well as my flights on AS.

EX: 678 VantageScore FICO: 667
TU: 743 VantageScore FICO: 699
EQ: 673 VantageScore FICO: 633
As of: 4/17

Wallet:
Chase Disney Premier Visa CL $3,600 Extra Credit Builder Debit Card CL $3,000
Amex Platinum SkyMiles Card CL $9,000 NFCU Signature cashRewards Visa CL $5,000
Synchrony Lenovo Store Card CL $5,000 Citi Shell Fuel Rewards Card CL $600
Comenity Victoria's Secret Angel Card CL $100 Capital One Venture One World Elite MC CL $3,850 Quicksilver World Elite MC CL $1,900
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Re: Alaska Airlines / BofA Application Question

The problem with charge-offs, regardless of the lender or whether they are still reporting to the CRBs, is that many lenders would have internal records that are independent. And they vary on their willingness to forgive, based on the amount and age. You may need to search or post in the rebuilding or bankruptcy forums about member's experience with BofA blacklisting.  I don't have specific information but my suspicions are that charge-off would still haunt you, regardless of removing it from your report or opening deposit accounts. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$900K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0 - SYCH - 65.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 2 of 3
ScarlettHusky
New Contributor

Re: Alaska Airlines / BofA Application Question

@Aim_High wrote:

The problem with charge-offs, regardless of the lender or whether they are still reporting to the CRBs, is that many lenders would have internal records that are independent. And they vary on their willingness to forgive, based on the amount and age. You may need to search or post in the rebuilding or bankruptcy forums about member's experience with BofA blacklisting.  I don't have specific information but my suspicions are that charge-off would still haunt you, regardless of removing it from your report or opening deposit accounts. 

The charge-off wasn't with Bank of America, it was with Ford Motor Credit. I have yet to have any kind of relationship w/ BofA, which is why I thought opening the checking account with them might help tip the scales in my favor a little.

EX: 678 VantageScore FICO: 667
TU: 743 VantageScore FICO: 699
EQ: 673 VantageScore FICO: 633
As of: 4/17

Wallet:
Chase Disney Premier Visa CL $3,600 Extra Credit Builder Debit Card CL $3,000
Amex Platinum SkyMiles Card CL $9,000 NFCU Signature cashRewards Visa CL $5,000
Synchrony Lenovo Store Card CL $5,000 Citi Shell Fuel Rewards Card CL $600
Comenity Victoria's Secret Angel Card CL $100 Capital One Venture One World Elite MC CL $3,850 Quicksilver World Elite MC CL $1,900
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.