cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reaffirming Mortgage 9 Years After Chapter 7?

tag
halah

Reaffirming Mortgage 9 Years After Chapter 7?

I own two condos, a three-bedroom unit that I live in now and reaffirmed in my 2015 chapter 7 and a one-bedroom unit that was underwater and discharged in 2015. I've been renting out the discharged unit and keeping up with payments. It's no longer underwater, and it is finally bringing in income beyond just breaking even from payments (only a few hundred a month, but still it's something). It has not been empty since I moved out in 2014, and I use a management company, so I have 10 years of detailed rental records. I don't think I'm ever going to sell it.

I do eventually plan to sell the unit I'm living in (no rental policy in this building) to purchase a SFH (not soon, but if/when rates ever go down again). What is going to be better for my credit and potential mortgage loan? Maintaining the status quo of keeping the discharged unit off my credit, or having it reaffirmed? And if I do want it reaffirmed, how to I go about doing that?

BK7 discharge on 4/6/15; current FICO scores: EX 646 8/8/16 (started at 599), TU 655 7/18/16 (started at 568), EQ 663 3/15/16 (started at 620); gardening from 9/16 to 4/17; long-term goal: new mortgage in 2019; cards: $2800 Barclaycard Rewards MasterCard | $2500 Baxter Credit Union Cash Rewards | $2000 Synchrony Amazon Prime Store Card | $6000 Dell Store Card
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Reaffirming Mortgage 9 Years After Chapter 7?

Moving to Bankruptcy forum for better visibility

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 3
despritfreya
Frequent Contributor

Re: Reaffirming Mortgage 9 Years After Chapter 7?

@halah wrote:

I own two condos, a three-bedroom unit that I live in now and reaffirmed in my 2015 chapter 7 and a one-bedroom unit that was underwater and discharged in 2015. I've been renting out the discharged unit. . . [If I do want it reaffirmed (the one-bedroom unit), how to I go about doing that?

Simple answer. . . you don't.

You had to reaffirm it BEFORE your Discharge was entered back in 2015.  That ship sailed 9 years ago.

Des.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.