cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any reason to keep NFCU and PenFed after IIB?

tag

Any reason to keep NFCU and PenFed after IIB?

Just received my CH7 discharge.

I burned NFCU and PenFed to the tune of about $100k combined.

I switched banks shortly after filing, but my checking/savings accounts with both CU's survived. (NFCU even returned the $11 in my accounts they temporarily applied to my debts.)

I'm aware they'll never lend to me again. Are there any valid reasons for keeping these accounts open?

I'm going to keep my finances simple this time around. If there is no benefit to keeping these accounts, I'd prefer to just close them.

Ch 7 Discharge May 2015
Ch 7 Discharge March 2024
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Re: Any reason to keep NFCU and PenFed after IIB?

If you aren't paying them back... I'd close them.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 2 of 11
gorgon
Established Contributor

I agree with @TRC_WA 

If they don't eventually close them for you, I feel like they will never treat you the same.

Message 3 of 11
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@GulfCoastSteeler wrote:

Just received my CH7 discharge.

I burned NFCU and PenFed to the tune of about $100k combined.

I switched banks shortly after filing, but my checking/savings accounts with both CU's survived. (NFCU even returned the $11 in my accounts they temporarily applied to my debts.)

I'm aware they'll never lend to me again. Are there any valid reasons for keeping these accounts open?

I'm going to keep my finances simple this time around. If there is no benefit to keeping these accounts, I'd prefer to just close them.

I agree with the other comments, zero benefit from keeping them open.  If you want to have a credit union in your portfolio, there are many others to choose from.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!

In the proverbial sock drawer:
Message 4 of 11

Thanks, everyone!

That was the answer I was expecting, but I wanted to ensure there wasn't something else that I was missing.

Ch 7 Discharge May 2015
Message 5 of 11
CreditPoor
Regular Contributor

Neither bank will forget or loan to you again. Any deposit made would likely trigger an account closing anyway, so best to close and move on

Message 6 of 11

@CreditPoor wrote:

Neither bank will forget or loan to you again. Any deposit made would likely trigger an account closing anyway, so best to close and move on

Done!!

Rebuild underway. I obtained 3 credit cards and am hoping my reaffirmed car loan starts reporting again. If it doesn't, I'll obtain an SSL to satisfy mix of credit. 

Ch 7 Discharge May 2015
Message 7 of 11
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I'm in the same boat. Both were IIB. I know they won't lend to me again but I've been putting off closing the accounts. There might be $10 in each. A downside to the BK

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 690 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800 / Apple Card - $2700 / Walmart Mastercard - $2500

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 8 of 11
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Reading some other posts lead me to checking to see if PENFED really does hate me... I found that the door is still open. At least that is what their website is telling me.  I'm 22 months since DC. They shot me down when I checked to see if I'd be pre-approved for a card but they approved me for a $5200 personal loan. I didn't take that offer to see if it would actually go through in the end. I origionally tried for $3500. They approved that and gave me the higher offer.

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 690 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800 / Apple Card - $2700 / Walmart Mastercard - $2500

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 9 of 11
Lurker22
Frequent Contributor

@masscredit wrote:

Reading some other posts lead me to checking to see if PENFED really does hate me... I found that the door is still open. At least that is what their website is telling me.  I'm 22 months since DC. They shot me down when I checked to see if I'd be pre-approved for a card but they approved me for a $5200 personal loan. I didn't take that offer to see if it would actually go through in the end. I origionally tried for $3500. They approved that and gave me the higher offer.

PENFED's preapproval on the website isn't worth the toilet paper in Putin's bathroom...probably just as reliable too - it's known to give "pre approvals" and followed repeatedly by denials once someone actually applies 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.