Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Leasing and Mortgage DTI if Lease Paid Off

tag
kerplunk
Frequent Contributor

Auto Leasing and Mortgage DTI if Lease Paid Off

My dad passed away, and I am in the process of assuming the mortgage for his house. Assuming a mortgage, my understanding, is very much like applying for a normal mortgage except you get to keep the terms of the existing mortgage (low interest rate).

I am also interested in leasing a new Rivian R1S, where the lease payment would be about $1,000/month = $36,000 total. I have a paid off Tesla which would cover about $30,000, and I absolutely can cover whatever is remaining of the total lease ($6,000 or whatever it may be).

My question is, I know that even if I make all of the 36 payments in advance, the lease will still show up on my credit report. I am wondering how that would affect my mortgage. The mortgage process will take about 2 months, and I am anxious to grab one of these new vehicles now. 

If I pay the lease payments, will they still show as ~$1,000/month on my credit report, or is there some sort of "remaining balance" that would show as $0? In other words, then it wouldn't affect my DTI.

Much appreciated. Thank you so much!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Re: Auto Leasing and Mortgage DTI if Lease Paid Off

Not an expert here.

However I would think with proof of you paying the lease in full

and having insurance on the vehicle, it should not be looked at

as a debt.  ( It is paid in full )

Message 2 of 3
CorpCrMgr1
Valued Contributor

Re: Auto Leasing and Mortgage DTI if Lease Paid Off

I purchased a new car and paid the balance down to a few hundred within a couple of years. My payment always showed the full monthly amount even when I owed  under $20 with FMCC.

Not sure if this helps. Good luck!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.