Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ideal number of revolving tl's?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

ideal number of revolving tl's?

hi everyone.  i am curious if anyone has a feel for the ideal number of revolving tradelines, or is utilization the only/most important factor? my utilization is below 10%, and i have a feeling that i shouldnt open any more accounts, but what do you guys think?

i have had the following for some time:

best buy reward zone mc:  300 cl
orchard bank :                     800 cl
credit one bank visa:           600 cl
capital one:                          500 cl

and added the following within the week:

cit/dell:                               2000 cl
amex delta platinum:         2000 cl
amex hilton honors:           ????? (app "in progress" according to amex website)

Message 1 of 51
50 REPLIES 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: ideal number of revolving tl's?

I usually recommend a minimum of 6. After that your golden. Adding more so far has not boosted my score. But I love my credit cards. The inquiries will sink you however. Try not to have more than 3 per credit report per year. On the other hand I apply like crazy and wait out a year for them to fall off so I don't have to apply later.
Message 2 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where you are right now, I'd work on increasing credit lines before applying for new cards.
Message 3 of 51
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

ilovepizza wrote:

I usually recommend a minimum of 6. .

I usually recommend a maximun of 6

Smiley Very Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 4 of 51
fused
Moderator Emeritus

dog wrote:
hi everyone.  i am curious if anyone has a feel for the ideal number of revolving tradelines, or is utilization the only/most important factor? my utilization is below 10%, and i have a feeling that i shouldnt open any more accounts, but what do you guys think?

i have had the following for some time:

best buy reward zone mc:  300 cl
orchard bank :                     800 cl
credit one bank visa:           600 cl
capital one:                          500 cl

and added the following within the week:

cit/dell:                               2000 cl
amex delta platinum:         2000 cl
amex hilton honors:           ????? (app "in progress" according to amex website)

Not sure there is a magic number.  You might get a lot of different answers to your question.  I have 5 cards and its perfect for me.  I can easily manage them.  Could never understand how someone can have more than 20 cards, whew that's a lot work.  You have 6 and have an app in for the Amex Delta card.  I think the question is do you need more credit?  I think you are off to a good start, raising the cl's should be your goal.

Message Edited by fused111 on 06-15-2007 01:10 PM
Message 5 of 51
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

The magic number is.............

Ready?

Here it comes..............

Can't wait...............

42 Cards!

JK.

The truth is there is no magic number. Smiley Happy The real magic is keeping util low and paying on time.
Message 6 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

While many of us have different opinions on the magic number I think we all agree using more than 4 at a time will lower your score. While you might have many, limit use to 4 or less when pulling your credit scores. Smiley Happy

Too many cards with balances (CODE 05). That was always a neg on my scores until I reduced the number of cards with balances. I moved the balances to limit how many were in use. Negative message disappeared and was replaced with Length of time.... not long enough.

That and the FICO calculator on bankrate.com also shows fewer balances help.
link http://www.bankrate.com/brm/fico/calc.asp?lpid=BKRATE29

Message Edited by ilovepizza on 06-15-2007 10:58 PM
Message 7 of 51
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

ilovepizza wrote:
While many of us have different opinions on the magic number I think we all agree using more than 4 at a time will lower your score. While you might have many, limit use to 4 or less when pulling your credit scores. Smiley Happy

I woulnd't agree with that. What leaves you to believe this is true?
Message 8 of 51
fused
Moderator Emeritus

ilovepizza wrote:

How did you arrive to this conclusion?
Message 9 of 51
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

@fused111 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

How did you arrive to this conclusion?

Because it is the only way to deal with 42 cards? Smiley Very Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 10 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.