Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Gurus...Please Explain This!

tag
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Help Gurus...Please Explain This!

I just checked my FICO EX and my score went down 8 points from a 755 to a 747 FOR NO APPARENT REASON.  I printed both reports (printed the 755 and save it awhile ago and just printed the 747) and did a side by side analysis and the only difference was my accounts aged two months.  Absolutely no lates, no new baddies, nothing dropping off that was positive, no changes on util, no new inq's, cl's the same, no judgments or public records, no new accounts.  Just two additional POSITIVE months of payments on time and little more aging!  Any ideas, beginning to think FICO has the occasional hiccup! 
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: Help Gurus...Please Explain This!

1.  EX hates you

2.  The moon was waxing when the compter made the calculations.

3.  The moon was waning when the computer made its calculations

4.  Uranus was in Venus at the time.

5.  A butterfly flapped its wings in Japan.

6.  The was a power surge in Paris, France.

Smiley Very Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 2 of 18
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Seeing that EX hates most people I am going with option 1.
Message 3 of 18
girlie
Regular Contributor

for the same reason that my eq score went up 16 points with no changes and only increased 5 points when i paid my debt down significantly.....unknown.  this is so frustrating sometimes that i obsess trying to figure it all out.
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a guess. Temp points based on trend. If trend stops, loose the trend points. Totally a guess, nothing to base it upon. The thought just popped in my head.
Message 5 of 18
smallfry
Senior Contributor

The slight changes month to month might have as much to do with activities by others in the same pool as what you did. I'm beginning to think it pays to take a longer term view of the scoring.
Message 6 of 18
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

I am taking a very long view - I am figuring out where I will be in the summer of 2008   Smiley Very Happy

Minor fluctuations don't bother me, I just want to see appropriate increases when I follow the rules and get something right
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 7 of 18
fused
Moderator Emeritus

smallfry wrote:
The slight changes month to month might have as much to do with activities by others in the same pool as what you did. I'm beginning to think it pays to take a longer term view of the scoring.

I have heard some talk about "pools."  Has this really been substantiated, or just speculation? 
Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Some call them "pools", some call them "buckets", and I think the official term is "scorecards". The concept does account for a lot of otherwise unexplainable score changes. In a closed-end model (850 max), it seems reasonable that a "grading curve" effect would be part of the formula. If the average of most people in your scorecard group goes up during one month (from actively fixing things), and you are on cruise control (just gathering history since you already fixed everything else), then perhaps your score might take a slight ding because of that.

It's still all based on anecdotal evidence and assumptions - nobody is going to divulge the specifics of the formula. Smiley Happy
Message 9 of 18
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Revike wrote:
Some call them "pools", some call them "buckets", and I think the official term is "scorecards". The concept does account for a lot of otherwise unexplainable score changes. In a closed-end model (850 max), it seems reasonable that a "grading curve" effect would be part of the formula. If the average of most people in your scorecard group goes up during one month (from actively fixing things), and you are on cruise control (just gathering history since you already fixed everything else), then perhaps your score might take a slight ding because of that.

It's still all based on anecdotal evidence and assumptions - nobody is going to divulge the specifics of the formula. Smiley Happy

That is fascinating!  I guess my history/math degrees cannot even help here.  What you are saying makes perfectly good sense.  I am not in credit repair mode mostly just watching my util and paying on time.  Always!!!  In response to this drop in my EX score, I pushed the amex luv button and received a sizable cli on my Blue card, further lowering my util to about 1.4%.  Now if just the **bleep** accounts would start reporting on EX.Smiley Wink
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.