Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO Equifax question

tag
BCarumba
New Visitor

FICO Equifax question

Equifax says my score has 3 strikes against it and that's why it dropped. When I clicked on the question mark, it cited these reasons:

What is hurting your score

• Lack of recent non-mortgage loan information
  • Few accounts paid on time
  • High credit usage
  • Accounts with balances

The ONLY one that is correct is that I have a monthly credit card bill with a balance that I pay in full every month. None of the others apply.

I tried to initiate a dispute but Equifax doesn't haven't a section where I can dispute these incorrect reasons.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
GZG
Valued Contributor

Re: FICO Equifax question

@BCarumba wrote:

Equifax says my score has 3 strikes against it and that's why it dropped. When I clicked on the question mark, it cited these reasons:

• High credit usage
  • Accounts with balances

The ONLY one that is correct is that I have a monthly credit card bill with a balance that I pay in full every month. None of the others apply.

I tried to initiate a dispute but Equifax doesn't haven't a section where I can dispute these incorrect reasons.

Thank you.

the reasons are there to show you why you don't have a perfect score, they aren't saying you're doing anything wrong or there's anything wrong with your report or score

where did you get this score/reasons? 

only having one credit card would make all of these reasons true: 

• High credit usage
  • Accounts with balances
Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 2 of 14
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@BCarumba wrote:

• High credit usage
  • Accounts with balances

Thank you.

Let me guess, you're fussing about a Vantage score.  Yes, no?  Assuming I'm correct, Vantage scores are irrelevant so why do you even care?

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 3 of 14
Zoostation1
Valued Contributor

@BCarumbaReason codes can't be disputed.  They're not actually part of your credit report and as someone else already said they don't automatically mean you're doing something wrong with how you're using credit.  They exist to show you what's impacting your scores (you can have multiple negative reason codes and still have a very good or excellent score.  If you're paying off your cards monthly in full and are either current on a loan or don't have a loan I wouldn't worry about it.

Rebuild Started Nov 2021
June 2022 FICO 8:
June 2022 FICO 9:
May 2024 FICO 8:
May 2024 FICO 9:
Message 4 of 14
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@BCarumba wrote:

• High credit usage
  • Accounts with balances

Thank you.

If you only have a few accounts then by definition you would have few accounts paid on time.

If you have no open loans or only an open mortgage then you would have a lack of recent non mortgage information.

If your aggregate revolving balance is over 9% then you have high credit use. (Note: if you have only 1 card then card utilization equals aggregate utilization).

Not sure what the accounts with balances is referring to. However, I suspect it relates to % of revolving accounts with balances. Either 50% or over 50% triggers this reason statement. If you only have 1 card and it reports a balance, you are at 100%. 

Side note: It is ALWAYS better scorewise to report one card with a small balance than all zero balances. This is true even if you only have one card.

As mentioned above, reason statements can not be disputed. Actually, credit score can't be disputed either. What can be disputed is information in your credit reports.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 5 of 14
FicoMike0
Established Contributor

Welcome to the forum.

You'll get better answers from more details. You don't give before and after scores. I'm going to assume the only thing on your report is a single credit card that you put each month. Then,

Lack of recent non-mortgage loan information

Is correct, you have no loan, you lose points there.

Few accounts paid on time
You only have one account, lose points

High credit usage

If your balance posts above 29% of credit limit, you lose points. To control this, you need to pay it down before it posts or increase your cl.

Accounts with balances

Since your one account is posting a balance, that's 100%, too many, you lose points. Btw if you pay it to zero, you'll get a zero balance penalty, lol.

Based on the assume I made, you need at least two more cards, two of which always post zero, and an installment loan

Btw you can't dispute the reasons, only the data.

If you post more detail im sure you'll get better help than this.  In the meantime, search azeo, ssl and 'score cards'.

Message 6 of 14
BCarumba
New Visitor

I have no idea what you mean by fussing about a Vantage score. 

Message 7 of 14
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

The way your original post was written it implied you were looking at an Equifax Vantage score, if so, then ignore it and any annotations which come with it, they are irrelevant.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 8 of 14
FlaDude
Established Contributor

@BCarumba wrote:

I have no idea what you mean by fussing about a Vantage score. 

Scores provided by sites like Credit Karma, Nerdwallet and may others are not FICO scores, they are created by a different scoring model called Vantage. Vantage scores are not widely used by lenders. Can you verify where you are getting your scores from?

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 9 of 14
Barkius

I still don't understand why people are deeming vantage scores as irrelevant. Synchrony uses vantage 4 and pretty much every single consumer credit portal gives vantage scores. So if you tell people to disregard vantage scores, number one they're not going to do well with synchrony and, number two, most people will simply leave to find someone who will actually address their questions.

The old concept of vantage being a fako score is a bit antiquated in my opinion. Vantage is relevant because it's what people see, It's cheap to update therefore it's frequently updated and hence if you dismiss all of them for caring about it then you're going to be disregarding a lot of questions and concerns from a major segment of consumers.

It's fine to educate people on the differences but to say "well I'm not going to answer your question because you're referencing a vantage score rather than a FICO score and most lenders don't use Vantage scores" It's just going to make people go somewhere else. It's simply not helpful.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.