Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Score Impact

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Score Impact

Currently my credit scores are mid 600's the negatives per myfico is because I had credit cards that were all close to the limit, no other issues. I recently got approved for a consolidation loan, I am assuming this will help my credit score in the next 4-6 months since my resource utilization will be 0%? Thanks
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Credit Score Impact

Define "consolidation loan". Was this a personal loan, HELOC, ect.?
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Personal loan; so installment
Message 3 of 10
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Revolving will improve but you will most likely see installment debt too high since once the account is opened it will be totally utilized. Better scenario for your scores though.
Message 4 of 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@smallfry wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Revolving will improve but you will most likely see installment debt too high since once the account is opened it will be totally utilized. Better scenario for your scores though.

I disagree!  The OP states his cc's are near maxed out.  If he/she takes the money from the loan and pay the cc's as close as possible to 1-9% util, there should be a sizable score increase.  In my experience with new installment loans, I hardly suffered a drop in scores.  Util on revolving TLs carries much more weight than on installment TLs.
Message 5 of 10
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@fused111 wrote:

@smallfry wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I disagree! The OP states his cc's are near maxed out. If he/she takes the money from the loan and pay the cc's as close as possible to 1-9% util, there should be a sizable score increase. In my experience with new installment loans, I hardly suffered a drop in scores. Util on revolving TLs carries much more weight than on installment TLs.

No doubt. My point was he will most certainly see that comment on his reports. His score should go up though I agree. My new car loan forces the installment debt too high comment because it is new and by virtue of that fact is nearly totally utilized. If I paid a good portion down on the car loan I am sure that I wouldn't get that message.
Message 6 of 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@smallfry wrote:

@fused111 wrote:

@smallfry wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I disagree! The OP states his cc's are near maxed out. If he/she takes the money from the loan and pay the cc's as close as possible to 1-9% util, there should be a sizable score increase. In my experience with new installment loans, I hardly suffered a drop in scores. Util on revolving TLs carries much more weight than on installment TLs.

No doubt. My point was he will most certainly see that comment on his reports. His score should go up though I agree. My new car loan forces the installment debt too high comment because it is new and by virtue of that fact is nearly totally utilized. If I paid a good portion down on the car loan I am sure that I wouldn't get that message.

I use to pay attention to comments like that but they seem meaningless.  Even with comments like the one you are mentioning, they do not impact scores, well FICO scores that is.  I just ignore the comments, especially the one's at TC.
Message 7 of 10
smallfry
Senior Contributor

I don't even look at the FAKO scores at all. I think FICO likes to see installments but doesn't really reward them too much.
Message 8 of 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

smallfry wrote:
I don't even look at the FAKO scores at all. I think FICO likes to see installments but doesn't really reward them too much.

They will slowly, if you pay on time for years.
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@fused111 wrote:

@smallfry wrote:

They will slowly, if you pay on time for years.

Yep, you are rewarded over time. I would like to add one more thing. The OP might also see a small lift or rebound in score after 60 days of opening the installment if the OP looses (does not always happen) points for opening a new account. So you might get more after you think you got lots, which could be lots more. Smiley Happy
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.