cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you ask the credit card companies to report paid off balances sooner?

tag
mloupagu
Established Member

Can you ask the credit card companies to report paid off balances sooner?

I recently paid off a ton of credit card debt which should raise my FICO scores significantly. I want to trade in my old car for a new one but want to wait until they are reported as paid off. Right now my scores are TU 693, Experian 728 and EQifax 665. With the credit card payments made score should go up to 770 according to the FICO simulator. As impatient as I am to get my new vehicle, can I call the credit card companies and ask them to report the paid balance right away or do they do when they do it??
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: Can you ask the credit card companies to report paid off balances sooner?

Patience is a virtue...Smiley Wink

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 2 of 5
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

There is such a thing as rapid rescore... but I think it only works with mortages.. I would wait it out (30 days max).
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm going through that right now. I opened a dispute, faxed in statements. They said it can be any where from 5 days to 30 days. Bank will do a normal update in 20 days. Who knows. I am bugging the pollen off CRA's flowers to get it done faster.

If you paid a LARGE payoff, you can call the bank, sometimes they are more willing to send in a faster update, they can if they want to. They have done it for me *but* only after a large pay off. It can't hurt to ask them.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know one of my cc's only reports every 2 months.  I don't think it would hurt to dispute them with the CRA's.  You might get faster results, or you might not.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.