Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1/3 of cards reporting balance, data point

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

1/3 of cards reporting balance, data point

Usually I have well below one third of my revolving accounts reporting a balance.

The other day, when I had 6 accounts reporting a balance, I closed my 3 Synchrony accounts, bringing my total of reporting revolving open accounts down to 21.

On one of the cards, although I'd paid the balance over a week earlier, Synchrony reported an $18 balance when it reported closing the accounts, thus putting me at 7 accounts reporting a balance with only 21 accounts open.

I just got a MyFICO alert that my TU FICO 8 score has dropped 5 points, from 811 to 806. The alert added a negative reason code that had not appeared when I pulled my report a few weeks ago:

"Too many accounts with balances."

This seems to support the view that 1/3 of accounts carrying a balance is indeed a breakpoint.

[Update 2:54 PM. Oops, I just noticed that there are 4 negative reason codes, none of which appeared with my last 3B report:

• Length of time revolving accounts have been established.
  • Too many inquiries last 12 months.
  • Time since most recent account opening is too short.
  • Too many accounts with balances.

But there is nothing worse in my report today than there was 2 weeks ago. Length of time, inquiries, most recent account... were all as bad 2 weeks ago as they are today.]

Update 4:24 PM Credit Guy in Dixie advises of another possible reason for scoring hit, that FICO treats closed accounts as having zero credit limit, so that even a small balance could be interpreted as >100% utilization.

Total revolving limits 657200 (536700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 706 TU 710 EX 708

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 1/3 of cards reporting balance, data point

My reports support this too - I have 14 card accounts. When only 2 report a balance, it is fine. I just got a new report the other day, and 3 reported a balance, and the reason codes were the same as yours. My discover card had a pending charge through the statement end date. So while my statement balance was 0, it reported balance with pending charge Smiley Sad

All my scores dropped 5-7 points when discover reported its balance. 

Message 2 of 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

What's the status of your TU file where you're seeing the 1/3?  Clean I think IIRC?

On my dirty tax lien / deliquency enabled file (occurred when I had a collection on there too) I see 1/3 only on EQ FICO 8, and 1/2 on TU/EX FICO 8 and that's held consistently for the past few years... EQ FICO 5 appears to be 1/2 on my file.

Clean profiles may be different, I got a real oddity on EX FICO 8 when my tax lien came off but I think going to just chalk that up as a broken datapoint until I get better testing in sometime later.

        
Message 3 of 7
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

What's the status of your TU file where you're seeing the 1/3?  Clean I think IIRC?

On my dirty tax lien / deliquency enabled file (occurred when I had a collection on there too) I see 1/3 only on EQ FICO 8, and 1/2 on TU/EX FICO 8 and that's held consistently for the past few years... EQ FICO 5 appears to be 1/2 on my file.

Clean profiles may be different, I got a real oddity on EX FICO 8 when my tax lien came off but I think going to just chalk that up as a broken datapoint until I get better testing in sometime later.

No negatives.

So are you saying that you have seen a difference among the FICO 8 responses to number of revolvers reporting balances, with EQ treating 1/3 as a breakpoint, and TU and EX treating 1/2 as a breakpoint?

Message 4 of 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

No negatives.

So are you saying that you have seen a difference among the FICO 8 responses to number of revolvers reporting balances, with EQ treating 1/3 as a breakpoint, and TU and EX treating 1/2 as a breakpoint?

Yup that's been consistent for me at least.  EQ also has another breakpoint at 1/2, but of the 3 EQ is the only one that has a breakpoint under 1/2.

Incidently the aggregate damage on all 3 bureaus for getting to 1/2 was nearly point identical (7-8 points) just with the EQ one going -3 and -4 = -7 totals where the others hit it in one step.

        
Message 5 of 7
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

No negatives.

Yup that's been consistent for me at least.  EQ also has another breakpoint at 1/2, but of the 3 EQ is the only one that has a breakpoint under 1/2.

Incidently the aggregate damage on all 3 bureaus for getting to 1/2 was nearly point identical (7-8 points) just with the EQ one going -3 and -4 = -7 totals where the others hit it in one step.

Your distinguishing between the 3 bureaus on this inspired me to look at my EQ & EX reports.

My current EQ & EX reports both also contain 7 reported balances against 21 open accounts, and my EQ FICO 8 went up 3 points while my EX FICO 8 hasn't moved.

So go figure.

Maybe there's something else at play here.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think we've determined that the percentage of cards reporting balances and their impact on score is very profile-specific.  What may be 1/3 for some could be 1/2 for someone else or all cards for another. 

As I've posted on here in the past, with 4 total revolvers if I let 1, 2, 3 or 4 report my score doesn't change.  The only way I get a score change (decrease of 16-22 points depending on bureau) is if 0 of them report.

This is with a dirty score card.  Actually, as Rev pointed out to me last week I believe, I'm no longer dirty on EQ... perhaps I'll let all my cards report a balance again and see if EQ drops some while TU and EX remain the same.  It seems odd to me that scoring would hit a dirty score card less than a clean one... but what do I know.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.