Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PSLF/IDR waiver confusion

tag
Momof5
Frequent Contributor

PSLF/IDR waiver confusion

I have $123K in SLs.  These loans cover my ASN and BSN/MSN education.  Part of the total is $23K in Parent Plus loans for my daughter.

I currently work for a qualified PSLF employer.  (I worked for them for 37 months, left (less than 2 yrs), and was rehired 1 May).  I have made only 3 payments which have all been since the restart after the pandemic.  I had 3 general forbearances prior to the pandemic.  (Other "forebearances" were for being back in school.)  

IDR is a bad thing for me.  Payments would increase.  So I am on standard.  I have not consolidated.  

So here are my questions:

1.) If I consolidate, do I include the Parent Plus Loans?

2.) I have applied for the PSLF.  So, the pandemic pause was 3 yrs 7 months...or 43 payments.  The prior forebearances were 36 months.  Total 'payments' 43+36=79.  Is that how this is going to be calculated?

3.) From what I read, you have to work for the qualified employer for 10 years.  I currently have 3 yrs 9 months.  So I have to continue with them for 6 yrs 3 months before the forgiveness?

If the above is true, I would have made 78 payments in $ by the time my employment reaches the 10 years.  I would also be 68 yrs old at that point.  I guess that would render the forebearances a moot point since 78 payments plus 43 pandemic pause would be 121 "payments".  It would save me almost $50k in the last payments/interest.

Where is my understanding incorrect?

Starting Score: 472
Current Score: EQ:703 TU: 729 EX:737
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Benny2019

Re: PSLF/IDR waiver confusion

The below group helped me the most when I was going through this process.  I found it to be the most informative and supportive group for PSLF.

https://facebook.com/groups/pslfprogramsupport/

Message 2 of 3
KMonique
New Visitor

Re: PSLF/IDR waiver confusion

Did you do the TEPSLF application before 10/1/22?  If not, you should have consolidated them all, including the parent plus loan, prior to 12/31/23 to get the IDR adjustment on the entire balance. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.