tag
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

Re: Cost of medication

@NoHardLimits wrote:

@Horseshoez wrote:

@Jnbmom wrote:

@Horseshoez wrote:

I was recently diagnosed with something, errr, something not good, but if managed properly, something else will probably kill me first.  Regarding that "managed" part, I had two options, 1) monthly expensive injections, or 2) a many times more expensive 1-time surgery; I opted for the latter.  Yeah, the surgery cost over $4,300 out of pocket (my insurance covered most of the bill), but I figure I'll come out ahead in less than a year, and my plan is to stick around for another 20 or 30 years.  Smiley Happy

This getting old stuff stinks.  :smileymad

yes getting old stinks . I hope you on the road to a full recovery .

I had forgotten about this thread; I have an update...

My doctor has me on an additional medication, and I almost choked when I heard about the cost, it is a single tablet per day at the cost of $100 per tablet!  Fortunately I qualify for a few programs which help offset that cost.

Best wishes for a good outcome to @Horseshoez .

I just got confirmation of shipment for one of my 90-day mail order prescriptions.  In January, that medicine cost me almost $800.  Today, my bill was only $60 due to some coupon that the PBM applied on my behalf.  It's hard to believe, but they lowered my cost without me having to proactively ask for any discount.  I wonder what the price will be in 3 months?

Thanks!

Two of the more insidious side effects of my treatments are osteoporosis and cardiovascular decline; I was a distance runner until about two years ago when surgeons took out part of my right knee due to an injury I suffered back in the early 1970s.  My doctors are telling me if I can get my knee replaced and start running again I will basically counteract the side effects; needless to say, my knee doctor isn't happy.  I asked him, "What happens if I start running again?"

He said, "You'll wear out the knee in eight to ten years."

"Okay, and what happens then?"

"We'll need to make a small incision, pull out the worn out liner, slide in a new liner, and sew you back up; you'll be off your feet for a week or two."

"Got it, so my plan is to wear the darned thing out three times before I go Tango Uniform."

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!

In the proverbial sock drawer:
Message 11 of 16
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

@Horseshoez wrote:

@NoHardLimits wrote:

@Horseshoez wrote:

@Jnbmom wrote:

@Horseshoez wrote:

I was recently diagnosed with something, errr, something not good, but if managed properly, something else will probably kill me first.  Regarding that "managed" part, I had two options, 1) monthly expensive injections, or 2) a many times more expensive 1-time surgery; I opted for the latter.  Yeah, the surgery cost over $4,300 out of pocket (my insurance covered most of the bill), but I figure I'll come out ahead in less than a year, and my plan is to stick around for another 20 or 30 years.  Smiley Happy

This getting old stuff stinks.  :smileymad

yes getting old stinks . I hope you on the road to a full recovery .

I had forgotten about this thread; I have an update...

My doctor has me on an additional medication, and I almost choked when I heard about the cost, it is a single tablet per day at the cost of $100 per tablet!  Fortunately I qualify for a few programs which help offset that cost.

Best wishes for a good outcome to @Horseshoez .

I just got confirmation of shipment for one of my 90-day mail order prescriptions.  In January, that medicine cost me almost $800.  Today, my bill was only $60 due to some coupon that the PBM applied on my behalf.  It's hard to believe, but they lowered my cost without me having to proactively ask for any discount.  I wonder what the price will be in 3 months?

Thanks!

Two of the more insidious side effects of my treatments are osteoporosis and cardiovascular decline; I was a distance runner until about two years ago when surgeons took out part of my right knee due to an injury I suffered back in the early 1970s.  My doctors are telling me if I can get my knee replaced and start running again I will basically counteract the side effects; needless to say, my knee doctor isn't happy.  I asked him, "What happens if I start running again?"

He said, "You'll wear out the knee in eight to ten years."

"Okay, and what happens then?"

"We'll need to make a small incision, pull out the worn out liner, slide in a new liner, and sew you back up; you'll be off your feet for a week or two."

"Got it, so my plan is to wear the darned thing out three times before I go Tango Uniform."

Maybe you can find an alternative exercise regiment that is less harsh for your knees, but still good for cardio and vascular.  Something lower impact.  How about some type of biking, or an eliptical machine?

May 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, NO New Revolver [will be reassigned when new account starts reporting]
FICO8:
FICO9:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 0 mos | New Accounts: 1/6, 1/12, 3/24 | Util: 1% | DTI: 1%
Message 12 of 16
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@NoHardLimits wrote:

Maybe you can find an alternative exercise regiment that is less harsh for your knees, but still good for cardio and vascular.  Something lower impact.  How about some type of biking, or an eliptical machine?

Nope, they were very specific, it is the impact on the femur which generates the hormones I need to counteract the osteoporosis.  As for other forms of exercise:

• I was an avid cyclist for years, carpal tunnel in my hands put an end to that.
  • Swimming; I dislocated my right shoulder a half-mile out into a very cold lake during a triathlon in 1990 and it has caused enough or a range of motion issue to cause me to give up swimming in the late 1990s.
  • Elliptical; causes severe plantar fascitis for me (to the point where I need crutches in the morning just to get around).
  • Rowing: I'm currently rowing 45 minutes per day, which helps with the cardio, but it don't do nuthin' on the osteoporosis front.

The other thing about running is it is a fast form of exercise, punch out a 6-mile run in about an hour, shower, and I'm back at my desk.

Message 13 of 16
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

@Horseshoez wrote:

@NoHardLimits wrote:

Nope, they were very specific, it is the impact on the femur which generates the hormones I need to counteract the osteoporosis.  As for other forms of exercise:

• I was an avid cyclist for years, carpal tunnel in my hands put an end to that.
  • Swimming; I dislocated my right shoulder a half-mile out into a very cold lake during a triathlon in 1990 and it has caused enough or a range of motion issue to cause me to give up swimming in the late 1990s.
  • Elliptical; causes severe plantar fascitis for me (to the point where I need crutches in the morning just to get around).
  • Rowing: I'm currently rowing 45 minutes per day, which helps with the cardio, but it don't do nuthin' on the osteoporosis front.

The other thing about running is it is a fast form of exercise, punch out a 6-mile run in about an hour, shower, and I'm back at my desk.

How about ballroom dancing?  I'm only half kidding.

May 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, NO New Revolver [will be reassigned when new account starts reporting]
FICO8:
FICO9:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 0 mos | New Accounts: 1/6, 1/12, 3/24 | Util: 1% | DTI: 1%
Message 14 of 16
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@NoHardLimits wrote:

@Horseshoez wrote:

@NoHardLimits wrote:

How about ballroom dancing?  I'm only half kidding.

All good!  Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 16
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

I enjoy cycling but, my hands go numb even with ergonomic handlebar grips. I don't have that problem when I ride my True ES900 stationary bike. The bike provides excellent cardio.

I also have a Precor elliptical. I like that it offers full body range of motion including arm movement as part of use. The elliptical is less strenuous on the heart than spin cycling.

I take a couple oral meds that cost $4k every 90 days retail. I use good rx on one of them which drop cost to me to $10 after rx discount + insurance vs $2500 retail. Unfortunately there is a mfg ceiling for calander year discounts which I reach every 6 months. Then it's back to retail price less insurance.

I still end up reaching max out of pocket on my insurance ($3750) every year. After that no more cost for meds.

I will be switching to medicare end of this year. The manufacturer's rx discount is not available thru medicare.

I heard about the "donut hole" that exists for prescription drugs in medicare. Biden mentioned legislation was passed to limit this to $2k. Not sure if that's true across the board. After all, separate coverage is needed thru one of the various medicare advantage plans or a medicare part D drug plan.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.